• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is WotC over-thinking the Ranger?

EditorBFG

Explorer
Maybe it's just me, but with the new Unearthed Arcana ranger, is WotC trying too hard to solve a problem that is simpler? Yes, I find the Ranger to be underpowered at 1st level (unique among all classes, has no class starting abilities that help it be more effective in combat) and I consider only one archetype-- the Hunter-- to be worthwhile, while the Beastmaster archetype is way underpowered. But other than these two issues, Rangers would be fine, wouldn't they? The new playtest class, with its weird hit points and spirit mechanic and confusing relationship with spellcasting, just seems like a lot of effort to solve a minor problem.

Easy solution to fix the PHB version:
1) Replace Favored Enemy with any kind of decent combat mojo (Ambuscade, which they included in the new version, would fit the bill, though it needs playtesting).
2) Add another archetype, since Beastmaster is such an inferior choice (maybe one based on all this Spirit Companion stuff in the new version).

There. Done. Am I wrong?

pukunui

Legend
I think they're just experimenting. Yes, they could make some simpler fixes ... personally, I think the ranger just needs some minor tweaks to things like their favored enemy, favored terrain, and primal awareness abilities. I like the focus on exploration over combat, by the way, I just think some of those things are a little too narrow.

Green1

First Post
1) Replace Favored Enemy with any kind of decent combat mojo (Ambuscade, which they included in the new version, would fit the bill, though it needs playtesting).

Well, the concept of "favored enemy" is kind of an archetype ability. I think the 5e direction of letting you divide up between different kinds of humanoids is a good step.

I like the ranger, too. But I think more of the problem is the ranger has lots of terrain dependent effects and alot of people neglect the Ranger's great detection and scouting abilities and just want a dual wield fighter or archer fighter.

The Beastmaster can be fixed trivially by interpreting it such that the pet will continue to follow a command until a new one is given.

You neglected to mention that the class has the absolute worst capstone ability at level 20, for what it matters.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Maybe, they did have 2 years of playtesting to over-think everything, and still somehow got the ranger 'wrong' in their own estimation. It's just not a very strong concept. It was Aragorn - as 'Strider,' really - to start with. Now it's just become a traditional class name and mismatched selection of sacred cow class features in search of a meaningful concept.

Maybe they should just leave it alone, as far as the PH goes, anyway. There are fans of the Ranger from various editions. As long as they can play something recognizeably one of those, the Standard-Game PH Ranger is doing it's job. Another alternate ranger archetype or few won't hurt anything though.
No reason not to try a few things.

I think it is probably us the fans who are overthinking it since it seems that most folks just want a nature oriented fighter with a bit of sneaking and some healing but also want the words "Class: Ranger" on our character sheets.

Probably the best thing for WOTC to do is basically give us what we want... just refluff the basic fighter chassis with nature skills, an expertise option for stealth and survival and a few flavor ribbons, call it a "Ranger" and then use the subclasses to deliver extraordinary stealth, magical healing, 1/3rd casting, prefered terrains and favored enemies. I am fine with animal companion being spun off as a feat so druids and barbarians could get a crack at it too if so inclined, but a buffed up Beastmaster might be fine to.

As it is the Hunter Ranger seems to play fine, far better than it reads in any case. Moving the Fighting Style down to first level and a better capstone ability would certainly make the class look a bit better for someone reading the class the first time.

CaptainGemini

First Post
I think both players and WotC are overthinking it. There's a few classes that are not necessarily the best at level 1, but come into their own in later levels. But, that fits with the flavor of what level 1 is. Amateurs, not professionals.

Yaarel

He-Mage
Maybe the Ranger combat bonuses should switch from applying versus a favored enemy to instead applying when in ones favored terrain.

Remove ads