D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
Does the spider regain hit points no matter if the target dies from its bite or not?

The intent was that it only regains hit points when the the creature dies. I see how the wording is a bit ambiguous

Edit: And I feel that the davastation vermin lacks defenses against flying opponents. It might take a while to go through the Decastation Swarm's 10,000 hp for example, but it can't really do anything about except burrowing underground. At CR57, I see this as a major flaw.

I agree in general. However, I don't think every monster has to have defense against range attacks. A lack of ranged defense for an epic monster should be rare, but some times you need range attacks to shine too. Furthermore, it there is one type of epic monster I wanted to nerf ranged attack defense, it would be vermin. Additionally, when these get updated to the 2nd or 3rd drafts I will add descriptive text. That is where I would discuss the lack of range defenses and how to use these vermin effectively for epic encounters.

That being said, most have some type of range defense: centipede burrows, spider has a ranged attack that holds you in place, and the beetle has armor that reduces ranged weapon damage. Only the scorpion doesn't have specific defense, but it is the fastest.

dave2008

Legend
I have added Bael to the Dukes of Hell section.

Completed:
xixecal
Amon
chichimec
Mordenkainen
tayellah
Balcoth
infernal
Dodkong
hecatoncheires
devastation centipede
phaethon
Maul-Tar
dream larva
devastation spider
devastation scorpion
devastation beetle
devastation swarm
Bael

Up Next:
prismasaurus
Solkara
Hutijin
genius loci
Timesus
Elminster
Primus
Eclavdra

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Edit: And I feel that the davastation vermin lacks defenses against flying opponents. It might take a while to go through the Decastation Swarm's 10,000 hp for example, but it can't really do anything about except burrowing underground. At CR57, I see this as a major flaw.

Any suggestions on how to improve the ranged defense?

The intent was that it only regains hit points when the the creature dies. I see how the wording is a bit ambiguous

I agree in general. However, I don't think every monster has to have defense against range attacks. A lack of ranged defense for an epic monster should be rare, but some times you need range attacks to shine too. Furthermore, it there is one type of epic monster I wanted to nerf ranged attack defense, it would be vermin. Additionally, when these get updated to the 2nd or 3rd drafts I will add descriptive text. That is where I would discuss the lack of range defenses and how to use these vermin effectively for epic encounters.

That being said, most have some type of range defense: centipede burrows, spider has a ranged attack that holds you in place, and the beetle has armor that reduces ranged weapon damage. Only the scorpion doesn't have specific defense, but it is the fastest.

Some things are vulnerable to ranged. (agree with above by [MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION])

Any suggestions on how to improve the ranged defense?
I dunno. I don't think there is an immediately easy solution, and will have to think about it.

What I do know is that the centipede swarm should wipe the floor with even the most powerful of Dave's greater gods. That is not going to happen.

Maybe one should accept that you can't use the CR guidelines 1:1 when dealing with mindless opponents without ranged defenses? So the centipede swarm is reduced to a lower CR than the numbers indicate.
Thoughts?

dave2008

Legend
I dunno. I don't think there is an immediately easy solution, and will have to think about it.

What I do know is that the centipede swarm should wipe the floor with even the most powerful of Dave's greater gods. That is not going to happen.

Maybe one should accept that you can't use the CR guidelines 1:1 when dealing with mindless opponents without ranged defenses? So the centipede swarm is reduced to a lower CR than the numbers indicate.
Thoughts?

Well, there is also the issue that the swarm couldn't make all of the attacks against one target, so that could factor into a sidebar or something. I thought about writing that into the traits and then dropped it. I will think about it more.

dave2008

Legend
Thoughts?

I don't think lower the CR is wise either, as it could lead to an extremely lethal fight under the right conditions. Thus, I think my preference is to have a side bar explaining how to use them, and how that might affect challenge & XP rewards. In the side bar you can describe how using these in a situation were they can't avoid or counter act ranged attacks will reduce their CR (and XP) by 5 or whatever.

dave2008

Legend
I have added the prismasaurus to the Monstrosities section and Solkara to the Primordials section

Completed:
xixecal
Amon
chichimec
Mordenkainen
tayellah
Balcoth
infernal
Dodkong
hecatoncheires
devastation centipede
phaethon