D&D 5E [IC] Uller's Out of the Abyss

SunGold

First Post
Surana looks in disgust at the murky passage and recalls the violent slop in the pool below Velkynvelve. "Agreed. There may be more than mud in there."

Uller

Adventurer
You all turn around and start looking for another way, leaving Shuushar laying in the mud. He watches you, shrugs and resigns himself to the notion that you'd rather go around. He sloshes about one last time, rejoicing in the soothing moisture on his skin then rises back to his feet and joins you. Indicating a rising side passage, "The way around is this way."

The path rises and rises, winding up, up, often becoming vertical. You spend what seems like hours and hours climbing. It is grueling. You're not sure if you've climbed miles or if it is just your weakened state making you feel as if you have.

"You didn't say we were going over!" Eldeth complains.

"We're not. But we're having to get above The Chasm," Shuushar explains.

"The Chasm? You didn't say anyting about a Chasm!"

"You didn't ask. Here we are. That is The Chasm...half a mile wide. Five hundred feet deep. FIVE miles long..." Shuushar motions for Surana to direct her light stone toward a gaping darkness in front of you. The light seems to be swallowed as it meekly illuminates a great void filled with the blackness of eternal night. There is a path at the ledge leading down into the empty space but as you approach it, what you expect to be more darkness further below, you instead see what seems to be a hint of silvery reflections. Sparkles of light glinting off faint lines of...something. Shuushar's unblinking eyes stares at this and ponders. You can see he is hesitating...he didn't expect the chasm to be filled with what appears to be filled with a sea of you-don't-know-what.

Sarith kneels down near a rock and smiles wickedly. "Spider web" he says as he rises while pulling at a silken strand attached to the rock. "A hole, half a mile wide, five miles long and FILLED with spider webs. This should be good..."

But at that moment a voice comes from below you. "It's not that hard to cross, drow. We do it all the time!" Then another voice, higher pitched and raspier "Yeeeeahh. W-w-w-eee does it al-al-all the time! hahahahaha! For the right price, we'll show you the ways across."

You realize that there are too goblins resting on the ledge below you near the webs.

Jimjar helpfully points out in a whisper to Erevan "If we go back now and the drow are still following us, we're bound to run straight into them. We must cross!"

DMAesh

Explorer
Ezraen stares down into the abyss that Erevan fell into. Shaken, he begins a prayer to the Dawnlord, Lathander, Please watch over 'Van, and usher him to his great rewards...

With a soft chuckle, tears stinging his eyes he continues, Help Yukyuk find Spiderbait too, they don't deserve that kind of betrayal.

Taking a deep breath, the half-drow paladin gets to his feet and snatches up the jar of grease. "Eldeth, light please. We have to get across without the goblins' help, and Surana's going to need the light to see."

"'Ana, you ready to go? The drow is right, we have to keep ahead of the hunting party."

OOC: Yes, [MENTION=6801671]SunGold[/MENTION] and I both decided that light would be better and less dangerous. We will just have to keep an eye out for attacks again. When the terrain allows, we can extinguish the light later.

Uller

Adventurer
OOC:
Let's see if I can remember how to roll...

Shuushar looks about, his fish eyes peering at different angles. He makes a gurgling-moaning sound...

Navigation check (DC 10): [roll0]

"Ah...yes...this way, I think." He points to a strand as thick as a dwarf's thumb sagging off into the blackness. "There is some grease on it. Like the goblins have used it before."

OOC:
I have lost who has failed to learn how to slide on the webs...I think Turvy and Derendil (along with Erevan and Buppido). Everyone else made it, iirc.

Turvy finally gets the hang of it and easily makes this second climb. Derendil on the other hand is still struggling, becomes stuck and is lagging behind (but at least he doesn't fall).

You manage to make it another 500 feet or so. You are now about a third of the way across the chasm by Shuushar's estimate. Nothing has accosted you on this leg of the trek, although as you worked to free Derendil, you'd swear you saw several sets of eyes flashing in the dark.

The web you are traversing comes to a great knot of webs attached to a greater web hanging from the ceiling unseen above you.

What do you do now? Continue on as you are?

Last edited:

DMAesh

Explorer
OOC: I really want to set that egg sac on fire. Urm... I mean, Ez is ready to hurry past the knot of webs, the sooner we are on terra firma the better!

Uller

Adventurer
OOC:
All right...I'm going to assume you continue as you are until something happens. I'm assuming Shuushar has help navigating but his lack of familiarity with the webs washes out the advantage.

I'll keep rolling his navigation checks until you are across or an encounter occurs. Then I will narrate the results. Right now you think you are about a third of the way.

If we have an encounter it will have to be narrated this evening or tomorrow....I don't have the encounter table with me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

DMAesh

Explorer
"Hey, Eldeth. The stout folk can divine the direction below ground, right? Could you lend any aid to Shuushar, to get us out of here?" Ezraen asks hopefully.

Remove ads