Assault on Dire Wood

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
"Ha!" celebrated Big Yann when they gained a silver-foothold after only heartbeats in the field of battle. "Nice one, Dorn! Guess that answers that, right? Someone's keeping the dark stuff penned-in for us lucky mortals!"

Then he guided Frigate forward, matter-of-factly keeping a comfortable distance behind the shadowed maid - "Just in case," he shrugged when she glared back - while simultaneously inquiring of Ydadoras, "Aren't we going for the north-easter lake then? Down the river to the center ruins?"

That's what the elven scout had proposed yesterday anyway.

The area absorbs magic ... hmm ... my magical hand cantrip and the magic imbued in the arrow faded. The forest is under the strongest spell I have ever heard of, The last spellcaster to cast such a spell that corrupted the forest lived centuries ago.
Kesem says with slight fear
I agree with Rikka. We should rest before we cross the circle white trees.
Kesem takes several steps back to cast a protective spell upon himself. [mage armor]

Skarsgard

Explorer
Frowning at the latest development, the halfling Cleric nods her head in agreement.

"I think starting afresh in the morning would be good, then Ydadoras can guide us to the river and along it to the ruind that the elves spoke of."

"So it looks like these trees are containing the corruption, which beg the question. Who cast it?"

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
The big man turned back in his saddle and smiled: "Mystra?"

OOC: Any change when crossing the 'borderline', 3Spd? If nothing attacks him or Rikka, Yann will try breaking a branch off one of the blackened trees inside the barrier, see if they regenerate too, then cast a Druidcraft cantrip to make it flower, see if that works here.

3SpdDragster

First Post
Rikka stepped past the white Warding Tree into the twisted forest beyond. The air felt hot and dry despite the overgrown surroundings there was very little in the way of humidity. Shadows clung to trees and bushes like dark cloaks and it felt as if something lurked in those shadows, it certainly didn't feel like the shadows that Rikka was used to hunting in; these made her feel like the hunted. But apart from the continuing feeling of unease and of being watched there was no ill effect.

Yann nudged Frigate forwards, the warhorses ears flattened against its skull as it crossed the “line” and its teeth ground down on the bit. Yann could sense the horses discomfort but it pressed on. As they crossed Yann felt his sense of the weave, normally a quiet hum in the background of his mind, roar like a giant waterfall. The sensation threatened to overwhelm the big man but after a moment he manages to separate the roaring from his “normal” connection.

Breaking off a branch from one of the corrupted tree he casts his spell and a leaf bud on the branch blooms. Looking at the tree he had taken it from he notes a sticky red sap coming from it but after several moments he is convinced that it is not growing back.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Dorn then takes out a silver piece from his belt pouch, and pushes it against the same tree.

OOC: I am assuming that this did nothing, right?

"Ha!" celebrated Big Yann when they gained a silver-foothold after only heartbeats in the field of battle. "Nice one, Dorn! Guess that answers that, right? Someone's keeping the dark stuff penned-in for us lucky mortals!"

Dorn nods in appreciation to the ox-of-a-man's compliment. His appearances transforms to that of a fully armored knight. Dorn salutes formally and adds "I aim to please!" He winks through the helmet, and his appearance transforms back to normal.

He then observes those that crossed the circle and keep his senses alert to any signs of danger.

3SpdDragster

First Post
OOC: I am assuming that this did nothing, right?

OOC: My appologies, I missed that.

The silver coin in Dorn's hand starts to warm up and becomes soft, almost like putty, in his hand. It flows over and in between his fingers and is absorbed by the tree. As the coin is fully absorbed, he sees a fleeting image in his mind of something large and red chained to a rocky surface, an unearthly scream is coming from the creature. In the background float islands of rock and he can just make out winged creatures flying between them.

The image was very brief and indistinct and left Dorn with a mild headache.

He does note that this tree didn't move though.

OOC: perception checks all round please.

OOC: Please add an Inspiration for Dorn and Yann

Remove ads