D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

gyor

Legend
Question: I'm playing a 4th level Devotion Paladin and my plan to to MC to Divine Soul Sorcerer after L6. Currently, the character has an 18 STR and 16 CON. In our game, our party performed an action that greatly pleased a deity and my DM tells us we have access to a Divine Blessing. I am guessing that since I already have an 18 STR and looking forward to the Sorcerer MC I should take a +2 to CHA, right? If I MC I won't get another ASI until L10, so it seems way to my benefit to get the +2 CHA now rather than +2 STR even though the only real bonus this will give me at L4/L5 is +1 to Sacred Weapon. Thanks!

Other relevant info (Variant Human, Sentinel feat, fights sword and board)

Yeah I'd go with the Charisma +2.

gyor

Legend
Thanks for the guide, it really helps simpletons like me.

I'm having trouble picking a starting array for a mountain dwarf I want to play as a devotion pally.

I really like the "I. Variant Human, Oath of Devotion build", can that be easily tweaked to fit the mountain dwarf?

Thanks

Basically yes.

Basic stat array  15, 15, 13, 10, 10, 8, after racial modifiers 17, 15, 15, 10, 10, 8.

You don't get a feat at level one.

Your first ASI goes to resilience (Con) Feat, which also gives you +1 Con, pushing it to 16.

Your next ASI goes to strength pushing it to 19.

Your ASI after that gets split, +1 Strength (20) and +1 Charisma (16).

Your last 2 ASI go to Charisma (18 and then 20 Charisma).

You trade a feat leadership and 1 skill in exchange for Darkvision, Poison Resistance, Stone Cunning, a tool profiency (the other dwarf stuff is basically redundant as a Paladin). Honestly its a good trade.

Plus you have better con then the human variant.

Everything else can be like the variant human build.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Basically yes.

Basic stat array  15, 15, 13, 10, 10, 8, after racial modifiers 17, 15, 15, 10, 10, 8.

You don't get a feat at level one.

Your first ASI goes to resilience (Con) Feat, which also gives you +1 Con, pushing it to 16.

Your next ASI goes to strength pushing it to 19.

Your ASI after that gets split, +1 Strength (20) and +1 Charisma (16).

Your last 2 ASI go to Charisma (18 and then 20 Charisma).

You trade a feat leadership and 1 skill in exchange for Darkvision, Poison Resistance, Stone Cunning, a tool profiency (the other dwarf stuff is basically redundant as a Paladin). Honestly its a good trade.

Plus you have better con then the human variant.

Everything else can be like the variant human build.
Why +2 Str before +1 Str +1 Cha?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I was unaware Shield Master had an official ruling, as opposed to just/not even a Senile Sage Advice.
That said, even with the "sagely" advice, Shield Master's still good for Oath of Conquest, ne?

smbakeresq

Explorer
I was unaware Shield Master had an official ruling, as opposed to just/not even a Senile Sage Advice.
That said, even with the "sagely" advice, Shield Master's still good for Oath of Conquest, ne?

I didn’t see the official ruling in the errata, where is it? I still don’t follow the logic of the ruling, but it is what it is. I never found it OP or anything like that, it was merely a neat option to use in some cases.

It would be solid for Conquest, but since Conquest Paladins really want that 20 CHA, and Resilient (CON), and any feat that gives a frightening effect, and 20 STR if they can afford that, they probably won't have room for Shield Master. At least a shove without it only costs one attack, rather than one whole action.

smbakeresq

Explorer
With regards to Shield Master, can you Smite with your shove? Or, does the shield count as a melee weapon?

I wouldn’t with shove but I sure would if you bashed with it.

I let the fighter, barbarian, and Paladins bash with their shield without having to take Tavern Brawler feat but obeying the other two weapon fighting rules.

Remove ads