D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

What do you guys think of a str based S&B (pal 6 / sorc 14) Using either Crown or Conquest and Divine Soul?
Tanky, and using careful web shenanigans is the plan.

I'm a big fan of augmenting paladin tankiness with sorcerer battlefield control/utility spells, so that sounds good to me. I would suggest, though, that if you choose the oath of conquest to do pal 7 / sorc 13; the level 7 conquest aura is too good to pass up for this build.

Kevin Duffy

First Post
I'm a big fan of augmenting paladin tankiness with sorcerer battlefield control/utility spells, so that sounds good to me. I would suggest, though, that if you choose the oath of conquest to do pal 7 / sorc 13; the level 7 conquest aura is too good to pass up for this build.

Hmm, do you think a different oath would be more beneficial to this concept?

Bishop_

First Post
First of all, thank you for your guides, [MENTION=68748]Gladius Legis[/MENTION]. I really appreciate them.

So, I'm planning a Sorcadin (Paladin (Conquest) 7/Sorcerer (Divine Soul) 13). Mostly, he'll be a tank and support for the party. Do you (and others, of course) think that Martial Adept for Menacing Attack is worth a feat/ASI for this build?

And if it's possible, could you provide example builds for the new material that came out in XGtE, please?

Kevin Duffy

First Post
First of all, thank you for your guides, [MENTION=68748]Gladius Legis[/MENTION]. I really appreciate them.

So, I'm planning a Sorcadin (Paladin (Conquest) 7/Sorcerer (Divine Soul) 13). Mostly, he'll be a tank and support for the party. Do you (and others, of course) think that Martial Adept for Menacing Attack is worth a feat/ASI for this build?

And if it's possible, could you provide example builds for the new material that came out in XGtE, please?

I 2nd all this. More in-depth on the effects of XGTE is needed. How do the new oaths and Sorc origins change things? New spells?

Do you (and others, of course) think that Martial Adept for Menacing Attack is worth a feat/ASI for this build?
Absolutely not. A feat for just one SD per short rest on a maneuver that lasts just one round is wasteful. As a Paladin/Sorcerer, you're already going to have access to Wrathful Smite, Cause Fear, and Fear, all of which are much stronger frightening tools, and all the spell slots you need to cast them.

Yeah, I'll add a couple sample builds for the 2 new Oaths in the coming days.

Anıl Akbulut

First Post
I'm finding myself conflicted in building a Red Dragonborn Conquest Paladin. My plan was to start with 17/10/13/8/10/16, take Shield Master, Dragon Fear, Resilient CON , +2 STR and cap off with a +2 CHA leaving my CHA at 18. But I'm having a difficult time justifying leaving my CHA at +4 considering how much it does for Oath of Conquest in general. Any suggestions to alter it or leave it as is?

I'm finding myself conflicted in building a Red Dragonborn Conquest Paladin. My plan was to start with 17/10/13/8/10/16, take Shield Master, Dragon Fear, Resilient CON , +2 STR and cap off with a +2 CHA leaving my CHA at 18. But I'm having a difficult time justifying leaving my CHA at +4 considering how much it does for Oath of Conquest in general. Any suggestions to alter it or leave it as is?

Your feats do even more for Conquest than 20 CHA does. Especially since you usually don't get 20 CHA until Lv. 19 anyway.

Actually, on second thought ... I'm starting to think CHA is even more important than STR for Conquest. Inflicting fear with the highest success possible is very, very important. Like, if you have to choose between the two for Conquest, STR 18/CHA 20 > STR 20/CHA 18.

mellored

Legend
Actually, on second thought ... I'm starting to think CHA is even more important than STR for Conquest. Inflicting fear with the highest success possible is very, very important. Like, if you have to choose between the two for Conquest, STR 18/CHA 20 > STR 20/CHA 18.

Dip for hexblade's +cha to hit. Which also comes with cause fear spell.

Kevin Duffy

First Post
Dip for hexblade's +cha to hit. Which also comes with cause fear spell.

Any thoughts/ideas on how to build a Half Elf HexBreaker? (Hexblade and Oathbreaker Pally)
Nasty Charisma synergy there. Hex 5/OB 15 for Supernatural Resist, or Hex 9/ OB 11 for the 5th level slots, or something i haven't considered? Assuming playing from 1 (Half Elf/Drow variant started Hex, campaign uses flanking rules so thinking Elven Accuracy at 4 will be bonkers)
Can go S/B, Greatsword, even TWF. Lots of options now available.

Remove ads