D&D 5E Dungeon Master's Guild: The Long Term

Giant2005

First Post
Intriguing. That was one of the more popular products. It was still on sale yesterday if I remember correctly. Ashame, it was one of the more interesting products on DMsG.

I can understand why at first glance someone could think it was a copy, but has WotC told you anything since you talked to them?

Also, how many copies did you end up selling? I'm curious what a popular product means in term of sales.

Thanks.

I haven't talked to WotC - I have only talked with those that run DMs Guild. They said that someone reported the work as their own.

It sold 265 units.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I haven't talked to WotC - I have only talked with those that run DMs Guild. They said that someone reported the work as their own.
Really? And you showed them your work behind it? I think you should have pushed on.

This could become a serious issue in DMsG's context. Since anyone could make a Book of Vile Darkness or Expended Psionic Handbook for 5e, some people could try to quash the competition by saying they stole their material and than publish their own book.

It needs to be shown that people at DMsG are that amateurish, but people can make mistakes.

It sold 265 units.
Less than I thought. Thanks for the honesty.

Giant2005

First Post
Really? And you showed them your work behind it? I think you should have pushed on.
There wasn't any point - they can remove anything from their site for any reason, there isn't anything I could say or do that would change that.
Their response after I sent them all of my work gave me the impression that they were just too lazy to actually look at my work in order to judge its authenticity. They had made up their mind and didn't want the facts to get in the way.

Less than I thought. Thanks for the honesty.
Those people were just the ones that actually paid some money for it. Whenever you update the book it sends out a notification e-mail to all those that have downloaded it and at my last update that number was over 1300. I was actually impressed with the ratio of people that were willing to donate money rather than just download it for free - that is a good 20% of the people that were offering cash.
It really made me respect the DnD community.

Giant2005

First Post
Are those the words they used? In something like this, the exact terminology used probably provides some insight.

It turns out that was a fairly solid point. My memory seems to have tainted the event and it may not have been someone reporting the work as their own. This is what they said:

"We have deactivated this title in regards to the continued issue of
who created the content. We will not be reactivating it in its current
format."

Kramodlog

There wasn't any point - they can remove anything from their site for any reason, there isn't anything I could say or do that would change that.
Their response after I sent them all of my work gave me the impression that they were just too lazy to actually look at my work in order to judge its authenticity. They had made up their mind and didn't want the facts to get in the way.
The way you describe it is very unprofessional and could become a source of problems.

I hope that was a fluke and it shouldn't discourage you from publishing stuff.

Those people were just the ones that actually paid some money for it. Whenever you update the book it sends out a notification e-mail to all those that have downloaded it and at my last update that number was over 1300. I was actually impressed with the ratio of people that were willing to donate money rather than just download it for free - that is a good 20% of the people that were offering cash.
It really made me respect the DnD community.
Impressive, your work got around! I'm not sure 20% is that impressive, but your optimism seems to think so.

Kramodlog

It turns out that was a fairly solid point. My memory seems to have tainted the event and it may not have been someone reporting the work as their own. This is what they said:

"We have deactivated this title in regards to the continued issue of
who created the content. We will not be reactivating it in its current
format."

Not clear if they mean WotC or a third party.

Giant2005

First Post
I'm not sure 20% is that impressive, but your optimism seems to think so.

I'm not sure my being impressed is a result of optimism - I actually think it is the result of extreme pessimism. When I uploaded it I expected 0 people to donate money. Not just some really low percentage that rounds down to 0, I mean a literal 0 people.
I was amazed that anyone was willing to donate money for something that I was willing to give for free and obviously 20% of all people being willing to donate is a figure that was much higher than my expectations.

Kramodlog

I'm not sure my being impressed is a result of optimism - I actually think it is the result of extreme pessimism. When I uploaded it I expected 0 people to donate money. Not just some really low percentage that rounds down to 0, I mean a literal 0 people.
I was amazed that anyone was willing to donate money for something that I was willing to give for free and obviously 20% of all people being willing to donate is a figure that was much higher than my expectations.

I guess I'm less surprised than you that some people were willing to pay for your work or tip you for it. I'm just not sure what 20% means.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Huh. My experiences working with the folks at OneBookShelf has always been very good. They've always been prompt and cordial to any concerns or questions I had.

Remove ads