Foyal's war - Who has seen it?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Hi all, Its me . . . . .again

Let's talk of the british show called Foy's War. It is set in WW2/ post WW2 England about a police constable named Christopher Foyal. Its on Netflix, all 9 seasons. I find the show unique on many levels, but one thing I wish to mention is that each season has only 3 to 4 episodes, but each episode is about 90 minutes long. They were able to pack in a very tricky plot in each episode due to the length of the show.

Overall, I enjoyed it all. What do you all think? Keep in mind, I binge watched on Netflix and not waited for each episode. Also, I wish to make note that IMDB lists only 8 seasons.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I remember watching a few of the early seasons and it was good. The world building in particular is engrossing as it explores how British society was affected by the war and the class corruption and stiff upperlip peculiar to Britain.

haven't watched it for a while though, I'll need to go and get a refresher...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I haven't watched all the episodes of Foyle's War, but I have enjoyed the episodes I've seen. Good stories, nicely acted.

Scott DeWar

Not sure if I've ever seen it. Hasn't it been on for, like, 20 years or something?

Well, 9 seasons over 13 years, I know there was a gap in time. Not sure why. But 20 years might be a bit of a stretch, though.

CapnZapp

Legend
Its Foyle's War, as the character is named Christopher Foyle.

And yes, it's good

One big point of it is to work in otherwise obscure WWII events into the narrative, and of course chronicle how the war impacted the British populace.

It brings up themes like British girl meets American soldier, the way citizens with German heritage became intensely distrusted, the way secrecy and treason could ruin people's lives, how to live on as a war cripple, getting your first real job as a woman, and so on...

It is very British and so a little slow, but it is rather thorough in its world-building.

Michael Kitchener and Honeysuckle Weeks are the two stand-out performances if you ask me.

And the British countryside of course, but I guess that goes without saying for all British detective shows...

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Yes, those two did superbly. Good drama chemistry. I loved the plots of each episode. Eanch was unique with seasonal connectivity. Well done

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hmmm. I might check it out. Would you say it's best to start at the beginning, or to watch a bunch of the best episodes?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Either way works. SOME stuff does happen that accretes to the characters' personalities, etc., but the stories themselves are written in such a way that they're pretty effective as standalones.

I most certainly haven't seen it from the beginning. What happens with me is I might catch a few consecutive episodes. It is difficult for me to fill in the gaps because it is one of the few British mystery series my Dad enjoys that he hasn't gotten the DVDs for.

Remove ads