The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Matthew McConaughey And Idris Elba are set to star in Dark Tower.

I've wanted to read the books for a while, but I haven't had the chance to. Looks as if it'll be interesting. They still haven't said which of the books the movie will be based on, but it's supposed to take place in the present, so if you've read the books, maybe you'll have an idea of which book it's based off of?

So Idris Elba is cast as Roland? thats awesome :)

New York features prominently in the story so I suspect that is what the 'modern day' refers to and apparently they are starting in media res rather than at the beginning (well the books beginning which was also in media res :)). It would be interesting to see if they bring King himself into the movie world too

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Have there been good adaptations of King's work? Adaptations are hard to do, but he seems to have a streak of bad ones.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Have there been good adaptations of King's work? Adaptations are hard to do, but he seems to have a streak of bad ones.

The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Stand By Me.

all notable for being Not Horror genre. Although in the horror-esque mode you do have Misery and The Shining

So Idris Elba is cast as Roland? thats awesome :)
Yup, he is cast as Roland, and that's pretty awesome.

New York features prominently in the story so I suspect that is what the 'modern day' refers to and apparently they are starting in media res rather than at the beginning (well the books beginning which was also in media res :)). It would be interesting to see if they bring King himself into the movie world too
That would be interesting. Are the books written in a sort of alternate history style?

He's had a few decent adaptations, as was pointed out . This one may turn out well. It seems that after Harry Potter studios decided to put more money into adaptations.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Stand By Me.

all notable for being Not Horror genre. Although in the horror-esque mode you do have Misery and The Shining

I liked It. I thought it was decently done.
I'll add the movies Carrie, The Dead Zone (and the TV show was decent...for a while), Salem's Lot, Creepshow, Christine, Cat's Eye, Firestarter, and, just barely, Needful Things- notably, all basically horror.*

The Stand, however, was terrible, and for many reasons.

* notably, all also quite old.

The Stand, however, was terrible, and for many reasons.

I thought The Stand was okay, not great but okay.

EDIT: And least we forget Maximum Overdrive, King's only directorial effort. Even he called it a "Moron movie". The only redeeming bit about it was the soundtrack unless you dislike AC/DC lol

Last edited:

Remove ads