New ALPG (and ALDMG) have dropped!

Steve_MND

First Post
I'm pretty sure what they're referencing is the actual APL that the party plays the module at, I would guess rounded to the nearest number. So, if you have 4 players, three at level 4 and one at level 3, then your APL for the table would be 3.75, or *4* for the target adventure level in the table.

I would actually argue the opposite -- it says "Target Adventure Level", so I would think that it refers to the APL that the module was based around ("optimized for Xth level characters"). If it referred to the actual table APL itself based on the currently playing characters, then there would be a strong leaning by some judges to not encourage new players or characters, since that would put their effective table APL lower than they might otherwise be able to get, which would in turn mean lower both the XP and gold rewards for the judge.

'Course, either way, this decision to vary the rewards based on more than just tier unfortunately means that DMs are going to be positively incentivized to give out the max XP for a module regardless of actual player activity, as that also maxes out their own rewards. Ah well.

Last edited:

kalani

First Post
Normally it means the intended level of the dungeon/adventure (eg. One of the elemental keeps is a L6 dungeon so the DM reward would be based on that).

CoS however doesn't have level markers like that so we have been instructed to use party APL instead for that adventure.

Anthraxus

Explorer
Normally it means the intended level of the dungeon/adventure (eg. One of the elemental keeps is a L6 dungeon so the DM reward would be based on that).

CoS however doesn't have level markers like that so we have been instructed to use party APL instead for that adventure.

Definitely for the Curse of Strahd book adventure. I still haven't seen the new "Expeditions" style S4 modules, so I don't know what the DM rewards section looks like at the end of those...

Ah, I see where the confusion lies. Based on the wording above - I would think that the intent is for the ability to last 24hrs from one night to the next, as the ruling implies that you need to spend the HD each night (although it isn't explicit). An alternative interpretation would be that the ability only functions at night. I will ask for further clarification on this.

The intent was only at night, you can spend hit dice to activate this ability. When you activate it, it lasts until you pass through the object but if you take longer than a round and are inside it, you take damage.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
The intent was only at night, you can spend hit dice to activate this ability. When you activate it, it lasts until you pass through the object but if you take longer than a round and are inside it, you take damage.

So the effect of spending a hit die only lasts for one round, then?

--
Pauper

So the effect of spending a hit die only lasts for one round, then?

--
Pauper

Or the time it takes you to exit the solid object. You could imagine moving through a hill that takes you two rounds to cross. That means after the first round, you take damage, but do not become solid (and stuck).

Remove ads