New ALPG (and ALDMG) have dropped!

RCanine

First Post
Please Note: The SRD is deliberately absent. While it contains the same player rules as the Basic Rules and/or PHB, it does potentially contain monsters and rules from the DMG which are not included in the Basic Rules (I have yet to check).

Guys, stop saying this. It's false. The Basic Rules and the SRD have different subsets of the rules.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Guys, stop saying this. It's false. The Basic Rules and the SRD have different subsets of the rules.

As long as the Basic Rules continue to be updated, then it's fine to ignore the SRD. I really don't see that happening, as the SRD is a super-set of the Basic Rules.

For example, here is a list of all monsters in the SRD that are not contained in the DMs Basic Rules (web version):

- Aboleth
- Angels (Deva, Planetar, Solar)
- Rug of Smothering
- Ankheg
- Azer
- Behir
- Bulette
- Chuul
- Cloaker
- Couatl
- Darkmantle
- Demons (Balor, Dretch, Glabrezu, Hezrou, Marilith, Nalfeshnee, Quasit, Vrock)
- Devils (Bearded, Barbed, Bone, Chain, Erinyes, Horned, Ice, Imp, Lemure, Pit Fiend)
- Dragons (all except Adult Red and Young Green, which are in the DMs Basic Rules)
- Dragon Turtle
- Drider
- Dryad
- Duergar
- Drow Elf
- Ettercap
- Ettin
- Shrieker
- Violet Fungus
- Djinni
- Efreeti
- Ghast
- Cloud Giant
- Storm Giant
- Gibbering Mouther
- Deep Gnome
- Clay Golem
- Iron Golem
- Gorgon
- Grimlock
- Hags (Green, Night, Sea)
- Homunculus
- Invisible Stalker
- Kraken
- Lamia
- Lich
- Lycanthropes (all but Werewolf)
- Magmin
- Mephits (Dust, Ice, Magma, Steam)
- Merrow
- Mimic
- Mummy Lord
- Naga (Guardian, Spirit)
- Nightmare
- Oni (Ogre Mage)
- Oozes (Black Pudding, Gelatinous Cube, Gray Ooze)**
- Otyugh
- Pseudodragon
- Purple Worm
- Rakshasa
- Remorhaz
- Roc
- Roper
- Rust Monster
- Sahuagin
- Salamander
- Shadow
- Shambling Mound
- Shield Guardian
- Warhorse Skeleton
- Minotaur Skeleton
- Specter
- Sphinx (Androsphinx, Gynosphinx)
- Sprite
- Succubus/Incubus
- Terrasque
- Treant
- Unicorn
- Vampire
- Vampire Spawn
- Will-o-Wisp
- Wraith
- Xorn
- Ogre Zombie

** - All of these are mentioned in the DMs Basic Rules, but no stats are provided for them.

It does appear that explicitly allowing the SRD as a rules source would enable some new options for summoning with certain spells, so should be reviewed by the admins before being confirmed as legal.

--
Pauper

Pauper

As long as we're using this thread to ask questions about the new guides, let me add my $0.02 US:

- For the effects on Jeny's Tasks that cause the PC to begin the next adventure with a condition, it is assumed that the character cannot spend downtime or otherwise remove the condition prior to the next adventure? Is it also assumed that Jeny will not remove the condition herself if the character then attempts to go to her for an additional spellcasting service?

- For the Dark Gift that results from a '4' on that chart, how long does the effect last? Until the end of the turn? Until the end of the encounter? Until the character's next short rest? Long rest? Until dawn? Indefinitely until the character receives a Remove Curse? My guess would be until the end of the next short or long rest, but I could see an argument for making it solely after a long rest or until dawn. (Yes, I know the very next sentence says "Dark gifts last until the character receives a remove curse," but I'm not asking how long the gift persists, I'm asking how long the effect persists when the character spends a hit die -- in other words, how many hit dice is a character expected to spend on this ability rather than to heal up wounds?)

- The text of Faction Charity suggests that a character can take Faction Charity during the adventure, as it notes that the character "can continue to play the adventure". If the party is in a location that would not make sense for them to be able to contact a faction patron, can the DM rule that the character can not take Faction Charity and must take Dark Powers Charity to return from the dead and continue the adventure?

- The DM Rewards section notes that the 'target adventure level' is used to determine the DM XP award. Is this the part where the adventure says "this adventure is designed for five character of level X" where 'X' is the target adventure level? (I've seen more than one reference on Facebook where people seem to have the idea that it's the average party level playing the adventure that is used to determine the 'target adventure level'.) If the target adventure level is the level that the adventure is designed for, what do we do about modules like Quelling the Horde, which says at one point it is designed for 1st level characters, then in a different place says it is designed for 3rd level characters? What is the canonical 'target adventure level' for a given module?

--
Pauper

kalani

First Post
That confirms my above post: the SRD contains monsters that are not included in the Basic Rules.

Even if it was added as a rules source - the FAQ for summoning creatures would also need to add it or the players options would still be restricted to PHB/MM (appendix A) - Basic Rules - MM (in that order)

Keep in mind that the DMs basic rules aren't a player resource either and that depending on the adventure - the DM may need the full MM anyway (as the adventure might include monsters not found in the basic rules).

kalani

First Post
There is no faction charity within Barovia. Faction charity is only available in non-ravenloft games or prior to being trapped by the mists.

For example: characters playing parts 1-4 of 4-1 could gain faction charity but once the mists claim them (in part 5 iirc) FC is off the table as there is almost zero faction presence outside the PCs.

I am AFK and AFB so I can't answer the other questions atm. I do know that dark gifts last until cured so the duration is "permanent". How that affects healing in gift 4 specifically, I don't know without looking at the exact wording

Pauper

I am AFK and AFB so I can't answer the other questions atm. I do know that dark gifts last until cured so the duration is "permanent". How that affects healing in gift 4 specifically, I don't know without looking at the exact wording

Let me help you with this one then:

"At night, the character can spend 1 hit die to move
through solid objects as though they were difficult
terrain. A character who ends his or her turn inside
an object takes 5 (1d10) force damage. The character
counts as an undead creature for the purpose of
spells and effects such as turn undead."

Now I can see where the ability to spend a hit die to gain this ability (and accompanying weakness) is permanent until removed -- that's the curse. What's less clear is how long the ability to move through solid objects is intended to last. Does the character spend one hit die and then can move through solid objects until he gets a Remove Curse? Does it last until the sun comes up (and it's no longer night)? Does it last until his next long rest (which normally will encompass the 'when the sun comes up' condition as well)? It's also pretty clear that the character counting as an undead creature lasts as long as the ability lasts, which means when the character isn't 'ghosting', he's not treated as undead, but if that ability never turns off, then it's not really an issue.

--
Pauper

kalani

First Post
Ah, I see where the confusion lies. Based on the wording above - I would think that the intent is for the ability to last 24hrs from one night to the next, as the ruling implies that you need to spend the HD each night (although it isn't explicit). An alternative interpretation would be that the ability only functions at night. I will ask for further clarification on this.

Last edited:

Anthraxus

Explorer
As long as we're using this thread to ask questions about the new guides, let me add my $0.02 US:
- The DM Rewards section notes that the 'target adventure level' is used to determine the DM XP award. Is this the part where the adventure says "this adventure is designed for five character of level X" where 'X' is the target adventure level? (I've seen more than one reference on Facebook where people seem to have the idea that it's the average party level playing the adventure that is used to determine the 'target adventure level'.) If the target adventure level is the level that the adventure is designed for, what do we do about modules like Quelling the Horde, which says at one point it is designed for 1st level characters, then in a different place says it is designed for 3rd level characters? What is the canonical 'target adventure level' for a given module?

--
Pauper

I'm pretty sure what they're referencing is the actual APL that the party plays the module at, I would guess rounded to the nearest number. So, if you have 4 players, three at level 4 and one at level 3, then your APL for the table would be 3.75, or *4* for the target adventure level in the table.

It should be noted- the DM rewards in the Season 1-3 mods continue to be given as written in the mods, and the new DM rewards are for Season 4+ mods.

Pauper

I'm pretty sure what they're referencing is the actual APL that the party plays the module at, I would guess rounded to the nearest number.

That's exactly why I'm asking the question, because based on the description of the DM Rewards, they're meant to be fairly fixed based on the design of the module:

ALDMG said:
All D&D Adventurers League adventures award the DM by the target level of the adventure. These rewards are around 25 percent of the maximum XP for players, with a minimum for the lower-level adventures.

The max XP award in a module doesn't change if it's run for a group of 5th level characters or a group of 10th level characters -- so the module designed for 5th level characters should (if this explanation is accurate) give a lower DM award than the one designed for 10th level characters.

If the 'target level of the adventure' is the level for which the adventure is designed, then this should be made more explicit, if only to counter the growing belief that it is the level of the players, not the adventure, that determines the DM award.

--
Pauper

Remove ads