New ALPG (and ALDMG) have dropped!

devlin1

Explorer
You could die in 4-1 before entering Barovia and still get a faction raise. (This very thing happened to one of my players when we playtested it, in fact.)

CapnZapp

Legend
Currently both the Season 4 Adventurers League Player's Guide and the new Dungeon Master's Guide are available via a Facebook post that links to a Google Drive.

The zip file contains both a 'normal' and 'printer friendly' version of each PDF, and is available here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ccm7NasSlWbU53T3E5NzV0RkU/view?pref=2&pli=1

--
Pauper
Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time.

Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently.

[MENTION=17607]Pauper[/MENTION]: please modify your original post to tell readers to visit the AL site for downloads, since the AL links works while yours does not. Thank you

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Pretty much. Keep in mind that consumable items such as balloon packs, wingwear or keoghotms ointments count against your item total until used (at which point they are removed). Ordinary potions and scrolls have never seemed to be included in this rule to my knowledge (or if they are, nobody has ever brought this up as an issue).

The new ALPG is clearer on this -- it notes that "[a]ny magic item that has a small number of uses does not count as a permanent magic item" unless it is a wand or "other magic item that [has] charges that reset", which do count as permanent items. Based on this description, Keoghtom's Ointment (listed in the SRD as "Restorative Ointment", p.238) is consumable, since its charges do not reset.

Isn't this a lot of words for something very easy to understand, me thinks...

If there's charges that run out (including the single-use item) then the item is not permanent, i.e. a consumable?

If the charges (normally) does not run out, the item is permanent, much like any item without charges?

(And "charges" is equivalent to something like "you can use this candle for a total of 60 minutes")

CapnZapp

Legend
2. Expect table variation. I think the easiest approach (and one very in keeping with Ravenloft), is to have her alive and well despite her apparent death. Perhaps the Mists raised her as well, or perhaps there are other sinister forces at work. I would play it up completely and have her very unhappy to see her murderers. Rather than rolling randomly on the table, as a DM I would instead choose the most sinister and twisted options (such as flayed skin) in order to "punish" the PCs.

Failing that, it could be another hag either masquarading as Jenny Greenteeth, or perhaps going by another name but serving the same roll (perhaps her sister?)
You don't mention the alternative "sorry no spellcasting services for you".

Is that intentional or accidental?

That is: do you consider "sorry" to be a valid option for "table variance"?

Or are you telling us "do not prevent PCs from accessing spellcasting services even if the PCs off Jenny"?

Thank you.

CapnZapp

Legend
Glad to see it came out in time for the start of the season. There are two things of note that caught my eye.

1. The end of season date is much later than what was listed in the Death House Instructions PDF that came out a few weeks ago. I wonder what warranted the change.
Let me just comment that to me it was the previous date that was very strange. This new date (August 2016) is not strange at all.

So to me it seems more likely the previous date was just a mistake or typo, than that the organisers actually committed to such a short season (and only later realized this and had to change it).

kalani

First Post
You don't mention the alternative "sorry no spellcasting services for you".

Is that intentional or accidental?

That is: do you consider "sorry" to be a valid option for "table variance"?

Or are you telling us "do not prevent PCs from accessing spellcasting services even if the PCs off Jenny"?

Thank you.
I do not advocate preventing players from accessing spellcasting services. While table variance should be expected in respect to the events of season 1, the spellcasting services should still be made available by a hag at every table. Whether she is pleased with the PCs or not is another story entirely.

Also, until such times as the admins release further clarification specific to the events of season 1 (for tables who killed Jenny), only those characters with the "Traded with a Hag" or the other story award should be denied an option for a discount. IIRC the ALDMG states that the DM can roll randomly or choose a discount task as they see fit. I am advocating that DMs choose the task for anyone who killed Jenny in season 1 (and to choose one of the more difficult tasks, even for the simplest of spells).

That should be a good way of showing her displeasure.....

For example
Player 1: For you, I just desire a warm embrace. Here is your [high level spell]
Player 2: Since you brutally killed me in our last meeting, and I find your presence distasteful - I request that you provide me an ounce of your skin for my latest batch of stew (call back to her previous appearance) if you want any kind of discount from me. I don't care that you only need a cure wounds/lesser restoration. You would be upset as well if someone murdered you in your own home. I am only willing to cast spells for you at all out of the benevolent kindness of my heart (overacting encouraged)

kalani

First Post
Please Note: The SRD is deliberately absent. While it contains the same player rules as the Basic Rules and/or PHB, it does potentially contain monsters and rules from the DMG which are not included in the Basic Rules (I have yet to check). If past SRDs are anything to go by, the SRD may be added to in future at any time and those options may include things from other sources (such as SCAG or an as-yet unreleased rulebook such as an MM2, psionics handbook, or the like).

As such, players are still limited to the options from the PHB, the Players Basic Rules, and the DMs Basic Rules (for the purposes of spells in the event there is no legal options in the PHB/MM Appendix A).

Remove ads