D&D 5E Player Races in Upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters

LithOrbane

First Post
In case nobody saw, the 5th Edition D&D Facebook page shared this article today. Most of the pages leaked in this article pertain to monster lore or statblocks, but something of note is that the page on Lizardfolk (including general history/culture about them, and a personality trait section) says it's from Chapter 2, the chapter on character races.

I would be very excited if we got Lizardfolk as a playable race in 5th edition, what about everybody else?

https://kotaku.com/an-early-look-at-d-d-s-newest-monster-bible-1788410991

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In case nobody saw, the 5th Edition D&D Facebook page shared this article today. Most of the pages leaked in this article pertain to monster lore or statblocks, but something of note is that the page on Lizardfolk (including general history/culture about them, and a personality trait section) says it's from Chapter 2, the chapter on character races.

I would be very excited if we got Lizardfolk as a playable race in 5th edition, what about everybody else?

https://kotaku.com/an-early-look-at-d-d-s-newest-monster-bible-1788410991

OK, confirmed Lizardfolk are in; awesome!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, literally lacking emotions, not just not outwardly emoting.

could be fun in another race, but here it just seems like someone started with "how can we make lizardfolk stand out more", and then someone with little understanding of animal conciousness was like, "well reptiles don't have emotions, right?" I assume later in that meeting someone brought up the "we only use 10% of our brains" meme. :)

like goliaths, I'll just look to real cultures and find something vaguely sensible to replace this fluff.

Last edited:

flametitan

Explorer

could be fun in another race, but here it just seems like someone started with "how can we make lizardfolk stand out more", and then someone with little understanding of animal conciousness was like, "well reptiles don't have emotions, right?" I assume later in that meeting someone brought up the "we only use 10% of our brains" meme. :)

like goliaths, I'll just look to real cultures and find something vaguely sensible to replace this fluff.

To me, despite the "emotionless" sentences near the beginning, it didn't read as "No such thing as emotions" so much as "excessively pragmatic." It seems like they could appreciate art and aesthetics, but they choose not to worry about it in favour of "How will this benefit the tribe"?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
To me, despite the "emotionless" sentences near the beginning, it didn't read as "No such thing as emotions" so much as "excessively pragmatic." It seems like they could appreciate art and aesthetics, but they choose not to worry about it in favour of "How will this benefit the tribe"?

Perhaps. To me, it explicitly read as a race without the capacity to form attachments or feel things like love and hate.

Once again this is way more interesting then making them scaly humans. And Lizardfolk are not reptiles they are their own intelligent species. They are not humans, nor are they reptiles. Like I don't get why you would want to change this.

Perhaps. To me, it explicitly read as a race without the capacity to form attachments or feel things like love and hate.
Uh it states in the page that they form attachments.

Last edited:

Remove ads