• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player Races in Upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
For myself I am fine with their demonic angle, but they didn't need to rain @doctorbadwolf and others parades so hard; uncool.
Right?

I'd have been fine with just no mention of them, or whatever. It's the hard push to create the perception that they just aren't an acceptable player character option at all that grind my gears. Especially when Eberron treats them completely different (how hard is it to blurb "in other worlds...blah blah blah") and after that excellent writeup in 4e for gnolls that reject the demon.
Just seems so unnecessary.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
[MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION]

ezgif.com-add-text.jpg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Dwarf Wizards are great.

For some reason I want to kick all the tinker gnome stuff over into the dwarf's corner, focus gnomes on the forest and deep gnome stuff, and make dwarves less about beer and beards, now.

Looks like maybe I found what the heck to do with dwarves in my Albaron setting. Sweet!

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Jerks.

Best i can do within the rules to express my thoughts on that.

Like...that is just bad. I like [MENTION=6855057]QuietBrowser[/MENTION] s take on playable gnolls just fine, and I can just use that, but it sucks to not get any flavor support for non hyper-demonic gnolls, and frankly the "I don't blame your party for turning on you" bit just makes me want to take a hose to someone, while yelling "bad cat!". :)

That's a great way to get a cat (or WotC) to poop on you while you sleep. ;)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm so bored with fantasy races with cultures that seem like they couldn't really function.

Frost giants don't grow food or keep animals? Really? Not like...a frost giant enclave somewhere, but the whole culture. Kay.

Goliaths...what. Don't get me wrong. I like Goliaths, but to me they are only usable if you tone down the "they expel or abandon any adult that needs help" stuff. Like...actual irl people from harsh, low resource, environments are (so far as I know without exception) never like that. The opposite is requiredfor the group to survive. Groups become so close knit and interdependent that they will also go far out to their way to find ways for the elderly and otherwise infirm to contribute, and often care for them even when they lag behind.

Also, do Goliaths deteriorate at a much steeper rate than humans do with age? Because, IRL the elderly in harsh, low resource, places tend to be able to keep up well into the grey hairs and deeply wrinkled face stage of life. A whole race that embodies that environment has no elders? Seriously? Even irl cultures that idolize those who die in combat have elders.
Its just very poorly thought out.

Mountain people are anthropoligically unusual compared to city, rural, and non mountain nomads, but they still form fundementally sustainable cultures. Goliaths aren't humans, but they should still have fundamentally sustainable cultures.
/rant

I can't fault you any of this... Upon my first reading of the Goliath, I dubbed them — Vin Diesel Character: The Race.

Remove ads