• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player Races in Upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Jerks.

Best i can do within the rules to express my thoughts on that.

Like...that is just bad. I like [MENTION=6855057]QuietBrowser[/MENTION] s take on playable gnolls just fine, and I can just use that, but it sucks to not get any flavor support for non hyper-demonic gnolls, and frankly the "I don't blame your party for turning on you" bit just makes me want to take a hose to someone, while yelling "bad cat!". :)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The narrative for gnolls in 5e is one of those shifts in emphasis that I'm not exactly enthusiastic about. "Created from hyenas" seems especially weaksauce, and emphasizes their artificiality.

I like my gnolls barbaric, nomadic, and demon-worshiping, but I also like them as normal, natural creatures, not much different from orcs or goblins in that respect. Though, they are kind of "fallen" since they worship a demon lord and not a deity - that emphasizes their other-ness, but also, I think, gives them an interesting wrinkle when you envision them as natural - why would they abandon the gods, and what happened to the gnolls who worshiped the old gnoll god?

The story of my gnolls is the story of a warrior-race corrupted by a demon lord and brought to ruin, not the story of Teenage Mutant Ninja Hyenas.

QuietBrowser

First Post
The narrative for gnolls in 5e is one of those shifts in emphasis that I'm not exactly enthusiastic about. "Created from hyenas" seems especially weaksauce, and emphasizes their artificiality.

I like my gnolls barbaric, nomadic, and demon-worshiping, but I also like them as normal, natural creatures, not much different from orcs or goblins in that respect. Though, they are kind of "fallen" since they worship a demon lord and not a deity - that emphasizes their other-ness, but also, I think, gives them an interesting wrinkle when you envision them as natural - why would they abandon the gods, and what happened to the gnolls who worshiped the old gnoll god?

The story of my gnolls is the story of a warrior-race corrupted by a demon lord and brought to ruin, not the story of Teenage Mutant Ninja Hyenas.

In fact, the shift from "stolen from Gorellik by Yeenoghu" to "created by Yeenoghu" actually happened back in 4th edition. The 5e version is, arguably, worse, because at least 4e noted that this still made gnolls natural creatures at heart and there were clans even in the Points of Light/Nentir Vale setting who rejected their demonic taint and embraced their nature as hyenas given the ability to reason and build.

I talk about this in more detail in my thread on whether or not gnolls should be playable, which might be a good place for folks who're in favor of or against this revelation to talk about it.

gyor

Legend
I'm betting the Flind is a PC race in volo's guide to monsters. I've been saying it for a long time now, since Mearls said no playable gnolls, but there us something simular. That Flinds are in, in some form is another hint I could be right.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm betting the Flind is a PC race in volo's guide to monsters. I've been saying it for a long time now, since Mearls said no playable gnolls, but there us something simular. That Flinds are in, in some form is another hint I could be right.

In the podcast, Perkins seemed to be saying Flinds are like other Gnolls, but worse; they and Gnolls might be in the quick rules table, but I doubt other gets a full write-up.

I think what [MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] may have meant is either Orcs, Tabaxi or another unknown race: savage humanoids, predators.

Remove ads