• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player Races in Upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters

Volo Races have been leaked.

I4JhIwx.png

QuietBrowser

First Post
I see kobolds, I am happy. Yuan-ti Pureblood? Huh, they haven't done that since Serpent Kingdoms back in 3.5, but they always were the most human of the Yuan-ti... I wonder if I can get away with visually reskinning them as Lovecraft-style Serpentfolk in other games...

All the goblinoids and the Orc, as we expected. Goliaths... eh, I didn't need 'em, I had the EE Player's Guide. Kenku...? Blah. Not a huge fan of Tritons, but I guess they're more interesting than Kenku at least.

Aasimars will at least show us what a "proper" counterpart to the Tiefling can look like now.

All in all... I have to complain about some of the slots. I would have rather gotten Saurials then Kenku, personally. Ah well, I wonder what's in the "quick and dirty" race guide...

Volo Races have been leaked.
Yuan-Ti Pureblood is an unexpected bonus. I always had an idea for a Pureblood who belonged to a cult that backed a non-evil serpent types, like the Couatl Yuan-Ti from Eberron, or other ideas like Lillendi cultists, or servants of certain Arch-Nagas like Vasuki from Hindu mythology or Mucalinda from Buddhist mythology.

I see kobolds, I am happy. Yuan-ti Pureblood? Huh, they haven't done that since Serpent Kingdoms back in 3.5, but they always were the most human of the Yuan-ti... I wonder if I can get away with visually reskinning them as Lovecraft-style Serpentfolk in other games...

All the goblinoids and the Orc, as we expected. Goliaths... eh, I didn't need 'em, I had the EE Player's Guide. Kenku...? Blah. Not a huge fan of Tritons, but I guess they're more interesting than Kenku at least.

Aasimars will at least show us what a "proper" counterpart to the Tiefling can look like now.

All in all... I have to complain about some of the slots. I would have rather gotten Saurials then Kenku, personally. Ah well, I wonder what's in the "quick and dirty" race guide...

What is your issue with Kenku.

QuietBrowser

First Post
What is your issue with Kenku.
To put it plain and simple? They bore me. I'm not a fan of bird-folk in general, but the Kenku, with their "we're a race of cursed crows who take out our rage of being stripped of flight by stealing from everyone" fluff, are just... really, really bland.

They feel too one-dimensional to me, and don't even give me inspiration for reworking them entirely the way kobolds, orcs and goblins have done in the past (see: my Malebolge setting, where kobolds are cursed dragon-spawn, orcs are failed super-soldiers made from mutated elves, and goblins are mutant orcs who regained their magic at the cost of their physical might).

So, yeah, glad for the folk who actively like them, but I honestly couldn't care less about them either way, because I can easily think of other races both Forgotten Realms specific and multiversial I would have much rather seen in that spot.

flametitan

Explorer

I like the Kenku addition, if only because one of my players really wants to play one. So, different strokes, I guess.

Looking more at it, I do like the mix of races given. As I said in my earlier post, it hit the big requests of aasimar and the main monstrous humanoid races. Then it started to check certain boxes for people to play. Bigger than normal races? Check, twice. Bird race - without the whole flight issue? Check. Lizard race? Check. Cat race? Check. Fish race? Check. Snake race? Check. Honestly, the only thing missing is a dog race (i.e. gnolls), and given the outcry over them not appearing in the book, I fully expect them in the next book with player options.

Also, anyone up for an all dragonborn, kobold, lizardfolk, and yuan-ti pureblood campaign? It will be reptile-rific!

Remove ads