• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Realmsian Dragonstar: The Battle of Toril PbP Game [OOC] (Game Cancelled)

epogue

First Post
DR can only be harmed by an enchantment of equal or greater power before the reduction in damage if any occurs.

Hardness can be effected by anything.

How is it More powerful

An energy bolt can' be enchanted

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
against some of the nastles I've seen you though you squashed characters and neither the bones or the devil were shooting and I know the devil has DR. A suit that is designed to take getting bounced off a hull and dealing with space junk and dealing with micro meteors would be pretty good against getting shot

If it didn't protect against energy forms in an age of energy weapons it would not be realistically useful.
That is true. Comparing Davik's hardsuit with the Jangala hardsuit in Imperial Supply, it seems that the Hastur wiki hardsuit is designed to be significantly better, but the cost doesn't seem to match what I would expect for the increased hardness and bonuses attacks. The Jangala hardsuit has hardness 5 instead of hardness 10 in addition to most of the Jangala's other stats. Maybe that's why the designer gave the M14 hardsuit a Strength requirement -- to offset the hardness 10.

I can't say for certain, and I'm not certain how to hand this one. If I roll back it's hardness to match the Jangala suit, there isn't much point in having the M14 hardsuit in the game. Hmm, checking the v.3.0 to v.3.5 conversion document. There might be something in there about hardness... nope, only damage reduction. Maybe a reduction of the suit's hardness to 5 and add DR 5/–. Most of the hardsuits listed in the Dragonstar sourcebooks have DR 5/–, so Davik would have the best of both types of hardsuits (although I'm likely going to change all the hardsuit DR values to be penetrated by Ballistic damage).

Damage would have to bypass both but there would be a better chance for energy damage to get through, although Davik would still gain better protection from most. Electricity and fire damage would half to be be divided by half before it is applied to to the hardness while Cold damage would be divided by 4 before damage in applied to a character.

So if a fired shot from a projectile weapon that does 4d10 fire damage (lets average it out to 22 damage) to Davik beats his AC, the fire damage would have to be divided by 2 to become 11 (as per the rules on hardness) and then the hardness would negate 5 points of damage for a total of 6 points of fire damaged inflicted on Davik himself. If the weapon did Cold damage instead, the damage would only be 5, which the hardsuit would negate completely.

(And I think you were right that the hardsuit shouldn't have a Strength requirement. If it was designed that way to offset the hardness, it's not very good design, IMO. I'd rather change the value to be hardness 5 and add DR 5/Ballistic.)

QUOTE]Most solders aren't shop keepers with an average strength 18 they would get past with a 2 with a +4 the +5 would only null the strength bonus and a bayonet is 2 handed so it is 1.5 so not even all of that designed for solders not corpsifyd farmers not getting messed over by a low roll lucky shot from a civilian is why it is there it is designed for war not civilians so the impire is coming is coming In a real fight it is hardly unreasonable

In a world of 4d10 burst that actually sounds pretty reasonable at +5 isn't realy that much an average of 20 how is that unreasonable the damage is kill you on steroids
it a would be pretty tough it is tough to be unbalancing against that with 5 a low roll against getting hit and not that unbalancing[/QUOTE]
Note that a weapon or spell that does Acid, Sonic, or Radiation damage won't be reduced by the hardsuit's hardness value at all. And as the [MENTION=10894]KainG[/MENTION]'s PC Yin Hun learned, there are some spells that will simply destroy powered armor on a failed save. :)

Yeah, Hardness is no joke. It's like DR only better. There's a reason it's generally only applied to objects. :)
I agree completely, but with the Jangela suit's existence in the Dragonstar game, there is precedence for a hardsuit with hardness, but it has to be reduced. Hardness 10 is just to powerful since Davik also gains the protection of the suit's hardness.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
DR can only be harmed by an enchantment of equal or greater power before the reduction in damage if any occurs.

Hardness can be effected by anything.

How is it More powerful
I too had thought that DR blocked energy damage, but it doesn't. Energy damage is blocked by Resistance to Energy not Damage Reduction. So, when a projectile weapon that does 4d10 (avg. 22) electricity damage strikes a chain devil, for example, its DR 5/silver or good doesn't block the 22 points of energy damage. Now, if that damage was created by a spell, it would have to bypass the kyton's SR of 18. And if the damage was Cold damage, it wouldn't hurt the chain devil at all.

If a kyton was a construct with hardness 5 instead of DR, that same 22 points of electricity damage would only do 6 points of damage. The electricity damage would have to be divided by two and then applied to the hardness (11-5=6).

An energy bolt <can't> be enchanted
Actually, any projectile weapon, including weapons that do energy damage can be enchanted in a Dragonstar game. It says this on pp. 77-79 the Dragonstar Guide to the Galaxy. While energy cells for projectile weapons cannot be enchanted, ammunition cartridges for slug throwers can be enchanted. So, Davik could buy/commission enchanted magazines for his railgun rifle. ;)

Since his hardsuit isn't masterwork armor, he couldn't get it enchanted with more protections, but he could buy/commission a hardsuit that offers magical protections.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Updating this file for the game to include all the important changes to weapons and armor, as well as anything else that needs to be changed. This is for everyone's reference. I still have to finalize the changes for armor and I haven't added the explosive weapons from Imperial Supply yet.

Note the altered damage types for many of the key Dragonstar weapons. Some (but not all) of them now do energy damage that isn't blocked by energy resistance. As well, laser weapons no longer do fire damage but follow the rules in the DMG v.3.5. The damage type for lasers is untyped, so fire resistance won't block laser fire. As well, all railguns have been changed to be martial weapons. (This doesn't affect Davik's ability to use his own railgun.)

Some of the weapons have different damage values than in the Starfarer's Handbook. When I first created the file, I felt that the damage values for many of the ranged weapons were to high, so I curtailed them (the blaster weapons, for example). The values listed there are 100% set in stone. I won't force you guys to change your weapon's damage values, but I'd like to get opinions on the altered stats.

The file also includes converted stats for the classic Alternity weapons and armor, as well as some of the other gear. It also lists the advanced weapons from the DMG v.3.5.

I believe I had posted this file for everyone when the game first started, but I didn't repost it when we started over again.

(The file is always a work in progress.)

Attachments

• Arcanum of the Stars_ver2.zip
    132.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

epogue

First Post
My last sheet made since pleas just the change the hardness otherwise it just gets to weird
ok Would you pleas keep as and forgotten realms and dagonstar as canon as well as house
thank you that was source canon and house rules
I had not seen as added paths and alterations and banned feats which I am thankful to made aware of

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hm. Making lasers untyped is pretty powerful...fire seemed like a good approximation to me.

Then again, fire resistance and immunity is the single most common type of energy resistance in the system, so...I can understand the motivation behind it. :)

Maybe give lasers a unique type of their own ('laser' damage) in the interests of allowing things like highly reflective surfaces or specialized defenses to have 'laser' resistance?

epogue

First Post
like chromium on ship hulls reflect lasers but then there is the possible friendly fire to teammates the reason it is used on imperial ships it makes them laser immune

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
My last sheet made since pleas just the change the hardness otherwise it just gets to weird
And it turns out I had misread the M14 hardsuit details myself. It says hardsuit 5 not 10. This is why I shouldn't stay up until 3 A.M. in the morning working on game material. I make "tired" mistakes. (Still, it did bring me back to the document to correct some things in the document.)

ok Would you pleas keep as and forgotten realms and dagonstar as canon as well as house
thank you that was source canon and house rules
I had not seen as added paths and alterations and banned feats which I am thankful to made aware of
You're welcome. I hope to go through it in more detail and clarify a few things, but I don't want to get bogged down in it too much.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hm. Making lasers untyped is pretty powerful...fire seemed like a good approximation to me.

Then again, fire resistance and immunity is the single most common type of energy resistance in the system, so...I can understand the motivation behind it. :)
Fire does seem to make sense, but going with something that more closely matches what is in the DMG v.3.5 (p. 146). The Damage Type for them is considered special. That is also true of the antimatter rifle listed there, as well. (Also, read more below.)

Another sticking point are the ranges given for those weapons compared to the ones listed in the Dragonstar books. I had planned to roll back the DS ranges to match the one in the DMG, but I decided against it, for now.

Maybe give lasers a unique type of their own ('laser' damage) in the interests of allowing things like highly reflective surfaces or specialized defenses to have 'laser' resistance?
And, I had made the mistake of saying that the lasers are untyped. (Again, this is why I shouldn't work on this stuff and post at 3 A.M.) The type for them for AotS is noted in the document as 'Energy'. These weapons deal damage of a nonspecific energy type that is not subject to energy resistance. I've also made the sunsword do this special type of Energy damage instead of Fire, because I want to make them scary. :)

Plasma weapons do fire damage.

like chromium on ship hulls reflect lasers but then there is the possible friendly fire to teammates the reason it is used on imperial ships it makes them laser immune
While an interesting idea, it was my mistake at way too late at night.

BTW, your PC is one feat short. As an Imperial citizen, you don't have to select the Technical Proficiency feat with one of your slots. You get it for free. So, pick another 1st-level feat to add to your character.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
[MENTION=1095]Salthorae[/MENTION], what did I give you for the non-damage stats for the ancient sunsword? (I cannot remember.)

I found that the damage is 4d6 for the Medium-sized sunsword Shaz found but did i give it a specific critical value or a weight. If not, the Crit. range is 18-20/x2 and the weight is 1-1/2 lb. The ancient sunsword would not have a real market price in the Dragon Empire, but if it was being auctioned off by a Core World trading house, it would likely start at an opening bid of 5,000 credits. :)

Remove ads