D&D 5E Tall's PotA Campaign - IC

TallIan

Explorer
Feathergale Spire

In The Spire

Illvelious deftly picks the lock to the room, opening the door to find Duran the stable hand talking to a bound man lying on a bed frame.

GM: If you are quick, this will be your last chance to join the hunt if you want.

Hunt

“Perhaps one of yours could join us. Lady Savra, perhaps?” Erol said to Thurl, feigning an amorous interest. A hint of a smile flickered across Thurl's face, "Yes, of cor..." Interrupted by Julian whispering in his ear Thurl paused for a moment. "Ah, Savrah has the guard tonight I'm afraid, you'll have to make do with young Julian here. He's a very capable squire, almost ready to become a knight."

A flicker of disappointment ran across Julian face, presumable from not being included with the knights but he puffs up in pride at the compliments from Thurl.

"Take the right flank," he says as he mounts his own bird and sets off. Julian ushers you enthusiastically onto your mounts then sets off, taking the lead of your flight. A single knight remains on the roof watching you depart.

Erol Handle Animal: 1D20 = [11] = 11

JV Handle Animal: 1D20+2 = [8]+2 = 10

Four flights of three (including your's) take flight and spread out in a line east to west facing south. Your flight stands out as a little uncoordinated, but you manage to keep the line. Once all the flight leaders are happy, Thurl signals the whole group and as one they all dip below the fog bank in the valley below. Visibility drops to around 100 yards and you can barely make out the next flight along.

GM: PC locations:

Duran and Thessel: Locked in a room on the third floor
Illvelious: In the stairwell on the third floor
Errol and JV: On the hunt

Azurewraith

Explorer
"Ah Silva, ilvur... Illvelious, this is Thessel Drovememad, A traveling performer from my village and Thessel this is Illvelious, he's, well he's good with locks... apparently. Duran begins to untie Thessel. Could you handle the lock on the other door, there where things I struggled inspecting as a spider. Thistle.... Tressel? Thessel! Can you tell me where the others are being held?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
2ed598l.jpg

Feathergale Spire
Evening

“Well, that is too bad about Lady Savra, Errol said with disappointment. Well, there went his chance to get the woman out, and now he had a babysitter. He flashed Julian a smile. “I am sorry you got stuck with the amateurs,” he told the young squire.

As his mount took off, Errol clutched onto the mane. It was rather thrilling, sending his heart leaping into his throat. He made the mistake of looking down for a moment, but he recovered and eventually managed to fall into some kind of formation. Thankfully his mount seemed to know more what to do than Errol did.

They dove into the fog and Errol could barely see his companions, much less any of the others.

[sblock=OOC]I can’t remember. Are these gryphons or hippogryphs?[/sblock]

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Errol’s Mini Stats]
Errol Dax
AC: 15
HP: 28/28 +5 thp
Superiority Dice: 4/4 @ d8 (Commander’s Strike, Rally, Trip)
Arrows: 40/40
[/sblock]

Yavathol

Explorer

"Pleased to meet you, Mr Drovememad", Ilvellios said earnestly.

"The knights are departing on a hunt, so this may be an excellent time to try and sneak you out of here. There is a gnome companion of ours in the region, should you encounter him, he may be of assistance to you. Excuse me.."

Ilvellios nodded his head and, after taking another quick check of the staircase, went over to the other door and did as Duran requested.

OOC:
[roll0]

[sblock]Ilvellios hp 21/21
Str +0(+2 Saves), Dex +3(+5 Saves), Con +1, Int +0, Wis +2, Cha -1
Acrobatics +5, Survival +5, Stealth +5, Insight +5, Perception +5
AC 16
Inspiration no
Ki: 3/3
HD: 3/3
Quarterstaff +5, 1d8+3
Unarmed/Radiant Bolt +5, 1d4+3

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...otA-Campiagn&p=6897912&viewfull=1#post6897912
[/sblock]

TallIan

Explorer
Feathergale Spire, evening

GM: Note, visibility is 100 feet NOT 100 yards - I mix them up all the time.

You are riding a hipogryph or a giant vulture, choose either.

Hunt
Errol and JV

It takes a little over 20 minutes for you to spot a dim shape in the fog ahead, before you are even certain it is the manticore Julian sounds his horn and turns his giant vulture towards the beast, readying his crossbow.

The manticore is heading west to east across your front (you are the western most group)

In the Spire
Duran, Thessel and Illvelious

"I don't know exactly where they have gone." Says Thessel. "I was just leaving the village when the sky raiders attacked, some of the village folk fled with me. We fled south, not knowing we were heading towards the dragons maw - as it were. They swooped down and took us all prisoner. I don't think any other prisoners are here, I was only kept because they were after my wagon, I'd hidden it nearby just before the attack."

Illvelious headed over to Thurl's chamber and unlocked it easily.

Yavathol

Explorer
"OK, I can take a look but if we're looking for information then the writing desk might be more rewarding, are there any papers on there?"

Ilvellios moved over to the chest and cautiously looked it over for traps.

OOC:
[roll0]

"Mr Drovememad, would you mind keeping a look out?",

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
2ed598l.jpg

Feathergale Spire
Evening

Errol peered through the fog. There was little to see for a long time, but then Julian blew a long note on his horn. Errol saw a dark shape pass through the fog below the, across their path. He unslung his bow and nocked an arrow, drawing back on the string. He tracked along the path of the manticore, making sure of his target before releasing, but his shot fell short

Longbow attack: 1D20+7 = [3]+7 = 10
Longbow damage: 1D8+3 = [5]+3 = 8

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Errol’s Mini Stats]
Errol Dax
AC: 15
HP: 28/28 +5 thp
Superiority Dice: 4/4 @ d8 (Commander’s Strike, Rally, Trip)
Arrows: 39/40
[/sblock]

TallIan

Explorer
In the Spire

Duran opens the scroll case to find a single letter written in beautiful flowing script

Merosska,
We are pleased to hear about the outcome of your altercation with the Black Earth Cult, and we praise you for the capture of one of their prisoners. This noble woman from Waterdeep has an interesting tale to tell, we shall enjoy interrogating her further. Keep a close watch on the Sacred Stone Monastery. I want to know what our enemy is planning next. Equally keep a watch on Riverguard Keep where the Crushing Wave reside, they may have tipped you off about the prisoners they were transporting for the Black Earth, but I don’t fully trust them.
Your beloved Queen
Aerisi Kalinoth.

Illvelious checks the chest over carefully, finding nothing. Pulling out his picks, he deftly opens the first padlock. Moving to the second one though he finds it difficult and it takes a few attempts to open.
Inside the chest Illvelious finds, among clothing, a sack of coins (320GP), a potion and three scrolls.

On the Hunt

At the sight of the manticore, Errol loses an arrow at it, narrowly missing. JV follows suit, but also fails to hit the beast.

Catching sight of its antagonists the manticore flicks its tail in a spread of spikes, one spike for each pursuer. Julian and Errol are spared, but JV is caught solidly by one of the spikes. The manticore then turns in flight to flee.

Julian’s initial enthusiasm to pursue is tempered by the sudden retaliation and he pulls his mount up, keeping his distance, and loses a bolt from his crossbow, drawing blood, before sounding his horn to call the other Feathergale riders.

GM: rolls and stuff
JV initiative: 1D20+2 = [16]+2 = 18

Round 1
Errol (Initiative: 21)
Longbow attack: 1D20+7 = [3]+7 = 10 miss
Longbow damage: 1D8+3 = [5]+3 = 8

JV (Initiative: 18)
Thateous to hit: 1D20+4 = [7]+4 = 11
Miss

Manticore (Initiative: 17)
Manticore to hit: 1D20+5 = [1]+5 = 6
1D20+5 = [17]+5 = 22
1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14

Manticore damage: 1D8+3 = [7]+3 = 10
on JV

Julian (Initiative: 8)

Jullian to hit: 1D20+4 = [14]+4 = 18

Jullian damage: 1D8+2 = [6]+2 = 8

Summary

Julian: 9/9
Errol: 28(+5)/28
JV: 16/21
Manticore: 60/68 AC: 14

GM: With Thateous being a little quite, I’ve RC’ed his character – the fact that he’s taken a big thump is entirely coincidental – sorry dude. I’m assuming a strategy at the moment of shoot from as far away as possible. Also I know JV was reluctant to reveal his potential so I have stuck with him using a bow for now.

Last edited:

Remove ads