• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Shadow Step in dark dungeon - general purpose teleport or abuse of feature?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
So one of my players (a monk) has the gained the "Shadow Step" feature and was using it last night as a general purpose teleport to move around a dark dungeon they were exploring. While technically this seemed doable it felt to me as going against the spirit of the feature which is to step from shadowed area to shadowed area (within a certain range) - basically allowing you to move stealthily in otherwise well lit areas.

Is the player abusing their feature or am I being pedantic?

Edit: I guess the feature went from being cool to just being a button to mash.

(Starting to see why DMs get nervous about how to manage things as players acquire more and more capabilities :) )

Last edited:

Just say he can't use it all day.

If he says it is at-will, ask if doing push ups is limited by short rests. Then have him do a push up everytime his character uses the ability.

Well if the character lacks darkvision they can't see into the dark areas and therefor can't teleport to them. If they do have darkvision, then the areas are effectively shadows (dim light) for them so it makes sense.

Overall, players like using their special abilities - it is one of the things that makes the game fun. Unless a particular ability is trivializing encounters, or letting the character overshadow (no pun intended) the other PCs then I wouldn't worry to much about limiting their use.

Teleporting in the dark via Shadow Step is 100% legitimate in my opinion. Do note that it still requires him to see where he's going, so he can't teleport through walls or anything--but there is no kind of requirement that there be light around to teleport. Otherwise the ability would specify only dim light instead of dim light/darkness.

CapnZapp

Legend
As I take it his beef is that in dark dungeons there are no shadows. You need light to have shadows.

But you can't put back the genie in the bottle. Most Shadow Monks will have darkvision, and that means shadows are everywhere (as stated above).

I don't have a problem with that. Actually, I'm kind of miffed no other class gets anything like it. (And the high level fighter ability to teleport does not compare)

Movement is fun, and seldom lets you win fights on its own.

I still miss the way the 4E Eladrin got Misty Step already at 1st(?) level!

ad_hoc

(they/them)
What is the character gaining from doing this rather than walking with the party?

Why don't you want them to do it?

Correct me if I am wrong but all I see is a description of what the character is doing in the OP.

Remove ads