D&D 5E I am looking to build a Fighter/Sorcerer

Arial Black

Adventurer
While Warcaster is nice, you only need it if you go sword & board or TWF; otherwise (single 1H or 2H weapon) you can have a free hand for the components.

You don't need Action Surge to cast two spells until you have two worthwhile spells to cast! Start Ftr 1, then switch to Sor and come back to Ftr later.

If you wear heavy armour, you'll waste the best part of Draconic (the base 13 AC); it's one or the other. GWM will get you a bonus action attack, quite frequently at lower levels.

The SCAG cantrips (BB, G-FB) are incompatible with Extra Attack. I wouldn't pursue Extra Attack, and just let it arrive with levels in Favoured Soul.

I'd start with 16s in Str/Cha, dump Dex to 8, have as good a Con as I could have with the points left over from having Int/Wis as low as I could bear. Take HAM as the bonus feat.

Start with Ftr 1, use the heaviest armour I can afford, use a greatsword, no need for ranged weapons because I'll have a ranged cantrip, and for fighting style I'd choose GWF, although having the +1 AC is tempting.

For the next 5 levels I'd take Favoured Soul, getting GWM as my feat. Then I'd start to think about when to take levels 2 and 3 of fighter/Battlemaster, depending on the campaign and the make-up of the party.

Slit518

Adventurer
I don't care if I miss 9th levels spells, and I am not interested in a Paladin/Sorcerer build. I am here for a Fighter/Sorcerer build because I want Action Surge, thanks for the suggestions though.

While Warcaster is nice, you only need it if you go sword & board or TWF; otherwise (single 1H or 2H weapon) you can have a free hand for the components.

You don't need Action Surge to cast two spells until you have two worthwhile spells to cast! Start Ftr 1, then switch to Sor and come back to Ftr later.

If you wear heavy armour, you'll waste the best part of Draconic (the base 13 AC); it's one or the other. GWM will get you a bonus action attack, quite frequently at lower levels.

The SCAG cantrips (BB, G-FB) are incompatible with Extra Attack. I wouldn't pursue Extra Attack, and just let it arrive with levels in Favoured Soul.

I'd start with 16s in Str/Cha, dump Dex to 8, have as good a Con as I could have with the points left over from having Int/Wis as low as I could bear. Take HAM as the bonus feat.

Start with Ftr 1, use the heaviest armour I can afford, use a greatsword, no need for ranged weapons because I'll have a ranged cantrip, and for fighting style I'd choose GWF, although having the +1 AC is tempting.

For the next 5 levels I'd take Favoured Soul, getting GWM as my feat. Then I'd start to think about when to take levels 2 and 3 of fighter/Battlemaster, depending on the campaign and the make-up of the party.

That could work, the Great Weapon Master feat. I could use a greatsword that does 2d6 and pretend it's a Katana. The guy I am roleplaying is Asian and this could fit his background. So Heavy Armor Master at level 1, Greatweapon Master at level 5, etc... and then I can either go Dragon Sorcerer bloodline, which may fit my Asian human character better, or Favored Soul for the extra attack and the Cleric Domain.

Satyrn

First Post
I would probably go fighter - sorcerer - fighter - sorcerer - and then at this point decide on my progression based on how it plays out in game and what makes sense at the time. You may find that there's no need for those battlemaster maneuvers, and thus no need for more fighter levels. Or you might find you need those hit points. Or you don't. And it might turn out that what you really want is more cantrips, and so go eldritch knight instead.

Or whatever. But because you want Action Surge, you already have your plan to that point. And I would swap back and forth between classes because I would want to be both as early as possible.

Slit518

Adventurer
I would probably go fighter - sorcerer - fighter - sorcerer - and then at this point decide on my progression based on how it plays out in game and what makes sense at the time. You may find that there's no need for those battlemaster maneuvers, and thus no need for more fighter levels. Or you might find you need those hit points. Or you don't. And it might turn out that what you really want is more cantrips, and so go eldritch knight instead.

Or whatever. But because you want Action Surge, you already have your plan to that point. And I would swap back and forth between classes because I would want to be both as early as possible.

The only problem I have with this, and it's just the way the game mechanics are designed. I don't get my stat increase/feat until class levels 4/8/12/16/19, I wish it were character level instead. Perhaps it "balances" multiclassing this way.

Satyrn

First Post
The only problem I have with this, and it's just the way the game mechanics are designed. I don't get my stat increase/feat until class levels 4/8/12/16/19, I wish it were character level instead. Perhaps it "balances" multiclassing this way.

I think it was intended to balance multiclassing, yeah. I would not worry about getting that number boost from the stat increases, since you're making up for it with the added versatility of spells.

I've begun playing a battlemaster designed to be a swashbuckler and I'm planning on what must be a horribly unoptimised build. My maneuvers include parry and riposte, both of which require using my reaction. And I've latched onto that as the theme for future choices - that is, I intend to take Sentinal and Defensive Duelist so that I have lots of options for my reaction. It's an interesting, fun decision to have to make.

Remove ads