Bug with notifications

discosoc

First Post
Every once in a while, I'll get a notification alerting me to receiving XP or being quoted or something. Normally, I can click the link and it takes me to the post in question, however sometimes it takes me to a different post entirely.

For example, I have a notification with a link to this post.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-amp-D-what-is-gold-for&p=6980308#post6980308

The post that it's actually talking about is three posts back, however (on the previous page).

Anywhere, there seems to be a bug in either how forum posts ids are handled (maybe they change when something is deleted?), or how the notification system assembles links (maybe it's not updated of changes to an id?). I honestly don't know why a database would ever want to change unique ids in the first place, but it's the only thing that makes sense from an outsiders perspective.

Nagol

Unimportant
Just a guess, but I suspect someone has you on ignore (so you can't see their posts) and that's throwing off your view.

When I click the provided link, it hits your post correctly.

darjr

I crit!
The post links are actually relative to how many posts down it is in a page. So a specific kind of post link that takes you to a post can be different depending upon how many posts a user has setup to show in their own personal configuration. At least I think so. I think it's an issue with VB that's been there a while. Have you ever changed how many posts you see in a thread at a time? If so then that might explain it.

discosoc

First Post
Just a guess, but I suspect someone has you on ignore (so you can't see their posts) and that's throwing off your view.

When I click the provided link, it hits your post correctly.

Oh good call. I didn't even think about the ignore function. Turns out I had someone ignored, and removing them 'fixes' the problem.

I'd still suggest it get looked into though, but I don't think that should be expected behavior.

discosoc

First Post
The post links are actually relative to how many posts down it is in a page. So a specific kind of post link that takes you to a post can be different depending upon how many posts a user has setup to show in their own personal configuration. At least I think so. I think it's an issue with VB that's been there a while. Have you ever changed how many posts you see in a thread at a time? If so then that might explain it.

I think you're close, but the post id (or link) is unique to the entire site. As it turns out, the behavior was related to me having someone on ignore. I haven't personally used vBulletin in over a decade, but from what I remember this could very well just be some poor legacy coding that never got fixed. I certainly can't imagine why else unique post ids don't link properly if someone is ignored.

Remove ads