Discussion - Tales From The Yawning Portal is Season 6

Inxanity

Explorer
Robert Adduci has confirmed that..TFTYP?...TYP? Whatever, is indeed Season 6. https://www.facebook.com/groups/adv...1130102493781970&comment_tracking={"tn":"R6"}

How do you think the DDAL adventures are going to work seeing as this isn't the typical story line we've gotten for the last 5 seasons with nothing "concrete" to be tied to? Some of the adventures are based in places other than FR (mostly Greyhawk). Do you think they will be ruled illegal for AL play, or the AL finally going to open up some other settings for us to play in? Discuss!

RulesJD

First Post
Anyone wanna explain more of what those are? Are they going to be 6-7 mini-campaigns, or 6-7 dungeon crawls? Never played those old adventures.

flametitan

Explorer
Anyone wanna explain more of what those are? Are they going to be 6-7 mini-campaigns, or 6-7 dungeon crawls? Never played those old adventures.

They're stand-alone modules, no real overarching story between them.

Against the giants sounds like it'll be the full G series, so we might see a bit of story in it. I've not read Citadel or Forge, so I wouldn't know how those work, let alone how they'll be adapted. White Plume Mountain has a thin veneer of plot, while Tomb of Horrors has almost no plot (depending on which version of the module they source, it's been adapted and modified many times over the years). I heard Dead in Thay will just be the dungeon, and not the plot, but I don't know if that's true. Tamoachan is likely going to be like White Plume and Tomb, having somewhere between a veneer or no real plot.

My own bit of speculation (I'm expecting this to be false, but it'd be so clever if it was true): The Yawning Portal's not just an inn in Waterdeep. It's also the entryway to the Undermountain. However, there's not Undermountain in the hardcover. What if the AL team is going to cover the Undermountain instead, allowing for some tie-in (even if in name only)?

Last edited:

sigfile

Explorer
White Plume Mountain. Uhm.

I'm thrilled to see an official 5E port. I'm mortified by the thought of what that'll do in an organized play framework.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They're stand-alone modules, no real overarching story between them.

Against the giants sounds like it'll be the full G series, so we might see a bit of story in it. I've not read Citadel or Forge, so I wouldn't know how those work, let alone how they'll be adapted. White Plume Mountain has a thin veneer of plot, while Tomb of Horrors has almost no plot (depending on which version of the module they source, it's been adapted and modified many times over the years). I heard Dead in Thay will just be the dungeon, and not the plot, but I don't know if that's true. Tamoachan is likely going to be like White Plume and Tomb, having somewhere between a veneer or no real plot.

My own bit of speculation (I'm expecting this to be false, but it'd be so clever if it was true): The Yawning Portal's not just an inn in Waterdeep. It's also the entryway to the Undermountain. However, there's not Undermountain in the hardcover. What if the AL team is going to cover the Undermountain instead, allowing for some tie-in (even if in name only)?

Another possibility: the AL adventures could be ports of other historical modules that didn't make the cut for the book (like the rest of the 3E adventures)?

flametitan

Explorer
Another possibility: the AL adventures could be ports of other historical modules that didn't make the cut for the book (like the rest of the 3E adventures)?

Possibly, or they'll be set in the areas around these famous modules, providing a bit more lore.

There's a wide gamut of things they could do, I'm eager to see what it becomes.

darjr

I crit!
There is a story in the book connecting them if you want to use it as an AP. What that story is really intrigues me. Also I think it's been hinted that the Greyhawk adventures are in Greyhawk, but that could be wishful thinking.

flametitan

Explorer
There is a story in the book connecting them if you want to use it as an AP. What that story is really intrigues me. Also I think it's been hinted that the Greyhawk adventures are in Greyhawk, but that could be wishful thinking.

The last Dragon Talk episode, if not outright confirmed, it, at least strongly suggested that'd be the case, suggesting that the stories reached the inn from adventurers who found portals in the Undermountain that led to these places.

I'm sure there will be some sort of connection between them for Season 6. We're supposed to be getting 3 epics, too, and those seem to be very story-oriented. So if anything I feel we'll get more narrative, not less.

"Oh look, there are four PCs with Blackrazor in the adventuring party"

I'm quite curious how this will translate into the next season - will the adventures be mostly unconnected for a change, or will they go with a more traditional season - someone suggested that Undermountain would be realized as part of AL play, since it's not in the module.

White Plume Mountain. Uhm.

I'm thrilled to see an official 5E port. I'm mortified by the thought of what that'll do in an organized play framework.

Remove ads