D&D 5E In a (hypothetical) Tales from the Yawning Portal 2, what are the adventures you would want updated for 5E?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Some non-spoiler points about Night Below from the DMsGuild:

"Origins (II): The Return of D. Night Below: An Underdark Campaign (1995) is clearly intended as a reinvention of Gary Gygax's original series of "D" adventures. Like that primordial campaign, Night Below is set in a peopled underdark with monstrous cities and entire civilizations beneath the earth."

"Night Below even includes an Underdark ocean called "The Sunless Sea", which is an obvious homage to the otherwise unexplored locale mentioned in D2: "Shrine of the Kuo-Toa" (1978) and D3: "Vault of the Drow" (1978). Given Carl Sargent's past work as the main architect of Greyhawk, this has led some to speculate that Night Below was originally intended as a Greyhawk campaign — or perhaps as a trilogy of adventures, for its clearly broken up into three equal parts. Unfortunately, author Carl Sargent would not be able to speak to this speculation."

"Adventures Styles: An Adventure Path. Night Below follows in the footsteps of the "D" adventures in another way: it's early adventure path, meant to bring players from first level to somewhere in excess of tenth. However unlike modern adventure paths, Night Below doesn't really contain enough challenges to level the characters up. Night Below alludes to this by suggesting that players use "side-plots" and "mini-adventures" to flesh out the campaign and give it more verisimilitude. Online, Dragon editor Dave Gross was more adamant, saying, "Don't forget that it's highly recommended, even necessary that you expand the Night Below campaign with short adventures". Of course, he suggested Dungeon Adventures as a great place to find those mini-adventures."

"Adventure Styles: Locale-Based. Night Below is largely a locale-based adventure. There's a sandbox of a town for the first section, then a ruins crawl, a mine crawl, and lots of underdark crawls."

"Exploring Greyhawk. Though Night Below is a generic adventure, the presence of a Sunless Sea has led many to place it in Greyhawk, beginning on the opposite shore from the "D" adventures."

The Glen

Legend
I've never owned or read B10.... now I think I have to.
It is considered one of the Holy Grails of D&D for a reason. Not only is it just a wall-to-wall adventure, but it's hard to find an intact copy. You've got numerous chips representing a goblin Siege at the very beginning, then two covers, and a map to boot in addition to another multipiece map. On top of that it's got a pull-out section that's often missing. Intact copies go for about $200, I don't want to even imagine what a mint condition copy goes for

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I also found this map, combining maps from D2, Night Below and Kingdom of the Ghouls from Dungeon:

Underdark.jpg

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I think a Night Below fits in something of a Ghosts of Saltmarsh-like anthology where there can be a mini campaign wrapped with mini adventures and even a couple extended adventures after the big finale of the campaign.

Dead in Thay started with characters already at quite a nice level.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think a Night Below fits in something of a Ghosts of Saltmarsh-like anthology where there can be a mini campaign wrapped with mini adventures and even a couple extended adventures after the big finale of the campaign.

Dead in Thay started with characters already at quite a nice level.

Yawning Portal is a cool book with solid content, but it doesn't have much to offer for coherent framing.

Stormonu

Legend
Regardless whether these suggestions actually fit into another Yawning Portal, I think the more important facet is which adventures we want to see reprinted - either as an anthology as per TftYP or their own stand-alone campaign/adventure book, like Saltmarsh.

Remove ads