D&D 5E In a (hypothetical) Tales from the Yawning Portal 2, what are the adventures you would want updated for 5E?

S'mon

Legend
We did too.

Wish I'd done that!

If you do do that, probably best to swap the commanders so Azar Kul is commanding the assault on the city and his deputy is back at the temple. That makes more operational sense for the bad guys anyway, and I think just feels better when you fight Azar Kul in Brindol at the climax of the campaign.

If you do do that, probably best to swap the commanders so Azar Kul is commanding the assault on the city and his deputy is back at the temple. That makes more operational sense for the bad guys anyway, and I think just feels better when you fight Azar Kul in Brindol at the climax of the campaign.
Agreed, and make sure the Apect escapes the Fane, so the finale of the entire thing can be the party fighting (sorta) Tiamat in front of the awestruck citizens of Brindol and hobgoblin army!

darjr

I crit!
What are all the Castle Greyhawk side quests? Isle of the Ape is one. Dungeonland and The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror are two more.

I mean Lost Caverns could be included in that list, not as a portal from the Castle but still related. What else? Themed around Castle Greyhawk?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If you do, I think you should keep it to adventures that could actually be in TftYP 2. So no Night Below or Red Hand of Doom (😢).

There's no particular reason those couldn't be included, they could be the center of the book: Dead in Thay is a huge part of Yawning Portal, for instance.

Both of those are actually small enough to be less than an entire 5E hardcover, by a wide margin.

There's no particular reason those couldn't be included, they could be the center of the book: Dead in Thay is a huge part of Yawning Portal, for instance.

Both of those are actually small enough to be less than an entire 5E hardcover, by a wide margin.
Not sure I agree, if the point was making a new TftYP. RHoD is 120 pages or so, Night Below 150+. But sure, if there should only be a couple of other adventures, they are close to the top of my list 😃

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not sure I agree, if the point was making a new TftYP. RHoD is 120 pages or so, Night Below 150+. But sure, if there should only be a couple of other adventures, they are close to the top of my list 😃
There are pages, and then there are pages. At least for TSR material, we already know they take up far fewer pages in 5E books than the original page count (see TftYP and GoS). I don;t know how Red Hand of Doom is on words per page, but either would be far less than a whole book. Admittedly, if they did something with them, they would be the center of any such book (similar to the U trilogy in GoS), but in principle it is possible, and desirable as they are frequently cited as among the best modules ever made.

The Glen

Legend
Issue you have with the larger modules is it would be easier to blow them up into their own books like Strahd rather than include them into an anthology. Nights Dark Terror is one of the greatest modules ever but you aren't fitting it in an anthology because of the siege map.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Issue you have with the larger modules is it would be easier to blow them up into their own books like Strahd rather than include them into an anthology. Nights Dark Terror is one of the greatest modules ever but you aren't fitting it in an anthology because of the siege map.
I actually would view Strahd as the direct precursor to Tales from the Yawning Portal and Ghosts of Saltmarsh, in that it includes the entire original module in the text. Making Night Below the center of such an extension is easy to imagine, and could include other modules such as D1-3 smoothly.

Remove ads