Martial Practice : Blood Demand

Tony Vargas

Legend
One idea I had was skill packages to explicitly encourage creation of characters along the 4e roles ...
Oh, so Role in the formal sense. (I had vision of 'not an RPG' for a moment).

Hero was classless, so no, nothing resembling Roles per se. Yet, there were a number of generally-recognized character types: Brick, Energy Projector, Martial Artist, Speedster, etc... there farther down the list, the less generally-recognized.

I have seen Package Deals used to model D&D Class/Level system artifacts though. "Your fighter gained enough experience top buy his next level! ...you get +1 combat level, and, uh... maybe you should've played something else...?"

I love the way Hero System is tightly focused on being generic. ;P

Seriously, 'cept for what happened with skills, best system evar. ;)

There are MANY generic systems out there, starting with the granddaddy of them all, GURPS. Notice, most people prefer to use more tightly-focused genre-specific games. There IS a reason for that. I recall well the late 70's and early 80's when it was mistakenly thought that the holy grail was a perfectly universal system that would apply high 'verisimilitude' in every genre! lol.

Those days are LONG LONG past, though GURPS and BRP and a few others have sort of soldiered on, and/or maintained themselves in their primary niches where they were/are best suited. I mean, its not a BAD concept, but it really suites best games that tend to mix several fairly similar genre or settings together.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
There are MANY generic systems out there, starting with the granddaddy of them all, GURPS.
GURPS is I think slightly newer than HERO atleast I ran into it later LOL ..but it is very aware and explicit about its intent to genre adapt. Genre Adaptability I think requires clear identification of various genres many games do not even pay attention to the one they support... or get mired in design that actually failed their genre that they cannot change

Arguably HERO can allow one to adjust for yourself the target even better than GURPS but again it is so much work for the GM Tony admits to his masochism.

Tony Vargas

Legend
There are MANY generic systems out there, starting with the granddaddy of them all, GURPS.
Which was derivative of Hero (Ok, and TFT, obviously), and not as good. ;P

Notice, most people prefer to use more tightly-focused genre-specific games.
IDK, in the 90s 'most people' seemed to care mainly about setting. Now 'most people' hate 4e.

Actually, most people are unaware of RPGs.

('Most people...' that's become a trigger, for me, it seems...
... I hadn't realized that. Disappointing.)

Those days are LONG LONG past, though GURPS and BRP and a few others have sort of soldiered on
I actually think there's a distinction between a 'core system' like BRP, that is adapted to create different games one at a time, and a Universal system that can be used for any genre. BRP is the first core system that was actually extracted and published separately, a major milestone, IMHO.

TSR had a core system in D&D, using it for D&D, Metamorphosis Alpha, & Gamma World, but never formalizing it... until 2000 when WotC finally did it for them as d20, and it dominated the industry. Then, 8 years later, dropped the ball, on a bed of nails, stomped on it (caution, severe foot injury), set it on fire, and threw it into a black hole called the GSL. (Not that I'm bitter or anything). Then realized everyone already had their own copy of the ball and they could do nothing, and sheepisly picked it back up and pretended nothing had happened. (Not that I'm bitter or anything.)

With a core system, your designers don't re-invent the wheel, and the players don't need to learn to ride a bicycle over and over, but they still need you to design the next game for them.

Universal systems are like core systems, 'cept you don't need to wait for the next game in a genre that hasn't been covered yet, you can just play it. Worked out so well financially for Hero that they were bought out by a semi-successful corporate lawyer.

That's always been the thing about hypothetical perfection - how do you make money off it?

I mean, its not a BAD concept, but it really suites best games that tend to mix several fairly similar genre or settings together.
Like, not coincidentally, supers, where you might have have a badass with a shield, a disguise expert, an inventor in armor, and a mage all working together.

I'm still prettymuch sold on the hypothetical 'perfect system' being necessarily universal - otherwise, how could it be perfect it if it did some things better than others, those others would be imperfect. ;)

(Sorry to stray so far off topic, Garthanos).

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Wonder if this could extended to an oath that could even raise the dead.... [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] now has visions of epic Aragorn running through my head.

Wonder if this could extended to an oath that could even raise the dead.... [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] now has visions of epic Aragorn running through my head.

Destined Scion Background
Ranger/Warlord with Paladin Multiclass
Battle Captain Paragon Path
Legendary Sovereign Epic Destiny

With Crucial Advice level 2 Utility of course!

OK gonna ask for details... what is gained by Paladin Multiclass

The Houses of the Healing scene with the legend of “the hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known." When he applies the makeshift Aelthas salve to the mortally wounded and restores them, its up in the air if this is legitimate miracle or mundane tradecraft of an accomplished Ranger. The legend intimating the former begins to spread.

In 4e, a player could (of course) pick either truth, but I think the potential pseudo-divinity of his heritage is a good way to go. Soldier of Virtue allows a Paladin Skill and the ability to remove an affliction once per day (there you go). You could also go with one of the many Heal Utilities such as:

Healer’s Gift
You tend to a fallen comrade and stave off death’s touch.
Encounter Healing
Standard Action Melee 1
Target: One dying creature
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge.

In a Skill Challenge like what was facing Aragorn, I'd have the application of Virtue's Touch Daily = 2 successes outright or the application of Healer's Gift give a +3 to the Heal check given the coherent fictional positioning.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In 4e, a player could (of course) pick either truth, but I think the potential pseudo-divinity of his heritage is a good way to go. Soldier of Virtue allows a Paladin Skill and the ability to remove an affliction once per day (there you go).
That could quite a whopper there particularly if your DM uses wounded out of the battle but not dead minions as having afflictions ;)

Ofcourse Frodo had a super affliction.

Remove ads