Martial Practice : Blood Demand

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The base reason I picked a lower level aside from pulling it out of the blue was that intimidation already can accomplish some pretty extreme action inducement.

Further the Blood Demands are designed to be temporary as in a task which once accomplished the demand effect is gone -- to distinguish what I mean adjusted to a permanent effect Lancelot could have people submit themselves not only for judgement by Arthur in Camelot but induce servitude with a continuous PTSD like mental affliction till healed (and also based on mark of justice Lancelot would know when they went against the oath. )

The former allows Arthur to demonstrate mercy and other benignity with Lancelot being pragmatic (easier than physically transporting prisoners) the latter makes both tyrants (religious ones even)

ie Mark of Justice is akin to Blood Demand Mark II --> The religious edition.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, I remember that. One of the more open-ended rituals.

Yes Blood Demand has that too... I am thinking mayhaps to make Blood Demand level 8.

The lack of notification and single task nature (a task that can be completed in no less than 1 season? which
leaves it open to a bit of travelling for normal folks )

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So we get

Oath of Truth - Thou shall tell truth or be uncomfortably revealed immediately when you lie, effect lingers an hour - level 4 (maybe lower because of the requirements)
Blood Demand is thou shalt do X and get punished if you dont ends when you do - level 8
Mark of Justice is a thou shalt not forever and I will know if you do it - level 12

yes I know @AbdulAlhazred another argument for rituals and practices being the same.

Last edited:

So we get

Oath of Truth - Though shall tell truth or be uncomfortably revealed immediately when you lie lingers an hour - level 4
Blood Demand is thou shalt do X and get punished if you dont ends when you do - level 8
Mark of Justice is a thou shalt not forever and I will know if you do it - level 12

yes I know @AbdulAlhazred another argument for rituals and practices being the same.

Well, they are definitely 2 sides of one coin. I mean, 4e is prone to dividing things up into bins and then giving you access to only certain bins; that's a design decision that transcends ritual/practice/whatever. I just abolished most of the bins in my game. So at that point, and with the 'everything is magical in the world, there is no mundanity' concept, then both the mechanical and narrative distinctions have vanished, so the rules might as well just name them all one thing, or at most say "yeah, this one is a 'practice' and this one is a 'ritual'" for purely flavor reasons (I guess you could still use those as keywords and attach other rules to them again as you see fit for whatever milieu you create).

Because I like generality of rules I actually have called 'techniques' a form of 'power' with a potentially open-ended action cost (IE you may need to spend a day, kinda bends the notion of a power a bit, but at the same time it means all the normal machinery that attaches to the concept of power comes into play, like potentially refresh rates, keywords, concentration, etc).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well, they are definitely 2 sides of one coin. I mean, 4e is prone to dividing things up into bins and then giving you access to only certain bins; that's a design decision that transcends ritual/practice/whatever.

The reason is to convey flavor based on the bins it isn't always explicit and the bins may have some mechanical differences but still overlap ... martial practices are more likely to use healing surges than money and vice versi for rituals. It is kind of weird but Martial classes tend to both need the healing surges more and have more.

The reason is to convey flavor based on the bins it isn't always explicit and the bins may have some mechanical differences but still overlap ... martial practices are more likely to use healing surges than money and vice versi for rituals. It is kind of weird but Martial classes tend to both need the healing surges more and have more.

HS is a very high cost for a fighter. I've seen VERY few 4e adventuring days that didn't end when the fighter was out of hit points and surges. There are times when the cost isn't so bad, like if it saves you from taking damage (like resistance potions for instance can do). It is MUCH rarer to see a wizard run low on surges, unless they actually engineer things so that they can burn them to help the defenders. This became common with certain items and later with rituals and such that allowed for that kind of thing. I always thought it kind of undermined the design of the game.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
HS is a very high cost for a fighter. I've seen VERY few 4e adventuring days that didn't end when the fighter was out of hit points and surges. There are times when the cost isn't so bad, like if it saves you from taking damage (like resistance potions for instance can do). It is MUCH rarer to see a wizard run low on surges, unless they actually engineer things so that they can burn them to help the defenders. This became common with certain items and later with rituals and such that allowed for that kind of thing. I always thought it kind of undermined the design of the game.
The idea I have to enable somewhat more subtle costs is to allow a good skill roll to enable the enhanced function of a practice...ie as though the surge was spent.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

The idea I have to enable somewhat more subtle costs is to allow a good skill roll to enable the enhanced function of a practice...ie as though the surge was spent.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Well, I have levels of success/failure, a check that falls more than 4 points on either side of the DC is either a critical failure (low) or a complete success (high). You can buy a Complete Success for the price of a vitality point, if you are invoking a technique in the challenge (IE a ritual or practice or something similar). Otherwise you can spend your inspiration, keyed on a trait of the character for narrative explanation (you only get this once per session, though you can also accept a setback keyed on a trait as well to re-acquire inspiration). 1) you can't choose to reroll after the fact, you have to do it before the check, and 2) if you lack any of these ways to do it, then you are simply using a skill/power/etc and you take what you get, though the party may still have things like advantages in the challenge.

Since I also have 'daily' powers have a vitality point cost, all PCs get the same number.

Remove ads