D&D 4E A gathering of Martial Controllers - what do you think

Tony Vargas

Legend
IIRC, you don't really like 4e strikers in general, right?
Right. But, the Battlemaster I banged out, above, is based on the Slayer's stance sub-system and the way it swapped features to change the role of the base class. Same with the Swashbuckler, it uses Tricks like the Thief, and feature-swapping to make the Rogue into a Controller.

But the at-wills were fun and versatile, the poisons had plenty of potential (just lacking damage numbers), and the class features, like Lethal, are fun and evocotive.
I'd still rather have encounter powers, and be able to burn them to add damage dice to an at-will attack, or something, but assassin's strike works.
Obviously not for a controller build, so much. I was hoping the incorporation of poisons would inspire a way to incorporate controllerish bombs. Lightning just didn't strike a third time, I guess.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
heroes of Shadow.. ooh that reminds me they had a power i think will make a interesting Warlord power after a bit of flavor hyjinx
impressivestrike.png

Might call it persuasive strike instead....

or

Dain Bramage

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Right. But, the Battlemaster I banged out, above, is based on the Slayer's stance sub-system and the way it swapped features to change the role of the base class. Same with the Swashbuckler, it uses Tricks like the Thief, and feature-swapping to make the Rogue into a Controller.

Obviously not for a controller build, so much. I was hoping the incorporation of poisons would inspire a way to incorporate controllerish bombs. Lightning just didn't strike a third time, I guess.

I mean, not the specific poisons displayed. I'm sure we can easily make some poison bombs, though.

The structure of the class feature certainly works for it. And the assassin has some decent control striker encounter powers.

And the Lethal feature combines well with multi-target powers used against low-hp enemies.

I don't think it would take any more work than the thief you posted.

ok, so, the poisons are pretty weak, and don't add to damage as much as they should. That works to our advantage for a controller build. We don't need to tone down their damage when making them target a burst 1 or 2 within thrown range. With an upgrade somewhere (perhaps class feat) to allow you to make them into ammunition for a crossbow? As ammo, they gain that weapon's range, and if you target a creature instead of a square, it takes weapon attack damage?

Then I would swap Assassin Strike for either a controller style feature, or simply for normal assassin powers.

Lastly, I'd get rid of whatever their bland +1d8 feature is, and swap in a version of Shroud that can be applied to up to 4 target's, 1target/shroud, and if the target dies while shrouded, it deals half shroud damage to creatures adjacent to it.

That last one makes the class not purely martial, so I'd call it the most optional part.

Perhaps simply drop the damage feature to get some minor at will poisons you apply to at will attacks.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My controller Warlord powers seem to be coming along nicely

(not even sure what type of power persuasive strike is)

The penalty to defenses for the persuaded adversary is because of a zealotry condition they do not value their life as much anymore.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Warlords all around could get skills like....

History could be for the Tactical Geniuses

Resourceful build could get Streetwise

Diplomacy could be for ummm most of the rest

The Defender Dudes aka the class that Guards might get Perception

Hmmmmmm

This is part of My "Everybody Gots Skills" thinking...

The rogue being the super skill monkey seems a bow to tradition and at the expense of play balance outside of combat...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
ok, so, the poisons are pretty weak, and don't add to damage as much as they should. That works to our advantage for a controller build. We don't need to tone down their damage when making them target a burst 1 or 2 within thrown range. With an upgrade somewhere (perhaps class feat) to allow you to make them into ammunition for a crossbow? As ammo, they gain that weapon's range, and if you target a creature instead of a square, it takes weapon attack damage?

That hunter threw a bomb... called rapid shot.(Archers Barrage I would call it)

It was 9 squares worth at will, weapon ranged but at -2 on to hit for each target in the area.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Warlords all around could get skills like....

History could be for the Tactical Geniuses

Resourceful build could get Streetwise

Diplomacy could be for ummm most of the rest

The Defender Dudes aka the class that Guards might get Perception

Hmmmmmm

This is part of My "Everybody Gots Skills" thinking...

The rogue being the super skill monkey seems a bow to tradition and at the expense of play balance outside of combat...

Rager Fighter shouldnt require Endurance but rather simply Get it.

History could also be a Knight skill. (for Heraldrics)

Remove ads