Dark Sun 4e

evil homer

First Post
I completely skipped 4e. Played pathfinder and now 5e instead. While working up a new 5e campaign and getting ready to kick it off I was looking at some creature options from 4e, and then that led to reading some of the 4e rules and finally that led to wanting to actually give it a try.

I need to know what books I need to purchase to run a 4e Dark Sun game. I have a PHB, MM, DMG, MM2 inbound. I will be adding the 4e Dark Sun campaign setting as well. What else do I need? How much old 2e material do I need to aquire?

Can anyone give a quick review of the 4e setting material? Would it be better to run 4e mechanics in the 2e setting for additional material? I never really ran or played Dark Sun in 2e so this will be a new adventure for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Raith5

Adventurer
We have just started a 4e DS campaign. We are just two sessions in and I dont know enough about earlier editions of DS to make a contrast. We are using 2E maps and materials though, so I think you can use previous stuff rather easily.

However, I think you find the 4E Psionic Power book very important. I think there is 4E DS monster book that would be useful.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The 4e version of Dark Sun works pretty well as is, the 2e version does some gymnastics to get around the lack of Clerics, which isn't an issue in 4e with viable non-Cleric leader options in abundance.

It does assume the Psionic classes from the PH3, so you'll want that, for sure. You can skip the PH2, the classes in it are less appropriate to the setting. Psionic Power, similarly, would be nice to have, as it has some psionics-related items.

The monsters from MM3 and Monster Vault are generally better-done than those from the MM or MM2, particularly elites and solos.

thanson02

Explorer
There are also Dark Sun adventures that were published as well as articles in both Dragon and Dungeon Magazines from the 4E era that I would check out.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

The Human Target

Adventurer
Yeah if you want psionics get PHB3.

Dark Sun specific monsters grab the Dark Sun Creature Catalog.

You don't really need anything else, nothing from 2e unless you want it.

I'd recommend the PHB2 as well, but you don't need it.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
Can anyone give a quick review of the 4e setting material? Would it be better to run 4e mechanics in the 2e setting for additional material?

Besides the Dark Sun Campaign Setting, the Creature Catalog is a must have (or at least highly recommended). So is PHB3 for psionics.

I'd seriously consider PHB2 for the primal classes and the bard, which has an interesting spin. I don't recall the Primal power source in 2e DS, but the classes of Barbarian and Shaman for example fit nicely in my 4e campaign.

4e makes Martial classes shine, so I found Martial Power 1 and 2 to be helpful for more options. You'd have to decide for yourself if Martial Practices suit your tastes.

As for 2e material, I had a few books and greatly expanded my collection. But I found I used them only for inspiration (and the Campaign Setting contains more than enough fluff and mechanics). I did find the boxed set on Tyr to be extremely helpful, as a majority of my campaign was set in the city.

Enjoy Dark Sun and let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

thanson02

Explorer
4e makes Martial classes shine, so I found Martial Power 1 and 2 to be helpful for more options. You'd have to decide for yourself if Martial Practices suit your tastes.

Quick side note about Martial Power 2, they introduced a mechanic called Martial Practices. Martial practices work really well as replacement for rituals and low magic settings and if you needed to you could reskin some of the rituals in the player's handbook and give them more of a martial flavor if you need to.

I don't remember off the top of my head if Dark Sun is a low magic Campaign World or not. I just wanted to throw that out there and let people know that that's a additional option.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Cyvris

First Post
The 4e version of Dark Sun works pretty well as is, the 2e version does some gymnastics to get around the lack of Clerics, which isn't an issue in 4e with viable non-Cleric leader options in abundance.

It does assume the Psionic classes from the PH3, so you'll want that, for sure. You can skip the PH2, the classes in it are less appropriate to the setting. Psionic Power, similarly, would be nice to have, as it has some psionics-related items.

The monsters from MM3 and Monster Vault are generally better-done than those from the MM or MM2, particularly elites and solos.

I'd argue the Primal classes from PHB2 fit very well in Dark Sun. Shaman is a great "elemental" cleric, Druid is...Druid, and the Warden is another fun direction to take the "Elemental Cleric" idea. Really, the Primal power source is an ideal fit as it's all nature, spirits, and the world itself fighting themed.

Remove ads