D&D 5E Tales from the Yawning Portal: anyone know what level players will advance to in The Sunless Citadel?

dgscott

First Post
I'm currently considering purchasing Tales from the Yawning portal, or at least the Sunless Citadel addon because I am looking for a levels 1-4 (+ or - 1) player adventure, but all I know about the Sunless Citadel is that it starts for 1st level characters. Does anyone know how far it takes the players?

Last edited:

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Likely to 3rd level, assuming they do some exploration of the dungeon versus diving straight down.

The next adventure, Forge of Fury, is designed for 3rd level characters.

Artifact

Explorer
In the section About the Adventures (page 4) it says that characters who succeed in the Sunless Citadel (the first lowest level adventure in the set) have advanced to 3rd level. By that time, they'll be ready for the Forge of Fury (the next adventure), which should take them to 5th level.

This section assumes you'll be running the adventures as a campaign, starting with the Sunless Citadel and ending (maybe literally ;)) with Tomb of Horrors.

pukunui

Legend
I could've sworn the level ranges had been posted somewhere, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. From memory:

Sunless Citadel: 1-3
Forge of Fury: 3-5
Lost Shrine: 5-7
White Plume Mountain: ?
Dead in Thay: *
Against the Giants: ?
Tomb of Horrors: 13+

*DiT was originally written for multiple parties of 6th-8th level PCs. However, I believe they've rewritten it so a single party can get through it, and I wouldn't be surprised if they increased the level range as part of that. Maybe 8-10?

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
On the other hand, 5E characters level really fast during the first levels, so I wouldn't be surprised if all the xp you needed in 3E will get you to third level really quickly in the 5E Sunless Citadel.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
I could've sworn the level ranges had been posted somewhere, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. From memory:

Sunless Citadel: 1-3
Forge of Fury: 3-5
Lost Shrine: 5-7
White Plume Mountain: ?
Dead in Thay: *
Against the Giants: ?
Tomb of Horrors: 13+

*DiT was originally written for multiple parties of 6th-8th level PCs. However, I believe they've rewritten it so a single party can get through it, and I wouldn't be surprised if they increased the level range as part of that. Maybe 8-10?

Sunless Citadel: start level 1; advance to 3
Forge of Fury: start level 3; advance to 5
Lost Shrine: start level 5; advance to 7 or 8
White Plume Mountain: start level 8 advance to 9th or higher
Dead in Thay: "designed for characters of 9th to 11th level"
Against the Giants: "designed to be undertaken by characters of 11th level." - also, says should expect to level up after each section, so 14th level after finishing the fire giants
Tomb of Horrors: "Only high-level characters stand a chance of coming back alive" - having read it I don't think a party of less than 15th level has a chance, and even those parties will likely suffer one or more character deaths. I'm planning to seed rumors about this place in our current campaign (characters range in level from 5th to 10th) and let the PCs go whenever they think they are ready. :D

Onslaught

Explorer
On the other hand, 5E characters level really fast during the first levels, so I wouldn't be surprised if all the xp you needed in 3E will get you to third level really quickly in the 5E Sunless Citadel.

Agreed.

I'm puzzeled about WHEN should characters level up in Sunless Cidadel...

Spoiler (?) Below
As in... will they fight Calcryx the white dragon as Lvl1 characters? And if the clear the dungeon, they will only get to lvl3?
End of spoiler

abs

First Post
Sunless Citadel: start level 1; advance to 3
Forge of Fury: start level 3; advance to 5
Lost Shrine: start level 5; advance to 7 or 8
White Plume Mountain: start level 8 advance to 9th or higher
Dead in Thay: "designed for characters of 9th to 11th level"
Against the Giants: "designed to be undertaken by characters of 11th level." - also, says should expect to level up after each section, so 14th level after finishing the fire giants
Tomb of Horrors: "Only high-level characters stand a chance of coming back alive" - having read it I don't think a party of less than 15th level has a chance, and even those parties will likely suffer one or more character deaths. I'm planning to seed rumors about this place in our current campaign (characters range in level from 5th to 10th) and let the PCs go whenever they think they are ready. :D

The Adventurer's League Content Catalog lists the Tomb of Horrors as starting at 13th but doesn't list an ending level...

Remove ads