D&D 5E [OOC] Adventures in Ashwell: The Edge of Dispater

Azurewraith

Explorer
I'm not sure if you were asking me for an instrument. They are Mongolian themed upon in some ways. I'm not totally sure what their music was like if that's a catalyst.
Was just looking for guidance. Mongolian instruments were pretty simple couple of strings drums gongs etc. I'm no expert all my knowledge comes from Marco Polo on Netflix lol. Ill sort something out when we finalize sheets.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Hey [MENTION=552]Creamsteak[/MENTION], here's a weird question. Do the prestidigitation and thaumaturgy cantrips overlap? I'm selecting clerical cantrips, and am thinking that they do but I am not sure.

Thanks!

SG

Hah. I'm usually of the mind that the list is "exhaustive" I guess. They really are hard to distinguish. I felt similarly about the like 5 different fire cantrips on a few characters.

I will say that in this setting the specific powers you are invoking with each of the three are completely different. So for this game I think it makes sense if mechanically any of these spells can approximately accomplish the same things via different methods pulling from different kinds of power.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hah. I'm usually of the mind that the list is "exhaustive" I guess. They really are hard to distinguish. I felt similarly about the like 5 different fire cantrips on a few characters.

I will say that in this setting the specific powers you are invoking with each of the three are completely different. So for this game I think it makes sense if mechanically any of these spells can approximately accomplish the same things via different methods pulling from different kinds of power.

Cool, thanks. It could make sense that the wizard cantrip can do everything the cleric cantrip can, but not vice cersa. In any case, I will assume that prestidigitation can do everything thaumaturgy can (i'm mostly interested in the opening of doors & slight tremors).
Cheers,

SG

Creamsteak

Explorer
So right it looks something like we're doing:

Azurewraith - Raghnall Ursidae, Scylvendi Fighter
Traits: Shield Bash (As a reaction to a missed melee attack against you can make a melee attack with your shield against the target +5, 1d4+3 damage).

industrygothica - Kilvo Greyclaw, Dwarven Artificer
Traits: Dwarven Toughness.

Steve Gorak - Elven Cleric (eventually Wizard)
Traits: Prestidigitation Cantrip. Comprehend Languages Ritual.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
So right it looks something like we're doing:

Azurewraith - Raghnall Ursidae, Scylvendi Fighter
Traits: Shield Bash (As a reaction to a missed melee attack against you can make a melee attack with your shield against the target +5, 1d4+3 damage).

industrygothica - Kilvo Greyclaw, Dwarven Artificer
Traits: Dwarven Toughness.

Steve Gorak - Elven Cleric (eventually Wizard)
Traits: Prestidigitation Cantrip. Comprehend Languages Ritual.

Works for me! Just note that comprehend languages is already on the cleric spell list, so it's a marginally useful benefit. The ritual is more to beef up the character's progression. I'll galdly switch it with find familiar, but I think it would go against the low magic feel of the setting.
Cheers,

SG

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
You forgot me with lore bard. I'm kinda swamped at work (worked 12 hours today), but I can put the story and the basics tomorrow if that is not too late

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
You forgot me with lore bard. I'm kinda swamped at work (worked 12 hours today), but I can put the story and the basics tomorrow if that is not too late

My character would readily befriend another lover of knowledge!
It would be great if our skillset and languages were complimentary. Here is my uptaded character FYI:
[sblock]
View attachment 82841
[sblock=spell cheat sheet]
Cantrips
Guidance: link,
light: link,
mending: link,
Prestidigitation: link (note that Prestidigitation can also do what thaumaturgy can )

1st Level Spells Prepared: 2 1st level slots (* is a domain spell)
Bless: link
Cure wounds: link
Healing Word: link
Command*: link
Identify*: link
[/sblock]

Name: Thael Silverleaf
Sex: Male
Race: High elf
Class/Level: Cleric 1 (knowledge)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Size: Medium
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (Elf)
Init: +2
Passive Perception: 14

DEFENSE
AC: 18 (14 Scale Mail, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
HP: 10 (1d8 +2 Con)
Saves: Wisdom & Charisma
Special Defenses: none

OFFENSE
Speed: 30ft
Melee: Dagger +4 Attack, 1d4+2 Piercing; mace +3 attack, 1d6+1 bludgeoning
Ranged: Light Crossbow +4 Attack 1d8+2

STATISTICS
Str 13 (+1), Dex 14 (+2) , Con 14 (+2), Int 16 (+3), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 9 (-1)

SKILLS Proficies in bold, expertise in italics: 2 Cleric, 2 Knowledge Domain, 2 Background, 1 race
Mod Attribute Name of Skill
+2 (dex) Acrobatics
+2 (wis) Animal Handling
+7 (int) Arcana
+0 (str) Athletics
+0 (cha) Deception
+7 (int) History
+4 (wis) Insight
+0 (cha) Intimidation
+5 (int) Investigation
+2 (wis) Medicine
+3 (int) Nature
+4 (wis) Perception
+0 (cha) Performance
+0 (cha) Persuasion
+5 (int) Religion
+2 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+2 (dex) Stealth *Disadvantage because of armor*
+4 (wis) Survival

Languages: 2 elf race, 2 priest of knowledge, 2 background
Elven
Vasnosri - Sakarpic (common), Atrithi (rare)
Kengetic - Kianni (common, language of Ashwell), High Sheyic (rare)
Kûnüric

BACKGROUND FEATURES Sage
Feature: Researcher
Skill Proficiencies: Investigation, History

Traits: He will talk your ear off if you get him talking about a subject he is passionate about
Ideal: The pursuit of knowledge is not only a path to self improvement, but our duty to both our ancestors and our descendants.
Bond: I work to preserve the knowledge I have studied, and hope to contribute my own works one day and create my own library.
Also, I will fight those that seek to hide the truth and destroy knowledge.
Flaw: I am easily distracted by the promise of information. It can be quite a challenge to tear me away from my work.

CLASS FEATURES Cleric
- Spellcasting: Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your spells. The saving throw DC to resist a spell you cast is 12. Your attack bonus when you make an attack with a spell is +4.
Proficiencies Light armor, medium armor, shields, simple weapons
Divine Domain (Knowledge) Blessing of knowledge: add two languages known, select two skills (Arcana, History), you double your proficiency bonus for those skills.
Cantrips Known: Guidance,light, mending, Prestidigitation
1st Level Spells Prepared: 2 1st level slots Bless, Cure wounds, Healing Word, Command*, Identify* (* is a domain spell)

Background approved features
1 wizard cantrip: prestigitation.
1 spellbook. contains comprehend languages which can be cast as a ritual

Equipment
Cleric:
Mace
scale mail
a light crossbow and 20 bolts
an explorer’s pack: Includes a backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and
a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.
A shield and a holy symbol

Sage:
A bottle of black ink,
a quill,
a small knife,
a letter from a dead colleague posing a question you have not yet been able to answer,
a set of common clothes,
a belt pouch containing 3 gp

Extra purchases:
2gp dagger
5gp holy symbol emblem (on shield)

Physical Appearance:
Tobin is an average sized elf. He is a youngling, being only 85 years old. He has black hair, with green eyes. His complexion is creamy white, which one would expect from someone who spends at much time pouring over old tomes as he does.

Backstory:
Thael came grew in the forests surrounding xxx, hidden from the surrounding human lands. He had a simple and happy childhood in the forest, but his thirst of knowledge brought him to the high elven town of XXXX to study a a young age. No tragedy or twist of fate landed him on the doorstep of the library, simply an unending curiosity about anything and everything. Poor of coin and devoid of any marketable craft skills, Thael elected to join the priesthood of the temple that oversaw The Great Library. He spent many years pouring over old tomes on the arcane, history, religions, and anything else he could get his hands on.

If he had been able to, Thael would have become a wizard. Alas, this was for those of ages past, for the world's magic was now fickle, until now.

The elves, quite cunning, kept abreast of Human developments. This is how Thael learned of the developments in Ashwell. The moment he had heard of the town and what was happening, he knew that he needed to go there.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads