Fantasy Flight Games Announces Genesys RPG

Fantasy Flight Games have announced a new Roleplaying Game featuring their Narrative Dice System, the system used to power their Star Wars range of RPGs. The Genesys Core Rulebook will include all the core mechanics of the game, advice for Game Masters on adventure creation and play, and an overview of FIVE different settings which you could use for campaigns.

Fantasy Flight Games have announced a new Roleplaying Game featuring their Narrative Dice System, the system used to power their Star Wars range of RPGs. The Genesys Core Rulebook will include all the core mechanics of the game, advice for Game Masters on adventure creation and play, and an overview of FIVE different settings which you could use for campaigns.

Each of the settings will also provide character templates, equipment and foes specific to each. The five settings in the core book will be Fantasy, Steampunk, Weird War, Modern Day and Science Fiction. Some of these are further broken down within their relevant section – for instance in the Science Fiction section looks at both hard science fiction as well as space operas.

A Dynamic Dice System
Genesys utilizes the Narrative Dice System which allows for creative storytelling that goes beyond success and failure, and allows every dice roll to impact the story in dramatic ways.

Every challenge your character faces will have them rolling some combination of Ability and Difficulty dice, known as a dice pool, to determine the results. Ability dice come from your character’s unique skills and characteristics, and provide Success and Advantage symbols. Difficulty dice come from the difficulty of the task your character is trying to achieve, and provide Failure and Threat symbols. Lockpicking an old, rusty door may only provide one Difficulty die, while hacking through a hi-tech firewall designed by a master codesmith may provide many more Difficulty dice. To succeed in whatever task your character is trying to accomplish, a player simply must roll more Success symbols than Failure symbols.

While this may seem simple, the addition of the Advantage and Threat symbols make the results far from binary. Rolling more Advantage symbols yields some positive side effect, regardless of success or failure of the task. This can include things like finding unexpected cover in a firefight or remaining unnoticed while hacking a computer. Meanwhile, rolling Threat means some negative side effect has occurred. Maybe your character drops their weapon after a successful attack or takes longer than expected to track their quarry through the wilderness.

When your character is an expert in the field, or when a task is truly difficult, Ability dice and Difficulty dice can be upgraded to Proficiency and Challenge dice, respectively. Proficiency dice, like Ability dice, feature Success and Advantage symbols, but also include the Triumph symbol. The Triumph symbol not only represents a Success, but also provides a massive side benefit to your action. This might be inflicting a critical injury on a foe or triggering a powerful ability on a weapon. Inversely, the Challenge die features Failure and Threat symbols, but also includes the powerful Despair symbol. Rolling this icon not only counts as a Failure, but indicates a significant bane or side effect to your action. Your character may fall off the rope they are trying to climb, or run out of ammo in the middle of a gunfight. These effects can drastically impact the course of your game, and make every dice roll an exciting event.

Your dice pool can further be modified by Boost and Setback dice. Boost dice feature Success and Advantage symbols, and are added to your roll when the circumstances around the task you are trying to achieve are beneficial. Maybe your character has hacked a computer like this before, or they have ample time to complete the task; your GM will likely add Boost dice to your pool. Setback dice, on the other hand, feature Failure and Threat symbols, and represent complications to the task at hand. Maybe your character is trying to act in the dark, or they don’t have the resources they need.

With the variance provided by these clever Advantage and Threat icons, the possibilities of results are limited only by you and your GM’s creativity.

More information can be found out about Genesys on the Fantasy Flight Games website.
SaveSave

JeffB

Legend
Yesterday I was rather tempted to take out the SW rules and adapt them to a fantasy setting, in order to play with a more casual gamer group. It took me some time to convince myself that I have to be patient and wait until later this year when the real deal Genesys comes out.
I still have the WH 3rd ed rules though... Maybe if I take some hours to explain it to my group...? Maybe they won't be turned off? *eyes twitching intensifies*

There is a very good fantasy conversion already out there link to ffg forums thread

Character sheets on second page of thread.

JeffB

Legend
Immensly useful! Thanks a lot!

I made up a couple characters, monsters, and ran some mock combats/sitches. I thought the Clerical magic was a good match to OD&D style clerical spells- less flashy, more subtle "helper" spells. The Slayer fighter was fun. My intention was to possibly utilize as the system for the game/campaign ending adventures this summer with my group (who like FFG SW).

I think the big thing is not approaching things like characters/monster conversions in a "translate this from D&D" mode, but rather ask yourself "what is this monster's deal? what do I want it do in the scene?" and stay away from strict conversions and forcing D&D playstyle onto the conversion rules. I decided against the conversion, only because of that fact- I really needed to approach the campaign ending adventures from a D&D mindset as it's the end of a multi year D&D game and characters. I think the EotE fantasy conversion would work best as a campaign starting from scratch, and built to its strengths and flow, not to D&D's.

I think the EotE fantasy conversion would work best as a campaign starting from scratch, and built to its strengths and flow, not to D&D's.

It sounds strange, isn't it? One would think that a system shouldn't structure (or constrain) the feeling of a RPG so much, but it does! I love the narrative dice system exactly because it diverges from traditional D&D and through its design opens up other paths of the RPG experience. (Well that sounded a bit snobby - but I regret nothing!)

I also wouldn't try to bend an existing campaign that runs on certain assumptions where the players (and the DM) have a certain groove with it. Better to end it without too many hickups and then start something new with a different system.

How... why... but... Okay, this is just insane. Come again, why do I not have to pay anything for this masterfully crafted piece of work? (Besides the fact of course, that if it would cost anything FFG would cease and desist you to Dagobah and back.)

D

dco

One of the worst systems I've tried, I hope they use another system with L5R.
- Costs more : It needs custom dice.
- Not intuitive: You don't know your chances.
- Slow: Roll a lot of dice, count successes and advantages/disadvantages.
- Resolution paralisis: Advantages or disadvantages have to be translated to something.
- Mood and inventive is important: Ideally you want balanced advantages and disadvantages.
- Higher variability: With advantages and disadvantages you have an extra layer above success and failure, when you do something extra things can happen and you can not prevent them because they are completely random.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Based on my own experience with the Star Wars RPG, this is one of the best systems I've ever played. That doesn't mean its the best system for every type of game or setting (or gamer) out there, but I will be excited to see the final product and any adjustments, modifications, or options to make it adaptable to a variety of genres and themes.

If you're resistant to new ideas and fixed on your expectations for what an RPG should or shouldn't give you, stay where you're comfortable. Honestly, no one is going to mind if you do. Anyone else who is even mildly curious should understand one important aspect of this system: its very different from your typical RPG. You need to actually play the game with some friends to get a feel for it. Reading about it is no substitution for the real experience. And finally, allow yourself some time to reflect on your observations to decide if this game is the right fit for you and/or your group. Because it may be overwhelming to take in a lot of new ideas at first, but using the basic mechanics in play is very easy to learn and drives the entire game in pretty much the same way.

When I brought this game to my old D&D group, there were a few learning blocks we had to hurdle as a group. First and foremost, we had to get used to the idea that this game is focused entirely on the narrative of the story. All of the dice and mechanics enable the group to collectively tell the tale of what happens in the story. We had to quell our inner-munchkins trying to optimize every dice pool and just get on with it. Our old way of thinking--that our goal was to maximize the potential success for our characters in every possible instance--was a detraction from the real enjoyment of the game itself. The dice were not meant to measure the effectiveness of our characters, but simply help us decide what happens next. Were we able to slice into the computer terminal to open the locked door? Yes (success), but it alerted the enemy of our location (threat). Can we navigate safely through the asteroid field? Unfortunately we were unable to get through without damage to the ship (failure), but we were able to evade our pursuers (advantage). Interpreting the dice is an art, and like anything else, it takes practice in order to achieve any level of mastery.

Unlike other game systems dominated by combat and power-ups, fights were much more abstract and low-key. That's not to say they were unexciting or forgettable. You just didn't need to kill everything on the board to win, or feel the need to be rewarded with greater pieces of equipment to make you even more competent in your next dozen battles. In fact, combat doesn't even need to be fair. Faced with overwhelming odds? Try to surrender. Or find another way out. The story will go on.

My last bit of advice is in regards to character builds. Really, there's no bad choices. Play the character you want to play, not because someone thinks there's actually a "best" way to play it. There are no real limitations on the specializations and skills you can take, only costs and whatever rules your GM makes. Anyone can fire a blaster, anyone can pilot a ship. The only real difference is the aptitude and skill you invest, which are interchangeable in this system. A character optimized in a specialized skill or trait only shines as often as he/she is able to perform that one trick. Just like characters in a (good) book or movie, the most memorable ones are the ones that can learn and grow. And, again, this game is focused on the narrative of a story. Think how any Star Wars film or show is presented. Its done in scenes. Time and perspective is moved quickly to get to the most relevant parts of the story. Your character may be in a chase through Coruscant in one scene, then find themselves at a den of smugglers in the next.

Give it a try, and then give yourself some time to get good at it. This might be the game you're looking for.

The Human Target

Adventurer
First: I'm full of joy about FFG's plans! Hopefully they have learned from WHF 3rd and EotE and put in some clarifications to the system.

I tried EotE with my group and had quite a lot of fun, but we got exhausted quite quickly by rolling checks too often. Not beacuse of reading the dice. After a while we got good with it. But we had some burn out because of thinking constantly how setbacks and advantages would translate into the whole game. So after several sessions we dismissed the system and went back to D&D.
And that was the problem: We tried to play it like a D&D-clone. But that's how the problems start. If you want to roll for every action a PC takes, it will get tedious and you will have a hard time to forge an interesting narrative around the setbacks and advantages. But if you restrain yourself from the D&D paradigm of "okay, you want to do X, then give me a roll", then it will work superb! Not every action requires a roll. Not every instance has to be about checking whether your character accomplishes something or not.
If this will be communicated well enough in the rulebook, then the people getting into Genesys will have a blast, I think. If not, then people will be quickly annoyed.

My hopes are high, though!

That's one of my big problems with the system. I ended up with three sets of dice for my group (which still wasn't enough) and then realized the system works best with the minimum amount of rolling.

Except for combat, which requires constant rolling and gets super bogged down when it's supposed to be cinematic.

Bah I say!

JeffB

Legend
Based on my own experience with the Star Wars RPG, this is one of the best systems I've ever played. That doesn't mean its the best system for every type of game or setting (or gamer) out there, but I will be excited to see the final product and any adjustments, modifications, or options to make it adaptable to a variety of genres and themes.

If you're resistant to new ideas and fixed on your expectations for what an RPG should or shouldn't give you, stay where you're comfortable. Honestly, no one is going to mind if you do. Anyone else who is even mildly curious should understand one important aspect of this system: its very different from your typical RPG. You need to actually play the game with some friends to get a feel for it. Reading about it is no substitution for the real experience. And finally, allow yourself some time to reflect on your observations to decide if this game is the right fit for you and/or your group. Because it may be overwhelming to take in a lot of new ideas at first, but using the basic mechanics in play is very easy to learn and drives the entire game in pretty much the same way.

When I brought this game to my old D&D group, there were a few learning blocks we had to hurdle as a group. First and foremost, we had to get used to the idea that this game is focused entirely on the narrative of the story. All of the dice and mechanics enable the group to collectively tell the tale of what happens in the story. We had to quell our inner-munchkins trying to optimize every dice pool and just get on with it. Our old way of thinking--that our goal was to maximize the potential success for our characters in every possible instance--was a detraction from the real enjoyment of the game itself. The dice were not meant to measure the effectiveness of our characters, but simply help us decide what happens next. Were we able to slice into the computer terminal to open the locked door? Yes (success), but it alerted the enemy of our location (threat). Can we navigate safely through the asteroid field? Unfortunately we were unable to get through without damage to the ship (failure), but we were able to evade our pursuers (advantage). Interpreting the dice is an art, and like anything else, it takes practice in order to achieve any level of mastery.

Unlike other game systems dominated by combat and power-ups, fights were much more abstract and low-key. That's not to say they were unexciting or forgettable. You just didn't need to kill everything on the board to win, or feel the need to be rewarded with greater pieces of equipment to make you even more competent in your next dozen battles. In fact, combat doesn't even need to be fair. Faced with overwhelming odds? Try to surrender. Or find another way out. The story will go on.

My last bit of advice is in regards to character builds. Really, there's no bad choices. Play the character you want to play, not because someone thinks there's actually a "best" way to play it. There are no real limitations on the specializations and skills you can take, only costs and whatever rules your GM makes. Anyone can fire a blaster, anyone can pilot a ship. The only real difference is the aptitude and skill you invest, which are interchangeable in this system. A character optimized in a specialized skill or trait only shines as often as he/she is able to perform that one trick. Just like characters in a (good) book or movie, the most memorable ones are the ones that can learn and grow. And, again, this game is focused on the narrative of a story. Think how any Star Wars film or show is presented. Its done in scenes. Time and perspective is moved quickly to get to the most relevant parts of the story. Your character may be in a chase through Coruscant in one scene, then find themselves at a den of smugglers in the next.

Give it a try, and then give yourself some time to get good at it. This might be the game you're looking for.

Preach it Brutha!!!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads