Fantasy Flight Games Announces Genesys RPG

Fantasy Flight Games have announced a new Roleplaying Game featuring their Narrative Dice System, the system used to power their Star Wars range of RPGs. The Genesys Core Rulebook will include all the core mechanics of the game, advice for Game Masters on adventure creation and play, and an overview of FIVE different settings which you could use for campaigns.

Fantasy Flight Games have announced a new Roleplaying Game featuring their Narrative Dice System, the system used to power their Star Wars range of RPGs. The Genesys Core Rulebook will include all the core mechanics of the game, advice for Game Masters on adventure creation and play, and an overview of FIVE different settings which you could use for campaigns.

Each of the settings will also provide character templates, equipment and foes specific to each. The five settings in the core book will be Fantasy, Steampunk, Weird War, Modern Day and Science Fiction. Some of these are further broken down within their relevant section – for instance in the Science Fiction section looks at both hard science fiction as well as space operas.

A Dynamic Dice System
Genesys utilizes the Narrative Dice System which allows for creative storytelling that goes beyond success and failure, and allows every dice roll to impact the story in dramatic ways.

Every challenge your character faces will have them rolling some combination of Ability and Difficulty dice, known as a dice pool, to determine the results. Ability dice come from your character’s unique skills and characteristics, and provide Success and Advantage symbols. Difficulty dice come from the difficulty of the task your character is trying to achieve, and provide Failure and Threat symbols. Lockpicking an old, rusty door may only provide one Difficulty die, while hacking through a hi-tech firewall designed by a master codesmith may provide many more Difficulty dice. To succeed in whatever task your character is trying to accomplish, a player simply must roll more Success symbols than Failure symbols.

While this may seem simple, the addition of the Advantage and Threat symbols make the results far from binary. Rolling more Advantage symbols yields some positive side effect, regardless of success or failure of the task. This can include things like finding unexpected cover in a firefight or remaining unnoticed while hacking a computer. Meanwhile, rolling Threat means some negative side effect has occurred. Maybe your character drops their weapon after a successful attack or takes longer than expected to track their quarry through the wilderness.

When your character is an expert in the field, or when a task is truly difficult, Ability dice and Difficulty dice can be upgraded to Proficiency and Challenge dice, respectively. Proficiency dice, like Ability dice, feature Success and Advantage symbols, but also include the Triumph symbol. The Triumph symbol not only represents a Success, but also provides a massive side benefit to your action. This might be inflicting a critical injury on a foe or triggering a powerful ability on a weapon. Inversely, the Challenge die features Failure and Threat symbols, but also includes the powerful Despair symbol. Rolling this icon not only counts as a Failure, but indicates a significant bane or side effect to your action. Your character may fall off the rope they are trying to climb, or run out of ammo in the middle of a gunfight. These effects can drastically impact the course of your game, and make every dice roll an exciting event.

Your dice pool can further be modified by Boost and Setback dice. Boost dice feature Success and Advantage symbols, and are added to your roll when the circumstances around the task you are trying to achieve are beneficial. Maybe your character has hacked a computer like this before, or they have ample time to complete the task; your GM will likely add Boost dice to your pool. Setback dice, on the other hand, feature Failure and Threat symbols, and represent complications to the task at hand. Maybe your character is trying to act in the dark, or they don’t have the resources they need.

With the variance provided by these clever Advantage and Threat icons, the possibilities of results are limited only by you and your GM’s creativity.

More information can be found out about Genesys on the Fantasy Flight Games website.
SaveSave

Brodie

Explorer
I would not be surprised, but watch out for major backlash if it happens. L5R fans generally like the Roll & Keep mechanic. Lord knows, I've got 50d10 mostly because of running L5R...

Same. But with my group, they also double as dice for the various old World of Darkness games that get run. I liked that L5R capped at ten dice and carried over any additional dice that would be rolled as a bonus to the roll.

I can understand FFG using this new system and fully expect them to. Like I said, I'll likely buy the book. I do like the system, just don't think it can capture the feel of the magic or combat, to say nothing of the intricacies of a duel.

Staffan

Legend
The GENESYS symbols look different but still map one-to-one for every FFG Star Wars symbol. I think FFG opted to have GENESYS be more generic and stay away from Star Wars specific iconography (like the Imperial symbol used for Threat on various dice).

If you have played FFG Star Wars for a while you can easily convert the symbols between both systems on the fly during play.
It's pretty easy yes, but for simplicity's sake I'd recommend that each player only use either Star Wars dice or Genesys dice, not both. It's easy to remember that "three spiky bits" cancel "explosion", and that "four spiky bits" cancel "sun", but remembering that "four spiky bits" also cancel "explosion" might take an extra second to process.

As for building dice pools, that's generally pretty easy, but I strongly recommend using a character sheet where you can note the dice used for your skills so you know "I roll 1 green and 2 yellow for Computers" instead of going "I have Int 3 so I roll three dice, and I have Computers 2 so I upgrade two of those to yellow, so that makes 1 green and 2 yellow". That's just common sense, just like pre-calculating your modifiers in D&D so you know "I have +5 to hit with my axe" instead of "I have Str 16 so that's +3, and I have a proficiency bonus of +2, so that's a total of +5".

aramis erak

Legend
I suggest it might be a good fit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I'm not sure a new edition is required—4th edition is pretty good. But now that FFG own the rights, it seems quite possible they'd would work on a new RPG for L5R...and Genesys is their new (and only) RPG system...

But what would I know? :)

Not their product lines, obviously...

They have 2 in current production: End of the World and Star Wars, with Genesys being closely related to Star Wars.

End of the World has a unique d6-only system, very rules-light.

They've another core engine for Fireborn, and that could easily be adapted for L5R - and still keep the rings concept... and be adapted to d10's instead of d6's. Essentially, it uses 4 atts - linked to elements - Mental Offense, Mental Defense, Physical Offense, Physical defense. Skills are how much you can move from another attribute into another. (Haven't had the chance to run it.) Add void, and swap to d10's... could very easily be adpated to do L5R.

And, if you want to go back a way, they have the Twilight Imperium RPG, a percentile system just different enough from Chaosium's to be annoying, and just close enough not to be memorably so.

I don't forsee them narrowing to one singular house engine. I see them having a couple engines in use at a given time, which dependent upon the design team picking which one works better.

I've tended to not like narrative games.... but most that I've played try and put narrative mechanics in with normal skill roll target numbers. And I just get all cross-eyed. The unusual dice here and their mechanic makes me really want to try this out. I'll have to look at the star wars rules to see how they play.

Staffan

Legend
I've tended to not like narrative games.... but most that I've played try and put narrative mechanics in with normal skill roll target numbers. And I just get all cross-eyed. The unusual dice here and their mechanic makes me really want to try this out. I'll have to look at the star wars rules to see how they play.
I can tell you that the Age of Rebellion Beginner game plus the web expansion has probably been the best money spent for the amount of play I got out of it, and especially for the amount of fun. The comparison might be somewhat unfair because in the web expansion bit I went to the full rules, but it was still great.

The AOR beginner game has the players take on the role of a rebel squad whose job it is to infiltrate and take over a secret Imperial spy base - so secret it's not on the official books. That's all well and good, but once that is done you get to continue with the web expansion, Operation: Shadowpoint. Basically, now you have a secret spy base. Now what? You need to deal with some locals - both colonists and "barbarians", in order to set up supply lines. You need to keep the base hidden. You probably need to repair some stuff that got damaged in the take-over. You need a code guy to figure out what the stuff you get mean - and oh, he managed to get himself nicked by the Imperials, so you need to break him out before they put him in the really secure prison. That sort of stuff. It is awesome, and I can't recommend it enough.

The one thing I would change is that the supposedly climactic chase in the Beginner game... well, isn't, because the chase rules in the beginner game are kind of static and just use the regular combat rules (which are more about getting into position to fight than getting away/catching up). Instead, adapt the rules from the full game into something like this:
[sblock]

• It will take six rounds for the bad guy to get to where he's going.
  • PCs start at medium range away from him.
  • At the start of each round, each pilot rolls Pilot against a standard difficulty set by speed and half-silhouette (number of difficulty dice = the higher of the two; upgrade a number of those equal to the lower to challenge dice - just like how skills work, but for difficulty instead). So if the AT-ST is going at full speed, the difficulty is two red dice (plus a setback die for the bad handling), and the speeders have two purple and a red (with the pilot getting a boost die for good handling). The winner gets one range band in his or her favor (if the bad guy wins, he gets one step farther away; if the PC wins she gets one step closer). In addition, if the winner is faster, he or she gets one additional range band per difference in speed (so if the speeders win over the AT-ST, they get to close two bands because they're one step faster).
[/sblock]

Yesterday I was rather tempted to take out the SW rules and adapt them to a fantasy setting, in order to play with a more casual gamer group. It took me some time to convince myself that I have to be patient and wait until later this year when the real deal Genesys comes out.
I still have the WH 3rd ed rules though... Maybe if I take some hours to explain it to my group...? Maybe they won't be turned off? *eyes twitching intensifies*

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads