D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

lkj

Hero
Worth noting that their homebrew tools pretty much let you enter all the data yourself without buying any books. And they are offering the toolset (and all SRD+Basic) for free. As well as the tools to enter the data.

I kind of see it as paying them for the data entry. (i.e., doing the scanning for you).

AD

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm not interested in buying a book I already own a second time in a format that I'll actually get use out of, I'm only interested in using that exact same amount of money to buy a completely NEW book each and every month that I'll read through once and then put on my shelf to never actually use.

(Oh, wait... no... I'm thinking 3E here! Heh! Sorry, my mistake!)

fantasmamore

Explorer
From what I understand, doesn't matter if one subscribes or buys the full book, we still pay for access to the content and not for the content itself. What I mean is that if D&D Beyond tomorrow goes offline we loose everything. Don't get me wrong. I still pay my DDi subscription (I renew last month). I enjoy the access (that's why I pay them) but I payed dozens of time the price for each book from 2010. That's a mistake that I decided to never repeat again.
Now, a question. If someone buys "Curse of Strahd" what does he get? Downloadable maps for use with the VTT of his choice? The actual text available offline? Just the stats for the monsters so that he can manually copy-paste them wherever he likes? How is D&D Beyond going to help me plan and run my game?

gyor

Legend
Anything RPG related I buy in book form that has a related pdf gives me the pdf for free. Except this.

Every Blu-ray/UHD disc I currently buy gives me a portable digital file for free.

Every CD I buy I can legally and easily rip for portable use.

If "act like your competition" is whining, so be it. I play D&D for the tactile nature of the game. Yeah, I'd use digital tools if I were miles away from the other players but if I'm sitting with my fellow players I'll need more incentive than what they're giving me.

$29.99 (regular price) for a PHB or spend $0.78 more for an actual copy? I'd rather do the latter and have another copy on my bookshelf. If you charged me $10 for a pdf I couldn't share, I'd go for that.

Your not whining, your being entirely reasonable, WotC has created this messed up situation because of fear pirates, which ironically has pushed people who want PDFs to the Pirates giving the Pirates a monopoly on them.

And no D&D Beyond is not a replacement for selling PDFs, as someone else pointed Out if the company behind D&D Beyond goes out of business, oops sorry your screwed, no thanks, I'd not spend an ungodly amount of money on something I can never get back.

lkj

Hero
FWIW, there will be offline functionality via mobile apps sometime after launch.

Secondarily-- a pdf is a far less functional version of the books than is being offered by DDB. With DDB you get access to the full content of the book and get full integration into the toolset.

AD

From what I understand, doesn't matter if one subscribes or buys the full book, we still pay for access to the content and not for the content itself. What I mean is that if D&D Beyond tomorrow goes offline we loose everything. Don't get me wrong. I still pay my DDi subscription (I renew last month). I enjoy the access (that's why I pay them) but I payed dozens of time the price for each book from 2010. That's a mistake that I decided to never repeat again.
Now, a question. If someone buys "Curse of Strahd" what does he get? Downloadable maps for use with the VTT of his choice? The actual text available offline? Just the stats for the monsters so that he can manually copy-paste them wherever he likes? How is D&D Beyond going to help me plan and run my game?

You know, this is an excellent question. If I purchase Curse of Strahd on DnDBeyond, what do I get for my money, beyond merely an electronic version of my book? Having all combats and maps preloaded into a combat tracker would be a LOT of saved effort, especially for those of us graceful and dignified (lazy) enough to run straight from the book, but the website does not yet have a combat tracker. What else, then?

Remove ads

Remove ads