D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Nope, i'm out.

After DDI debacle, I don't do subscriptions. I've already bought the physicals, and digital for FG. I'm not buying AGAIN for something that I have to have a monthly sub for. At least FG had the brilliant idea of having a purchase there or at paizo count towards the other's digital form. THAT was brilliant. But even with PF, Looking at hero forge, i'd again be dragged over the coals after physical purchases.

There really needs to be a solution for this. A digital clearing house. You buy physical, has scratch off QR code. login into clearing house, register your purchase, bam, access to ALL the digital offerings for a stupid cheap additional price, like $5-15. Total, not each. That's FG content, rollCrappy content, Hero Forge content, Beyond, PDF, etc.

Everybody wins.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I was going to ask if you can export the character sheet for printing but then realised I could just go to the website and check for myself. Looks like this will be an option.

dm4hire

Explorer
WotC has the worst track record for online products. I still don't understand their fear of PDFs. $20 is a steep price for PDFs of books most players already own. Paizo is releasing Starfinder next month and have already stated that the PDF will share their core book line price of $10. Every PDF I own was either free with purchase of the book or I bought for less than $20, usually around 15 max.

Their market scheme seems based on fear that people will steal the book. Most people are honest and will pay for the book. Those who won't, most likely never will.

Now if they were offering it $20 for PDF and the app, I would be more inclined to spend the money.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Digital tools would be anywhere from very nice to extremely helpful, depending on what the individual tool is, but I won't be getting or using this.

I can already do everything I would use this for with pen, paper, and the books. I'm definitely not shelling out the full book price again for each book I own just to integrate it into the program. I will buy the content once. The only time I may buy it again is if I somehow lose or irreparably damage it (as I have lost some AD&D 2e products during several instances of moving), but that is all.

Furthermore, I definitely won't be paying a subscription fee just to be able to use homebrew content. That's idiotic.

Last edited by a moderator:

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
A lot of people on here seem to think you NEED to subscribe. You do not. You can buy the PHB for $20 at launch, never subscribe, and still use the the tools with the PHB content, for a limited number of characters.

What you will not be able to do is make unlimited characters, consume other's homebrew content, or share what you've purchased with other accounts.

For me a one time price of $20 bucks is a very attractive price. So this is where I plan to start. The only way I would subscribe is if other players at my game also made accounts.

lkj

Hero
Digital tools would be anywhere from very nice to extremely helpful, depending on what the individual tool is, but I won't be getting or using this.

I can already do everything I would use this for with pen, paper, and the books. I'm definitely not shelling out the full book price again for each book I own just to integrate it into the program. I will buy the content once. The only time I may buy it again is if I somehow lose or irreparably damage it (as I have lost some AD&D 2e products during several instances of moving), but that is all.

Furthermore, I definitely won't be paying a subscription fee just to be able to use homebrew content. That's idiotic.

I would never try to convince you to buy a product you don't want or really need.

However, you don't have to pay a fee to use homebrew content. You can enter homebrew content for free. The subscription simply gives you access to other people's homebrew content that they have decided to make public. The other 'subscription features' are unlimited character slots, being ad free, and (for the higher subscription) being able to share any content you buy with up to 12 people (which allows gaming groups to split the costs-- making it substantially more affordable).

AD

MechaPilot

Explorer
I would never try to convince you to buy a product you don't want or really need.

However, you don't have to pay a fee to use homebrew content. You can enter homebrew content for free. The subscription simply gives you access to other people's homebrew content that they have decided to make public. The other 'subscription features' are unlimited character slots, being ad free, and (for the higher subscription) being able to share any content you buy with up to 12 people (which allows gaming groups to split the costs-- making it substantially more affordable).

AD

Ah. Thank you for clarifying. I still won't be getting or using this, but I retract my previous "idiotic" remark.

xanstin

Explorer
A lot of people on here seem to think you NEED to subscribe. You do not....

I fully realize this for one, but the problem is I have repurchased all the books for FG after owning the paper ones. So to make any PC I want albeit at a limited amount I have to pay $90 for SCAG, VOLO and PHB. Let alone wanting DMG and MM info for my DMing. I am less bothered by the sub for $3. If I didn't already have FG I would strongly consider but I find it hard that pathfinder can setup discounts for the digital products on a platform like FG that you have purchased. Yet Wizards cant seem to do it across the 3 platforms it now has setup (Roll20, FG and not DDB) subsidizing the cost so the 3rd party still gets their normal amount.

I have wanted to love this since it first came out as a beta. It's been disappointing in some ways. I have used it when DMing online as a way to have monster stats readily available. It is much more convenient than grabbing books while sitting at the computer. However, the character builder is not particularly useful. Why can't I print out my character on a standard character sheet for my live game? The character builder has minimal applicability for online gaming since the major interfaces store character sheets online. The question in my mind is will I use it? At this point, I would have to say not enough to warrant purchasing it. Still I go online to dndbeyond frequently to see what additional features have been added. I want to like it. I want to want to buy it. But I just don't at this point. Can anyone help me make the right decision?

Remove ads

Remove ads