D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

JeffB

Legend
Is 5e so complicated you really need a character builder? People who are willing to go buy a sub to this thing probably have plenty of ability to level up their characters with paper, pencil, and dice.

Its not Moldvay/Cook/Marsh but this is the first Wizards edition where I don't feel the need for one at all.

I have used it when DMing online as a way to have monster stats readily available. It is much more convenient than grabbing books while sitting at the computer.

I know you haven't decided for yourself yet, but for me, this is what sells it. I really dislike having to bounce between multiple pages in the MM (and possibly even another book or two) if the fight I'm running contains two or more types of monster. Having everything all consolidated when it comes to foes is definitely worth the price of admission for me...

Ristamar

Adventurer
Regardless of the quality of DDB, I can understand the frustration of those that don't want to pay full price again for digital products they've bought on other platforms. Multiplatform digital licensing shouldn't be this difficult for WotC to nail down.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I know you haven't decided for yourself yet, but for me, this is what sells it. I really dislike having to bounce between multiple pages in the MM (and possibly even another book or two) if the fight I'm running contains two or more types of monster. Having everything all consolidated when it comes to foes is definitely worth the price of admission for me...
While it sound good, I tend to have the relevant stats copied down for each monster in each encounter or an easy to use cheat sheet if they are used in multiple encounters. Makes it easier for than referring to a book or website.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Regardless of the quality of DDB, I can understand the frustration of those that don't want to pay full price again for digital products they've bought on other platforms. Multiplatform digital licensing shouldn't be this difficult for WotC to nail down.
What would you even need the PHB for? Isn't the srd content included already? Could probably just enter in the eldritch knight details yourself via the homebrew content if that is the fighter subclass you want to use.

While it sound good, I tend to have the relevant stats copied down for each monster in each encounter or an easy to use cheat sheet if they are used in multiple encounters. Makes it easier for than referring to a book or website.

Relevant stats are all well and good, but when Monster #1 has Special Attack A and Monster #2 has Special Attack B and so on, you're still going to either be spending way to much time making your cheat sheet or flipping pages. If I can have everything all consolidated in one place for one encounter, I'll be very happy...

lkj

Hero
I have wanted to love this since it first came out as a beta. It's been disappointing in some ways. I have used it when DMing online as a way to have monster stats readily available. It is much more convenient than grabbing books while sitting at the computer. However, the character builder is not particularly useful. Why can't I print out my character on a standard character sheet for my live game? The character builder has minimal applicability for online gaming since the major interfaces store character sheets online. The question in my mind is will I use it? At this point, I would have to say not enough to warrant purchasing it. Still I go online to dndbeyond frequently to see what additional features have been added. I want to like it. I want to want to buy it. But I just don't at this point. Can anyone help me make the right decision?

I don't know if this will help you. But you will definitely be able to print a character sheet by the time the software launches. Also they are eventually going to provide exporting of those character sheets to the roll20 and fantasy ground formats.

AD

lkj

Hero
Is 5e so complicated you really need a character builder? People who are willing to go buy a sub to this thing probably have plenty of ability to level up their characters with paper, pencil, and dice.

Its not Moldvay/Cook/Marsh but this is the first Wizards edition where I don't feel the need for one at all.

You certainly don't need it. It's definitely a lot easier than Third Edition. However I probably game with about 10 different people of varying skill levels. And an easy-to-use character builder that walks you through character creation is extremely valuable. Even for fifth edition. Some people simply don't learn the rules well. They can still be great Gamers. But they don't want to spend a lot of time learning how to make a character.

And if they pull off a useful export to roll20., That will make it far more valuable to me. Not something you should buy it for now. But we use roll20 a lot and getting those character sheets to work has been too much time by far.

AD

S

Sunseeker

$3/mo isn't bad.
$6/mo isn't bad.

Rebuying the content just to have a digital version of it? Hard pass.

I'd rather pay $10-15 a month and get everything, or pay no monthly fee and have to buy every product I want to use digitally again. But rebuying the content and then paying a subscription to access content I own? That's like charging me to open my books.

Why is Wizards terrible at online systems?

ChapolimX

Explorer
Digital D&D is beyond my wallet!
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Can't afford to pay 30 bucks for the books I already own in a format I'm not so sure how much will last. Would have to buy at least 5 of them again. $10 would be a sweet deal (the price of a Pathfinder pdf). $15 would still be tempting...

Will be looking for price cuts in the future, perhaps by the time of 6th edition ....

Remove ads

Remove ads