D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

lkj

Hero
You know, this is an excellent question. If I purchase Curse of Strahd on DnDBeyond, what do I get for my money, beyond merely an electronic version of my book? Having all combats and maps preloaded into a combat tracker would be a LOT of saved effort, especially for those of us graceful and dignified (lazy) enough to run straight from the book, but the website does not yet have a combat tracker. What else, then?

This post from Adam Bradford on their forums gets at this, at least in part:

http://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/d-d...ust-15th-pricing-details-announced?comment=73

So yes, a combat tracker is planned. As well as an encounter builder. And the data from the sourcebook would be integrated.

AD

Lichemaster

Explorer
Once again a stupid direction for PDF's for a company that is the current market leader, I want shares to fall for WotC so they become flexible,I have to purchase a D&D beyond account and/or purchase the PDF only usable on D&D Beyond's platform.
Please everyone don't buy the PDF's so Wotc will wake up?

Once again a stupid direction for PDF's for a company that is the current market leader, I want shares to fall for WotC so they become flexible,I have to purchase a D&D beyond account and/or purchase the PDF only usable on D&D Beyond's platform.
Please everyone don't buy the PDF's so Wotc will wake up?

Firstly, please learn how to use apostrophies. Secondly, they're not PDFs. It's a web app, with interactive and at-the-table functionality. You may or may not find it worthwhile, but calling it a PDF is to misrepresent it.

Lichemaster

Explorer
Firstly, please learn how to use apostrophes. Secondly, they're not PDFs. It's a web app, with interactive and at-the-table functionality. You may or may not find it worthwhile, but calling it a PDF is to misrepresent it.

No I will not use proper grammar and Fixed the spell mistake and No you can't make me call it a web app. It is a way to sell PDF's through a app or site, it is hot garbage.

mjsoctober

Explorer
Unless I've missed something in all the announcements, DDB is not a VTT. Even with an initiative tracker and encounter builder (?) it will not work like ROll20 or Fantasy Grounds where you can have a map that all players can see, tokens to move on the maps, and virtual dice. I get that some people will find this useful, but those of us who have already invested in Roll20 or FG don't really get any benefit from this.

And if you aren't already using Roll20 or FG, consider that you can get what DDB offers and a VTT.

What those of us complaining really want, and would likely be willing to pay for even if we've already bought the books, is an official PDF version of the core books that is NOT locked to an online system, that is bookmarked, has links, and can be used on our PCs, or tablets or phones without a monthly fee or another company in the middle.

Offer me core book PDFs, FREE from online commitment, for $19.99 each, and I'll buy them. Until then I'll use the free version of DBB as a quick SRD, and probably nothing more.

fantasmamore

Explorer
It is a way to sell PDF's through a app or site, it is hot garbage.

PDF stands for Portable Document Format and is a specific file format. D&D Beyond doesn't offer PDFs.
And please show some respect for the work of others. You don't like it, it's ok, don't buy it. Better yet, create something better yourself.

lkj

Hero
Unless I've missed something in all the announcements, DDB is not a VTT. Even with an initiative tracker and encounter builder (?) it will not work like ROll20 or Fantasy Grounds where you can have a map that all players can see, tokens to move on the maps, and virtual dice. I get that some people will find this useful, but those of us who have already invested in Roll20 or FG don't really get any benefit from this.

And if you aren't already using Roll20 or FG, consider that you can get what DDB offers and a VTT.

What those of us complaining really want, and would likely be willing to pay for even if we've already bought the books, is an official PDF version of the core books that is NOT locked to an online system, that is bookmarked, has links, and can be used on our PCs, or tablets or phones without a monthly fee or another company in the middle.

Offer me core book PDFs, FREE form online commitment, for $19.99 each, and I'll buy them. Until then I'll use the free version of DBB as a quick SRD, and probably nothing more.

Note: Developers have said you will eventually be able to export characters to both roll20 and FG

https://twitter.com/DnDBeyond/status/887313634904481794

Which is pretty stellar. As much as I love roll20, creating characters there is a bit kludgey.

Also-- The DDB format is much more user friendly than a pdf. I understand the desire not to be tied to a particular platform. But I kind of think pdf's are becoming a very outmoded way to organize data. It's much faster finding things through the DDB compendium and much easier to digest than even a bookmarked and linked pdf.

This is just my opinion.

AD

Osgood

Adventurer
Roll20 and FG are fine for online play (though I really dislike FG), but that's not what DDB is for. I don't need or want a VTT, and f I did, there are options. DDB is not for those folks, so I see no reason to complain that it it's not a better VTT.
All I've done bet wanted are digital tools that make it easier to run the game at a real table. To that end, I'm very pleased with DDB so far.

Remove ads

Remove ads