D&D 5E Dragon Fire - the Drogon Initiative

Draegn

Explorer
One thing I have contemplated doing was in addition to giving dragons "hot flames" to also give them the option of breathing cool flames as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_flame

A dragon might do this in order to avoid damaging a warriors mastercraft armor so that it can then be added to it's hoard. Since cool flames are difficult to see it allows for a stealthier attack in dark conditions. The "knock" could be used as a stun attack.

Would have the breath weapon do half damage or less be fair in your opinions?

dave2008

Legend
The degree the individual is engulfed in flames is a representation of how many hit points are lost.

I agree, that is why the ongoing damage and other effects only trigger on a failed save.

After that you can imagine however you want. I guess if you go the ongoing damage route then set it for so many rounds and then it is done. What I did not like about 4E ongoing damage was saving each round. Make the book keeping simple.

For me the book keeping issue is potentially worse with your suggestion. If I say the ongoing damage last 5 rounds, then I have to remember to apply the damage for 5 rounds. However, if I only have to take an action and make a check (per an earlier comment it should be a check), that will probably only last one for two rounds for a PC of an appropriate level. That, for me, is much less book keeping.

The issue for ongoing damage from is not whether it is saves or damage or both, but simply remember to remind the players to do it every round. We eventually used tokens as a reminder, but I had already soured on the concept by that point.

dave2008

Legend
One thing I have contemplated doing was in addition to giving dragons "hot flames" to also give them the option of breathing cool flames as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_flame

A dragon might do this in order to avoid damaging a warriors mastercraft armor so that it can then be added to it's hoard. Since cool flames are difficult to see it allows for a stealthier attack in dark conditions. The "knock" could be used as a stun attack.

Would have the breath weapon do half damage or less be fair in your opinions?

Interesting idea. After quickly skimming the link I would suggest a maximum of half damage, maybe less. I definitely wouldn't add the additional effects I describe in the OP

fireandblood.jpg

I've been slowly building up to a dragon battle in my current campaign. But I think rather than changing the attacks of the dragon, I'll adjust the terrain to make the dragon as fearsome as possible. Like you (the OP) I would like my dragon to create a terrifying raging inferno. So what I've been thinking about, is to have the battle take part on an underground petroleum lake. Every time the dragon uses its breathweapon, it literally sets the water on fire. It would give the players a difficult choice between land and water, because diving underwater is literally the best cover against the raging inferno that the dragon will unleash.

I may even implement my earlier suggestion and have the flames spread across the surface with each round. But since the lake will be a mix of water and petroleum, there would probably be a limit to how much of the water is set ablaze with each attack (not every spot on the lake is equally flammable). I may limit the spread to around 3 to 5 tiles to prevent the entire lake from burning up in an instant.

S

Sunseeker

Interesting idea. After quickly skimming the link I would suggest a maximum of half damage, maybe less. I definitely wouldn't add the additional effects I describe in the OP

It's worth noting that most ovens operate around 350F, and anything over 150F is enough to cause burns on human flesh. It's difficult to understand just how hot 750F really is for most people since ya know, it's deadly. A brush fire runs about 370F and a forest fire can run up to 1400F.

Modeling fire in D&D off real-world fire in terms of what it burns is probably foolish. If dragonfire can ignite a tree, it probably burns at well over 800F. To not incinerate a human (regardless of his plate armor) instantly, a dragon is likely firing "cool fire" to begin with. If a dragon were shooting 1000F flames, there really shouldn't even be a reflex save, any human who isn't magically immune to fire would just die. And this is ignoring death by dehydration, death by suffocation, death by the water in your brain boiling (which happens around 250F). Assuming the dragon fires its breath weapon for the majority of its turn ~6 seconds this is, even with cool flames, like sticking your head in a 400F oven for 6 seconds. You'd probably be dead.

Well, I think it all depends on how you assume a dragon's breath weapon works. Is it a flaming fluid that the dragon sprays? Or is it a flammable gas that the dragon ignites?

If it is the former, then that would be like spraying a person with burning gasoline. If it is the latter, the damage is far less (but you could still catch fire). This also affects how easy the fire is to extinguish once you are on fire.

Of course it could also just be a magical effect. But if you imagine that this is a real living creature, then one would assume the creature produces something flammable in its body that it can spew forward. And then the breath weapon might behave differently from the way the D&D rules treat a dragon's breath weapon.

Last edited:

cmad1977

Hero
Might want to think about balancing the effects of dragons breath against the abilities of heroes and not the Lannister mooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave2008

Legend
I've been slowly building up to a dragon battle in my current campaign. But I think rather than changing the attacks of the dragon, I'll adjust the terrain to make the dragon as fearsome as possible. Like you (the OP) I would like my dragon to create a terrifying raging inferno. So what I've been thinking about, is to have the battle take part on an underground petroleum lake. Every time the dragon uses its breathweapon, it literally sets the water on fire. It would give the players a difficult choice between land and water, because diving underwater is literally the best cover against the raging inferno that the dragon will unleash.

I may even implement my earlier suggestion and have the flames spread across the surface with each round. But since the lake will be a mix of water and petroleum, there would probably be a limit to how much of the water is set ablaze with each attack (not every spot on the lake is equally flammable). I may limit the spread to around 3 to 5 tiles to prevent the entire lake from burning up in an instant.

Interesting idea. Personally I like to buff dragons. IMO the MM dragons are a little on the weak side. However, interesting terrain is always a good idea

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
It's worth noting that most ovens operate around 350F, and anything over 150F is enough to cause burns on human flesh. It's difficult to understand just how hot 750F really is for most people since ya know, it's deadly. A brush fire runs about 370F and a forest fire can run up to 1400F.

Modeling fire in D&D off real-world fire in terms of what it burns is probably foolish. If dragonfire can ignite a tree, it probably burns at well over 800F. To not incinerate a human (regardless of his plate armor) instantly, a dragon is likely firing "cool fire" to begin with. If a dragon were shooting 1000F flames, there really shouldn't even be a reflex save, any human who isn't magically immune to fire would just die. And this is ignoring death by dehydration, death by suffocation, death by the water in your brain boiling (which happens around 250F). Assuming the dragon fires its breath weapon for the majority of its turn ~6 seconds this is, even with cool flames, like sticking your head in a 400F oven for 6 seconds. You'd probably be dead.

Agreed. Heat and fire, and our ability to resist them, is a complex issue. It is best to not try to get to literal. Personally I am going for something more cinematic than realistic

Remove ads