D&D 5E Dragon Fire - the Drogon Initiative

dave2008

Legend
Instead of trying to rebalance the direct breath weapon damage with ongoing damage, you could allow the dragon to instantly spend Legendary actions to add a lingering damage effect just before it breathes. In essence, you'd just be shifting its action economy to the breath weapon given comparable expected average damage.

I could get behind something like that. I have always felt it a bit strange as typically dragons are only shown breathing fire (and possible moving) when they use that attack. However, rather then spend legendary actions i would probably simply stat that it can't use legendary actions until the end of its next turn when it breaths fire, or something similar.

S

Sunseeker

As an additional idea, since the D&D dragons are highly intelligent creatures and magic capable, perhaps they could use their breath to simulate spell effects? Much as one can "paint" wall of fire, perhaps a dragon could "breathe" wall of fire, or firestorm or achieve similar spell-like effects with their breath weapon. It would certain add to the danger of a dragon as it's no longer just "watch out for that big blast of bad!" it's "you never know what a dragon is going to shoot out of its mouth!"

dave2008

Legend
As an additional idea, since the D&D dragons are highly intelligent creatures and magic capable, perhaps they could use their breath to simulate spell effects? Much as one can "paint" wall of fire, perhaps a dragon could "breathe" wall of fire, or firestorm or achieve similar spell-like effects with their breath weapon. It would certain add to the danger of a dragon as it's no longer just "watch out for that big blast of bad!" it's "you never know what a dragon is going to shoot out of its mouth!"

:) I like the way you think. Typically I just give my dragons spells, but making part of the breath weapon is an interesting idea.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
If you search for earthdawn dragons, then you'll get an unpublished book that has some ideas for dragons in that setting. Earthdawn dragon breath, for instance, has a range up to 600 feet and burns until either you make a will save against it, dispel it or the dragon chooses to put it out, the idea being that it's more magic than mere flame. Dragons have to expend strain (effectively hit points) to breathe though. There's a bunch of other ideas for how dragons have refined their breath weapons to acheive interesting affects.

CapnZapp

Legend
Not typical D&D, but I already stated (in the OP I think) that this approach is not really in line with the tenants of 5e.
Okay then, as they would say in Minnesota.

You certainly know what you're doing, at least. Feel free to consider my comment directed at the learning audience, maestro.

Cheers :)

CapnZapp

Legend
I believe you could accomplish this without too much rules fudge.

5E already allows for spellcasting dragons (spells of a level up to a third of the dragon's Challenge Rating, which for Ancients will not be a problem).

Then you just say "Drogon's using Quicken Metamagic" to cast and breathe at the same time, and you're done :)

You could also make a difference between being in the line of fire, and being at the point of impact of the breath weapon. The latter could deal bonus damage.

Flames could also spread outward each round from the original tiles that were hit. At a speed of 1 tile (5 ft.) per round, up to a maximum determined by you. But if they are in an open field, the fire would probably keep spreading. I would focus less on making the damage of being on fire really high (just keep it at the normal 1d10 per round) and more on just engulfing an area, leaving very little safe spots where they aren't set on fire. I would always try to keep as much of the original rules intact, if only for the sake of consistency.

Then you just say "Drogon's using Quicken Metamagic" to cast and breathe at the same time, and you're done :)

Even that is over complicating things. Just state that a dragon can move its breathweapon while it is spitting fire (up to a 180 arc around itself), and any of the tiles hit are also set on fire.

Consequently, I'm sure you can see why I'd have a very strong aversion to rape in my entertainment.

I don't think anyone needs to give a reason to why they have a strong aversion to rape. I would assume thats a given. But the show doesn't actually feature it all that much come to think of it. I remember only 3 outright cases, and one attempt across all the seasons. Given that the show is portraying medieval times, thats probably pretty moderate. The show actually has far less of it than the books (because the books outright say that the Ironborn engage in it on a regular basis, its one of their favourite hobbies). But there were some scenes that were shown in the show, that were more consensual in the books. Jamie and Cersei in the Septon of Balor for example, or Dany and Drogo in season 1. But the show also features a lot of torture, which I find even more unpleasant to watch, truth be told.

Of course we all choose what shows we prefer want to watch. There's plenty of crime shows that I never watch, because I hate drug culture and organized crime stuff, even though some of them are probably great shows, but I just don't like the theme.

I'm sorry you had the D&D experience that you did. One of the core things my group has always done at the start of every new campaign, is to establish some clear rules regarding what is and what is not off limits. Will there be mature content? If so, do we just fade to black, or describe what happens? Does anyone have objections to certain themes? I remember the Book of Vile Darkness for 3.5 warned its readers that a lot of the stuff in the books was probably not for everyone. Its one of the few times I've seen D&D get really dark. So this is perhaps a good warning for all players out there (old and new), be sure to communicate what themes you do and do not want to see in the campaign you are playing, before you start playing. If the campaign is more along the lines of Game of Thrones, is everyone on board with that, or are there objections? Be sure that no one feels uncomfortable with certain themes in the campaign. Specifically when it comes to themes of rape, torture, but also religion.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Could we please focus the GoT discussion to dragonfire?

The sub-thread on the show's depiction of rape is especially unwelcome in this thread, I'm sure. Please continue that discussion elsewhere. Thank you.

dave2008

Legend
Even that is over complicating things. Just state that a dragon can move its breathweapon while it is spitting fire (up to a 180 arc around itself), and any of the tiles hit are also set on fire..

I like that approach. I had previously thought it was overkill, but hell, might as well go whole hog!

dave2008

Legend
If you search for earthdawn dragons, then you'll get an unpublished book that has some ideas for dragons in that setting. Earthdawn dragon breath, for instance, has a range up to 600 feet and burns until either you make a will save against it, dispel it or the dragon chooses to put it out, the idea being that it's more magic than mere flame. Dragons have to expend strain (effectively hit points) to breathe though. There's a bunch of other ideas for how dragons have refined their breath weapons to acheive interesting affects.

Thank you, i will check it out.

Remove ads