One Shots - Discussions

hafrogman

Adventurer
Yeah, I could see it working either way, either divided up by some clear defined factor:

Non Casters (Barbarian, Fighter*, Monk, Rogue*)
Half Casters (Eldritch Knight, Paladin, Ranger, Arcane Trickster, Warlock)
Full Casters (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard)

This could be a little strange as a character might be a half-caster before they've technically made that choice. But mostly it gets away from what I think is your goal, just making sure that you don't end up with the same person always playing the meatshield, skill-monkey, caster, etc.

Group D could work too, you could still have three characters (no more than one from any group), but it might be easiest or best to just make it a conceptual agreement thing between the players and the DM. Hard code in certain limits (no more than one of the same background, no more than one of the same class, no more than one of the same race [except perhaps human?]) and then ask the players to submit characters to fill three different 'roles', but leave the roles themselves more fuzzy.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Liking those breakdowns. What do you think of having group D being the "breaking the mold" character?

Group A: Barabarian, Fighter, Monk, Rogue
Group B: Paladin, Ranger, Warlock,
Group C: Druid, Cleric, Sorcerer, Wizard, Bard
Group D: Outside the normal fit - or a class that breaks it's usual mold

So a player could have
A: Fighter (Battle Master)
B: Ranger (Hunter)
C: Bard (College of Lore)
D: Fighter (Eldritch Knight)

This would be a player who likes combat style characters (HP/AC) over full casters, but would still get to play with some spells. Also the break the mold character would probably be the one with all allowable races, just to help start the breaking of molds.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Personal opinion: unless you have a specific adventure in mind for the oddballs, I wouldn't link group D to the extra races, so as to spread the oddballs out more.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Wait if group D is whatever you wish doesn't that spread out the monster races. Group D would be for things like up coming approved classes (Artificer comes to mind) and the spot where you ask the DM can I play a gensai? or use a feat from this module? etc.

Updated brew:
-System 5e
-Player has portfolio of three characters.
-Character A is either: Fighter, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue
-Character B is either: Ranger, Paladin, Bard, Warlock
-Character C is either: Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard

Races: from the PHB
Abilities would be Point buy @ 29pts
HP: Max @ 1st lv - average after that
Max starting gold for class (i.e. a monk would have 20gp, a bard would have 200gp to spend)
Backgrounds - 2 backgrounds should be from the PHB the third may be PHB or SCAG

Then there is Group D:

Race: PHB or chose from list
Aasimar: Protector, Scourge, Fallen (DMG (base only), VOLO)
Deep Gnome/Svirfneblin (EE, SCAG)
Dwarf: Duergar (SCAG)
Firbolg (VOLO)
Genasi (PotA, EE)
Goblin (VOLO)
Goliath (EE, VOLO)
Halfling: Ghostwise (SCAG)
Half-Elf: Variant (SCAG)
Hobgoblin (VOLO)
Kenku (VOLO)
Kobold (VOLO)
Lizardfolk (VOLO)
Orc (VOLO)
Tabaxi (VOLO)
Tiefling: Variant (other than Winged) (SCAG)
Triton (VOLO)

Class: Any - discussed with DM other players for balance
Abilities: Array - 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
HP: Max @ lvl 1 - average after that
Starting Equipment based of quick build for class/background
Background: PHB
Special: Feats, equipment, and such open to discussion, so this character could just be a regular human fighter but the feats are out of some new book or something which makes him fit into Group D

I think we may be getting there. So much closer than before thanks hafrogman

hafrogman

Adventurer
Wait if group D is whatever you wish doesn't that spread out the monster races.
Well, my thinking was more that D would become more concentrated with oddities. So you'll be more likely to see a Kenku Kensai or a Hobgoblin Artificer (multiple exceptions in a single character) because they can't be in the other groups. But I was also misunderstanding a little of what you were going for with group D being less "Doesn't fit in a specific role" and more "Minor rules exceptions". With regards to the other limits on group D, I'd personally request that you keep the same starting gold rule for all characters. My hobgoblin wizard gets armor and weapon proficiencies, but no armor or weapons in his standard packages you see. =D
I think we may be getting there. So much closer than before thanks hafrogman
Glad to help / brainstorm. Something to occupy my mind with.

EarlyBird

Explorer
How does a hobgoblin wizard get armor prof?

Yes group D would be the anything goes. (Well almost anything)

Tried to keep Group D unappealing, you know us DMs not wanting to much crazyness out there. I think I still have backlash from Book of 9 Swords perhaps

hafrogman

Adventurer
How does a hobgoblin wizard get armor prof?
Racial feature to represent their military background.
Tried to keep Group D unappealing, you know us DMs not wanting to much crazyness out there. I think I still have backlash from Book of 9 Swords perhaps
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing in general concept. But if everyone's going to have a D, then there's no appealing/unappealing, we all have to have one. Unless it's three characters A, B, C replace any one with D? But I do feel the lower attributes are sufficient price for the freedom, especially if every player as a D.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Racial feature to represent their military background.

Oh i.c. I don't know overly much about the monster races as of yet.
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing in general concept. But if everyone's going to have a D, then there's no appealing/unappealing, we all have to have one. Unless it's three characters A, B, C replace any one with D? But I do feel the lower attributes are sufficient price for the freedom, especially if every player as a D.

Right then want everyone to start around the same. I think everyone need not make all 4 character types to start. I wouldn't want to wait till I had 4-5 players all with 4 characters each to start playing the low level parts. The Groups would be a maximum of what they can make.

If I were to post a naval adventure and someone was waiting around for something like that, they could then sign up to the One Shot madness, with just the "Shark Rider" they have been dying to make. (haha)

So only change is the starting gold for Group D and you think we are set?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I think everyone should start at lvl 1 as the xp need to reach lvl 3 is only 900, can get through that in one um.. one shot. The thing I want is to give players the ability to make any character they wish, and when the adventure comes around that fits they are ready.

It could also be for characters trying different builds. Use this portfolio and these characters to try something you wouldn't risk in a long term campaign.

Thanks for the invite I may drop in.

Suppose you'll want the link LOL

https://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38563

Remove ads