D&D 5E [ToA] Chult-appropriate reincarnation table

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm not sure but I think we're up to about fourteen entries.

As far as distribution goes, the PHB table is clearly not representative, so it seems okay to include rather rare races with a multi percentage entry here too.

I'll see what I can do once I get to desktop 👍

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Quartz

Hero
I would not use Yuan Ti due to the unfortunate associations; if you want a snake-man or snake-woman, you could use the Ophidian instead. There are also Tasloi and Grippli. For a more exotic creature you might try a Hybsil.

Why yes, I do have MM2 in front of me. :)

CapnZapp

Legend
I would not use Yuan Ti due to the unfortunate associations; if you want a snake-man or snake-woman, you could use the Ophidian instead.
What unfortunate associations?

(A honest question - since we're discussing reincarnation in a newly created body, any "halforcs are the product of rape"-style discussions doesn't apply. Or am I catastrophically misunderstanding what you mean by "unfortunate"?)

CapnZapp

Legend
The lore of yuan-ti is seriously nasty.
Just because most members of a race are evil doesn't mean a player character needs to be.

If you were to argue a yuan-to is too powerful a racial choice that would be something. But how does a yuan-ti differ fundamentally from lizardmen, batiri or pterafolk, in your opinion?

Perhaps I should add that I wouldn't mind a Gnoll entry, despite how their 5E lore describes them as inherently fiendish. Otherwise we couldn't have hero tieflings etc...

Croesus

Adventurer
I would not use Yuan Ti due to the unfortunate associations; if you want a snake-man or snake-woman, you could use the Ophidian instead. There are also Tasloi and Grippli. For a more exotic creature you might try a Hybsil.

Why yes, I do have MM2 in front of me. :)

Yeah, this touches on another thread discussing whether campaigns should have restrictions on classes and races. If a character can be a yuan-ti - especially, if it's not by choice - then the GM has to address how such characters are treated by the inhabitants of the world. If yuan-ti are known as evil slavers who sacrifice captives to their gods...well, a yuan-ti wandering into a town or village is likely to prompt an armed response. They are unlikely to be welcome in the local tavern and stores. Some players can handle such situations, but many would be frustrated by it. Oftentimes the GM has to handwave the whole issue, which breaks verisimilitude.

I have a player whose first character is a drow rogue. She loves that character. But it's been a difficult balancing act, as drow are not exactly warm and fuzzy in my world. Sometimes it affects the party vis-à-vis NPCs, sometimes I handwave it. Playing a character race against type has more than mechanical impacts.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases