D&D 5E [ToA] Chult-appropriate reincarnation table

CapnZapp

Legend
It's a bit random. It could just as easily be Shadar-Kia if you are simply pulling races from different planes of existence.
I think you'll agree that wild elves are a tad bit more natural to a barbaric jungle setting than frikkin shadar-kai (even if you believe this newfangled idea that they're elves ;))

Or why not include every race ever?
Because the PHB reinc table does not include every race ever? :)

As for sentient, it may or may not matter. In 5e the Reincarnate spell, as written, only returns the character as a sentient playable race, but you could house-rule otherwise. In my 1st edition game a long time ago a character was reincarnated as a badger (I made them anthropomorphic).
If I was worried about rules as written I would have hardly included plant creatures at all, since the spell only operates on humanoids :)

Obviously a sentient plant creature is easily included. A player character vegepygmy is to me no more of a stretch than an "awakened shrub" :)

I think you'll agree that wild elves are a tad bit more natural to a barbaric jungle setting than frikkin shadar-kai (even if you believe this newfangled idea that they're elves ;))

Because the PHB reinc table does not include every race ever? :)

If I was worried about rules as written I would have hardly included plant creatures at all, since the spell only operates on humanoids :)

Obviously a sentient plant creature is easily included. A player character vegepygmy is to me no more of a stretch than an "awakened shrub" :)

Even in Greyhawk, Grugach are not "jungle elves". Not everything barbarous lives in the jungle. I was under the impression the table was for "native to Chult" not "might possibly be found in a jungle". But it's your table, put whatever you like on it.

CapnZapp

Legend
Even in Greyhawk, Grugach are not "jungle elves". Not everything barbarous lives in the jungle. I was under the impression the table was for "native to Chult" not "might possibly be found in a jungle". But it's your table, put whatever you like on it.
My rationale is that I don't want to remove elves from the table.

Since regular elves doesn't exist on Chult, I selected an appropriate substitution.

If you feel shadar-kai or any other elf subrace is even more appropriate, I'm willing to listen. There certainly are lots of elf subraces

Wood elf is not on the table, though. Including them would feel like no change compared to your usual Sword Coast reincarnation...

(Same rationale for Halflings)

There are elves living in Chult, they are just a non-native species. You could include something like 35-42: roll on the standard table in the PHB.

CapnZapp

Legend
Pulling from the FR wiki:
Ptera-men (flying, shapeshifting dino-men, probably just reskinned Aaracokkra)
Humans
Goblins
Bullywugs
Crabmen
Ptera-men was in, but mostly went out again (since somebody pointed out they're large). The flying human niche is adequately served by aarakocra anyway.

Bullywugs - I think I'm good; Grungs fill the frog niche already.

Crabmen - hmm... the reason I didn't include Aldani was because their description makes them out to be incredibly rare.

But I do need a replacement for the Halfling entry. Now that elves are replaced by "roll on regular PHB table" that takes care of every such race, including halflings.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Personally, I would only include races with published playable subrace stats, which I think eliminates grung and firenewts.
We've discussed the grung, and "One Grung Above" is good enough for me. (I really love these cute little toy frogs :)

If anyone's got a good attempt at whipping up Firenewt racial stats, that'd be good. Fire immunity is a must, and that is really good.

CapnZapp

Legend
Okay, with these latest revision we're getting close to finalizing the list, so I thought it was time to properly alphabetize the list.

The latest changes include splitting up the Halfling entry into three, for three very rare races (Aldani, Eblis, Pterafolk). Kobold grabs two percentages so that these three races remain improbable at 2% each.

Chult Reincarnation

d100 - Race:
1 4 Aarakocra
5 6 Aldani
7 14 Dwarf, albino
15 16 Eblis
17 20 Firenewt
21 28 Goblin, Batiri
29 37 Grung, red or orange*
38 57 Human, Chult
58 63 Kobold
64 72 Lizardman
73 80 non-native (roll on PHB table)
81 82 Pterafolk
83 88 Tabaxi
89 92 Tortle
93 96 Vegepygmy
97 100 Yuan-ti, Pureblood
*) red caste for spellcasters, orange for warriors (everybody else)

Remove ads