D&D 5E [ToA] Chult-appropriate reincarnation table

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Pulling from the FR wiki:
Ptera-men (flying, shapeshifting dino-men, probably just reskinned Aaracokkra)
Humans
Goblins
Bullywugs
Crabmen

BULLYWUG!

Sorry, back in AD&D 2ed we played a monster campaign once, and when my centaur philosopher was killed, he was reincarnated as a bullywug. Ah, what memories.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
[MENTION=35019]Croesus[/MENTION], I agree that many races will have social and cultural impacts as well. but that's specifically one of the joys of Reincarnate vs. the normal - the chance to play the outsider.

CapnZapp

Legend
Casting Reincarnation
When casting the Reincarnate spell in Chult, replace the PHB table for the following:

d100 - Race:
01-04 Aarakocra
05-13 Lizardman
14-21 Dwarf
22-25 Pterafolk
26-34 Grung
35-42 Elf
43-46 Vegepygmy
47-52 Tabaxi
53-56 Firenewt
57-60 Kobold
61-68 Halfling
69-76 Goblin
77-96 Human
97-00 Yuan-ti
N.B. Sub-races are not specified.

As you can see, I have kept the "iconic four" races, despite elves and halflings not being mentioned as common in Chult. I'm open to feedback, though. Any changes I should consider?

CapnZapp

Legend
Bumping this thread to report back with my current reincarnation table:

Chult Reincarnation

d100 - Race:
01-04 Aarakocra
05-13 Lizardman
14-21 Dwarf, albino
22-25 Pterafolk
26-34 Grung, red or orange caste*
35-42 Elf, Wild (Grugach)
43-46 Vegepygmy
47-52 Tabaxi
53-56 Firenewt
57-60 Kobold
61-68 Halfling, Ghostwise
69-76 Goblin, Batiri
77-96 Human, Chultian
97-00 Yuan-ti, Pureblood
*) red caste for spellcasters, orange for warriors (everybody else)
Design Note: this assumes the Druid is a party member (=the reincarnated character is not low level). Feel free to reincarnate a low-level character as a green Grung (say, if they find a friendly NPC Druid).

(also edited into first post for any new readers)

Comments? Suggestions? Changes?

You missed off Tyrannosaurus Rex!

Okay, seriously:

I wouldn't include Pterafolk on the list: They are large, and 5e doesn't normally allow large player characters.

Grugach elves are specific to Greyhawk, they aren't found in Chult. Replace with wood elf.

The text on Vegepygmies implies the are not truly sentient, and only operate on an instinctual level.

Personally, I would only include races with published playable subrace stats, which I think eliminates grung and firenewts.

Tortles should be included.

CapnZapp

Legend
I wouldn't include Pterafolk on the list: They are large, and 5e doesn't normally allow large player characters.

The text on Vegepygmies implies the are not truly sentient, and only operate on an instinctual level.

Personally, I would only include races with published playable subrace stats, which I think eliminates grung and firenewts.

Tortles should be included.
Okay, I can switch out Pterafolk for Tortles.

It's rather easy to make up racial traits, and besides, I have unofficial Grung stats from WotC?

Vegepygmies not sentient - so? How does that stop a player character...?

It's a bit random. It could just as easily be Shadar-Kia if you are simply pulling races from different planes of existence. Or why not include every race ever?

As for sentient, it may or may not matter. In 5e the Reincarnate spell, as written, only returns the character as a sentient playable race, but you could house-rule otherwise. In my 1st edition game a long time ago a character was reincarnated as a badger (I made them anthropomorphic).

Last edited:

Remove ads