[FFD20] Let's Mass our Forces, and Rebuild our Power

XERO HOUR

First Post
yeah i guess my idea 4 a template was kinda stupid hehe .

another thing armour is also diffirent in finalfantisy than in most d20 systems in d2o armour causses your opponent too miss or somthing of that nature (the armor class stuff) , but in final fantasy armor reduces damage

Xiryc

First Post
Red Mage: Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Same as PHB Rogue. Skills: 4 + Int, Cross between Rogue and Wizard skill lists. Class Abilities: Lower level White/Black Mage abilities, mixed with maybe an ability that reduces arcane spell failure, plus a couple bonus feats from a special list.

Drake Masters

First Post
Red Mage

Personally, I think that the red mage should have more than just the rogue weapon proficiencies, maybe like the bards, they get all of the weapon proficiencies, and then can choose another weapon, ( I believe it was either rapier or longsword, I don't play many bards.) As far as armour goes, I agree, Light armour, not much more.

drothgery

First Post
creamsteak said:
Other spells will be hand tailored. I'm against numbers though, fire 1 and such... I say we steal the names from the Final Fantasy 8 spells.

I'm not a big fan of the Spell/Spella/Spellaga naming convention, as it seems pretty meaningless in English, so I'd vote for 3.5-izing things and just going with something like Lesser Fire, Fire, and Greater Fire.

Creamsteak

Explorer
XERO HOUR said:
yeah i guess my idea 4 a template was kinda stupid hehe .

another thing armour is also diffirent in finalfantisy than in most d20 systems in d2o armour causses your opponent too miss or somthing of that nature (the armor class stuff) , but in final fantasy armor reduces damage

DnD style armor. Damage reduction isn't as mechanically sound in a system where damage is calculated with much lower numbers.

Creamsteak

Explorer
drothgery said:

I'm not a big fan of the Spell/Spella/Spellaga naming convention, as it seems pretty meaningless in English, so I'd vote for 3.5-izing things and just going with something like Lesser Fire, Fire, and Greater Fire.

I'd agree with this, wouldn't bother me at all.

Pengin

First Post
Core Classes...

I'm ready and willing to help you work on the core classes and will thus offer to take one of the slots for core classes. Should you need me elsewhere, however, I'm ready to do just about anything. I'm a little whore like that.

Anyway, as for my friends the Bards:

Bard (Edgar, FF4)
Base Attack Bonus: Bad
Fortitude Save: Bad
Reflex Save: Good
Will Save: Bad

I think you meant Gilbert/Edward, not Edgar, but I'm not going to split hairs.

Bards have always been a personal favorite of mine regardless of game system, though bards usually seem to get the short end of the stick in most games. They're quirky and fun but most of the time not very good (dear God, just look at Gilbert.) It is my opinion that all classes must be equally good so that 1) they are equally appealing and 2) all the players will feel their characters are useful. I know this is a preliminary listing but it looks to me like you're planning on giving Bards some awesome abilities because otherwise their saves and BAB aren't so great. It'll be really difficult to say how any of these save/BAB schemes fit until we have skills and abilities figured out.

So I come to my point, we need to really settle on the core classes and start working on one or two so we have a baseline of power to compare all of the classes to. We can use the stuff from the PHB as a baseline for now but I think it would help to have a baseline in our own little system.

I must say I'm in favor of new classes rather than leeching directly from D&D. We may have a class very close to wizard or fighter but nothing dead on. D&D is vanilla so it'll be easy to fit into most worlds. We know what world we're dealing with; let's flesh it out that way.

So far we've seen a few suggestions for class progression:

1) D&D classes with Final Fantasy PrCs
2) Final Fantasy core classes with additional PrCs
3) Core classes with different branches. (Eg: Warrior can be a swordsman or archer. Wizard can go black or white.)

I kind of like a mixture of the second and third. We'd have FF-esque core classes with PrCs for the more weird world specific stuff (SOLDIER, Magitech Knight, Paladin, ect.)

That being said, here's my take on the Core Class list.

Bard
Berzerker
Black Mage
Chemist
Dragoon
Geomancer
Knight
Monk
Red Mage
Thief
White Mage

These all look really good, though I worry about overlap in the Dragoon and Knight abilities. Unless you plan on letting Knights branch off into bows I'd also suggest Archer. Geomancer is...odd. It could work as a Monk PrC or it's own class. That's more a personal style choice, I suppose.

Dark Knight
Paladin

These seem like PrCs for the Knight, one of the two paths a Knight might take.

In the case my suggestions were taken there would be 12 core classes (if you include an archer class.) I believe standard D&D has 11. So I think we're off to a good start.

So should some of us start making classes?

-Karl

Pengin

First Post
Heh, just realized there was a second page so some of my comments are a little late....

Anyway, the Fighter looks pretty basic, like the D&D Fighter, which I think as good (since that's just a good basic class all around.) You can easily go archer or swordsman. It's a little bland, of course, but makes up with the fact it's a really solid class.

-Karl

Creamsteak

Explorer
Pengin, I like you.

I agree with your 12 classes as a basis to start with. My intentions with the Dragoon are to make it significantly different, and Paladin/Dark Knight can at the very least be set off to the side.

I'll try doing some .doc versions of different classes in the coming days. Not that I don't mind making pdf files, but it's harder to edit pdfs, despite thier printer friendliness and readability.

Jeff_M_Stone

First Post
I think it should be a system like in FF1, where you learned spells permanently or in FF9 where you learned spells from your weapons/items

Remove ads