[FFD20] Let's Mass our Forces, and Rebuild our Power

Creamsteak

Explorer
I can't post the version with any pictures attached, because it remains 5.4 megs. I can't post the version with the pictures as a pdf because for some reason the watermarks lay over the text in that format, though it would reduce it to 800k.

So, instead, I have to try and post the blank pdf version which is only 300+k. This is an old version of the FFT work that might be more useful to this thread.

I'll try and catch up on everything above soon.

Jeff_M_Stone

First Post
yeah, seriously, Red mage was way too weak in your core classes. A red mage should be a jack of all trades, but a master of none, so I'd say average for all of those, and maybe a d6 hit dice

DimTye

First Post
Normally I'd agree with you, but if you gave the Red Mage an Average for all saves and a larger hit die, why would you ever go for anything else?

I just want to have the core classes balanced. I think you're right on the hit die, though. I'll increase it to d6.

I'm still not sure about the saves. Suggestions?

If no one minds, I'll volunteer to do the Blue Mage PrC, and then some more stuff when I'm done with that.

What I'm suggesting is something similar to a sorcerer, where they have a Monster Abilities Known chart (Affected by Int) and either a spells per day chart or something like MP to use its abilities. What I'm thinking is that the Blue Magic abilities they emulate are basically the Supernatural abilities of monsters-I'll just design a rule of thumb system to determine the approximate level of the abilities for this, and do a quick chart with all the abilities in the MM and any FF monsters we have and list out the appropriate levels.

They can spend an action to observe a monster in the round, and if the monster uses a Su ability, the Blue Mage can make a Will save (?Might change?-perhaps d20+Int+Blue Mage level) vs. the DC of the ability in question (Usually 10+1/2 HD+Con or Cha).

The Blue Mage would probably cast it weaker, let's say that since he casts them as spells, all of the abilities gain SR: Yes (to put it in basic terms).

Um, how does that sound?

drothgery

First Post
drothgery said:
Well, here's what I've got for the mages, in very early form; all I've got for spells right now are the elemental attack spells and the cure spells.

http://home.san.rr.com/drothgery/ff_magic_users.doc

FYI - At this point, the above document has a quasi-complete implementation (all of the FFIV white and black spells have write-ups, unless there was a nearly identical D&D 3.5 spell, and some FFVI spells have been added) of the White Mage, Black Mage, Red Mage, and the Paladin as a PrC.

Jeff_M_Stone

First Post
DimTye said:
Normally I'd agree with you, but if you gave the Red Mage an Average for all saves and a larger hit die, why would you ever go for anything else?
I'm sure there are people who would not go for it.
A Red Mage isn't supposed to be strong in all aspects. He's supposed to be average Some people prefer to have a more focused character. Giving an average to his saves is pretty fair I believe. Like I said before, a red mage is a Jack of all trades, but a master of none.

drothgery

First Post
Jeff_M_Stone said:

I'm sure there are people who would not go for it.
A Red Mage isn't supposed to be strong in all aspects. He's supposed to be average Some people prefer to have a more focused character. Giving an average to his saves is pretty fair I believe. Like I said before, a red mage is a Jack of all trades, but a master of none.

I'd kind of disagree. A Red Mage is supposed to excel at having a diverse set of magical skills, and be a little bit tougher than the White and Black mages. But they're not supposed to be skill fiends (that's the Rogue or Rogue-equilavent's role) or better than adequate in melee combat. A Bard (or a Cleric, for that matter) might think about doing something other than casting spells. A Ranger, Paladin, or Psychic Warrior would rarely think about casting a spell. But a Red Mage will only do something other than cast a spell in a fight if he's really desperate.

drothgery

First Post
One thing that will need to figure out at some point.

Are Ninjas spellcasters? Edge in FFIV was, but Yang wasn't, and if Ninja magic shows up in another FF, it's one I haven't played or haven't played much (I, II, III, V, or Tactics).

Are Dragoons? Freya was a caster in FFIX, but Kain in FFIV wasn't.

Remove ads