D&D 5E D&D 5e Indiana Jones

imdeadagain

Explorer
I've gone a little silly in my interpretation, say hello to Glasgow Smith, goblin bard/rogue archeologist, plays the bagpipes into battle, has an eyepatch (that he doesn't need, takes it off for reading), wears a studded leather kilt with a sporran made from a rabbits head.

He was kicked out of his tribe for being, well, unhinged.. Thinks he's an archeologist, has a whip, hand crossbow and fedora, but tends to break valuable ancient artifacts.

I'm still debating wether to go the whole Scottish accent thing, could be fun.

Oh, and he's scared of snakes, naturally.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Elon Tusk

Explorer
I'm the guy who thinks Indy could use a few levels of Monk for his fisticuffs and unarmored AC. Basic ki usage like disengage or dash and dodge as well as increased movement (he books from people chasing him all the time).

If you REALLY want to, I guess you could take Sun Soul monk from SCAG and just reskin the radiant sun bolts as pistol shots. But rogue seems better than more monk levels.

There's been talk about variant human, if not needed for Tavern Brawler due to monk I think the Dungeon Delver feat is a great fit for Indy.

Yeah, dungeon delver was one I thought about and forgot to mention.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Not sure why with the monk. Indy is often getting the snot kicked out of him. Better adventurer than fighter. Sure he CAN fight, but not any better than most of his opponents.

Indy does things like leap to a moving truck and then serially fights everyone on it, eventually winning. Now, he often wins through his wits, but he can hold his own against people who know how to fight. Think about how long he fought the big brute in Raiders - he couldn't defeat him (until he got the guy to stand where his head would be chopped up), but he had a high enough unarmored AC to survive that long.

I think that's it - Indy can fight against people who know how to fight unarmed and handily beat up a single guard to steal his uniform.

Most D&D characters fight unarmed like the fist fight from Bridget Jones's Diary. It was a great cinematic fist fight - it was two people who knew nothing about how to fight going at it. Well, most D&D characters are doing 1 HP of damage if they hit against dozens of HPs - they just suck at it. Indy though can knock out a mook quickly and quietly.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Indy does things like leap to a moving truck and then serially fights everyone on it, eventually winning. Now, he often wins through his wits, but he can hold his own against people who know how to fight. Think about how long he fought the big brute in Raiders - he couldn't defeat him (until he got the guy to stand where his head would be chopped up), but he had a high enough unarmored AC to survive that long.

I think that's it - Indy can fight against people who know how to fight unarmed and handily beat up a single guard to steal his uniform.

Most D&D characters fight unarmed like the fist fight from Bridget Jones's Diary. It was a great cinematic fist fight - it was two people who knew nothing about how to fight going at it. Well, most D&D characters are doing 1 HP of damage if they hit against dozens of HPs - they just suck at it. Indy though can knock out a mook quickly and quietly.

Well fair enough. I'd be more inclined to have some mook rules or some surprise round KO type of deal for a PG rated game. But it might be more expedient to just give him a punch worth something than to monkey with rules.

-Brad

Hillsy7

First Post
Except Indy often hires a local guide to get him to the location he knows about.
Indy's the one that knows the temple or ruins and how to get past traps.
At least that's how I see him - the guy in the field that knows about the ancient architecture and artifacts, not necessarily the wilderness trekker with knowledge of its fauna and flora.

Well yes. If you strip away the flavour of a Ranger, it boils down to "The guy who knows everything about a place or environment to survive". In this case, Indy would probably have Natural Explorer: 'Trap filled death dungeon', and thereby gets all the bonuses to perception, history, nature, investigation and so on that would enable him to survive significantly better than anyone else. Favoured Enemy might be a tricky one.....can a Trap be an enemy? Failing that probably humanoid (cultist), or something that folds in with the character flavour for whatever built the death dungeons in the game.....

So yeah, I'll stand by Indy as a Ranger with dungeon/cave as favoured terrain.....Plus I think he's definitely a heavy martial Strength character, so the d10 and fighting style of a ranger fits too

Li Shenron

Legend
I'll be playing in a Tomb of Annihilation game and I'd like to play a D&D 5e Indiana Jones (with, of course, a sillier take on the name). I'm curious what you think the best build is to see that realized.

- Rogue

- high mental stats

- average physical stats

- no direct combat abilities (focus on avoidance or getting the upper edge with a trick)

- lots and lots of skills incl. knowledge

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
The one key feature missing for an Indy build is Lucky. This is integral to generating the kinds of lucky breaks the character is famous for.

Lehrbuch

First Post
I'll be playing in a Tomb of Annihilation game and I'd like to play a D&D 5e Indiana Jones (with, of course, a sillier take on the name). I'm curious what you think the best build is to see that realized...

I would go with Fighter with the Battle-master Archetype. Take some of the tricksier Battle-master manoeuvres; Sweeping Attack, Lunging Attack, Trip Attack all seem to go well with a whip.

Take the Sage background.

Race doesn't matter too much, but I'd probably take Variant Human as your race so that you can take a Feat (if starting at level three) like either Lucky, Dungeon Delver, or possibly Ritual Caster(?).

akr71

Hero
Swashbuckler Rogue with Expertise in History & Athletics (?)
Variant Human with Tavern Brawler feat
Archaeologist background - I don't own ToA yet, but apparently that is a thing

For ability scores, I would invest heavily in INT with DEX & CHA secondary
--> Point Buy S10 D13 C10 I15 W10 Ch13

Oh, and I would ask the DM if I could trade Thieves' Cant for an additional language

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Given the divination spells available to the knowledge cleric, any item he is searching for must have been subject to Nystul's Magic Aura (or something similar).
Or hidden under more-than-6-feet of solid rock; THAT will block divinations. And the guy(s) who hid this Quest Object, knew about that effect when they designed the hiding place.

Remove ads