D&D 5E D&D 5e Indiana Jones

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Indy has at least slightly above average Str and probably proficiency in Athletics. With a dumped Str, you're going to have trouble doing some of the things that he does like outrunning enemies, climbing and/or hanging on to things, jumping across pits, and throwing people out of windows.

As always, its going to be a trade off between mechanical optimisation (Maxing Dex presumably) and sticking with concept (Indy's more balanced mix of physical ability scores.)

I don't see why the DM would call for a Strength check for outrunning enemies. If he uses Chase rules, that's a factor of Constitution which is above average, excepting for any Complications that are rolled that call for a Strength check or save. For climbing, I'll have Second Story Work next level (and anyway, climbing doesn't normally call for Strength checks). Jumping will be an issue but again Second Story Work helps with this, boosting me from 8 feet to 11 feet. If I'm ever forced to make a Strength check, I'll spend Inspiration on it if it's important.

I did take proficiency in Athletics though to help offset the poor Strength.

I don't see why the DM would call for a Strength check for outrunning enemies. If he uses Chase rules, that's a factor of Constitution which is above average, excepting for any Complications that are rolled that call for a Strength check or save. For climbing, I'll have Second Story Work next level (and anyway, climbing doesn't normally call for Strength checks). Jumping will be an issue but again Second Story Work helps with this, boosting me from 8 feet to 11 feet. If I'm ever forced to make a Strength check, I'll spend Inspiration on it if it's important.

I did take proficiency in Athletics though to help offset the poor Strength.
Running fast, jumping, climbing etc are all covered generally under Strength(Athletics). If your DM decides that you need to roll for these activities, they may well ask you for that check.
Second storey work and just the proficiency will help make up the difference I'm sure: you know your DM better.

(Also, the image of a less-athletic, flabbier archaeologist sweating rivers as he tries to heave himself up a rope out of a pit of snakes rather than the relative ease that Indy does it is pretty cool too.)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Running fast, jumping, climbing etc are all covered generally under Strength(Athletics). If your DM decides that you need to roll for these activities, they may well ask you for that check.
Second storey work and just the proficiency will help make up the difference I'm sure: you know your DM better.

I think he and I rule more or less the same way and a Strength check for these activities will be rare enough that Inspiration can make up the shortfall. The only time we'd see a Strength check is when the rules specifically call that out - slippery vertical surfaces in a climb, rough waters during a swim, clearing a low obstacle during a jump, etc. I know some DMs call for Strength checks more frequently, but I don't think that's necessarily a ruling supported by the rules. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

(Also, the image of a less-athletic, flabbier archaeologist sweating rivers as he tries to heave himself up a rope out of a pit of snakes rather than the relative ease that Indy does it is pretty cool too.)

I don't put much stock in what the ability score "means" in terms of simulation. That interpretation always strikes me as rather subjective (see the bazillion threads on Intelligence scores and what it means for the PC). I look instead to likely outcomes in the types of actions for which the character might be known. To the extent I can achieve good outcomes with the use of class features and expenditure of resources regardless of what the ability score is, I wouldn't necessarily equate a Str 8 Indiana Jones with being flabby or whatever. Though that would be a funny take!

Gwaihir

Explorer
I created/ran a 1e adventure decades ago set in Greyhawk where the party accompanied a reknowned archeologist - Furyondy Bones- Across the Hellfurnaces into the sea of dust to excavate the Forgotten City.

He was definately a Fighter/Rogue dual class.

Now though, a few levels Cleric of Olimdamarra? Luck Domain

I think distilled to his core the Character is about Grit and Luck.

"If Adventure has a name it must be Indiana Jones."

DK

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I think people are looking at a non-magic build.
In the films, people don't tend to wear armour due to the time period that they're set in. I can see a fantasy version of Indy using light armour not problem.

Rogue levels (with a bit of tweaking to the SA rules if you haven't already) would explain his ability to sucker-punch guards to take their uniforms easily, but need protracted fight scenes with any non-mook opponents that he can't take unawares.

He is also a bit higher level than most of the people that he fights, so can win a punch-for-punch fight a lot of the time.

Okay, you convinced me.

I wasn't going to post a "You're right" post, just give XP, but then it occurs to me that maybe we all need some more positive "hey, you made good points and changed my mind" posts. So, good job.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
While fighter makes sense given Indy's service in WWII, maybe consider ranger for Favored Enemy: Nazis & Snakes? :)

In this game, the rival adventuring guild are called Yahtzee's and they are affiliated with the Evil Goddess of Luck.

I thought about ranger and might do a couple versions and see which I like better.

Remove ads