New Terminator from Cameron will ignore all but T1 and T2

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sure. And so is “invisible”.

Sure. Nobody has disagreed with that. It’s not really the topic at hand.

But Oscar nominees are *literally* one bookmark. No hyperbole, one actual literal bookmark. The only reason you don’t know who the Oscar nominees are is because you’ve chosen not to look.

That’s the opposite example of what you mean.

Let me clarify: yes, once a film gets an Oscar nod, I will hear of it. One can't help but to.

What I am saying is that before that point, I hear of @50% of them, max on a good year. If a small film gets that nod, that will generally mean either an extension of the run. If it's initial theatrical run is over, it may or may not get a pre-Oscars secondary release based on that nod.

Without that nod? Odds are good I'll never hear of them.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Let me clarify: yes, once a film gets an Oscar nod, I will hear of it. One can't help but to.

What I am saying is that before that point, I hear of @50% of them, max on a good year. If a small film gets that nod, that will generally mean either an extension of the run. If it's initial theatrical run is over, it may or may not get a pre-Oscars secondary release based on that nod.

Without that nod? Odds are good I'll never hear of them.

OK, but whether or not you’ve heard of them, surely you’d agree that their existence supports the proposition that Hollywood does make original movies?

Anyway... behind you! TERMINATOR!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
OK, but whether or not you’ve heard of them, surely you’d agree that their existence supports the proposition that Hollywood does make original movies?

Absolutely! They just let too many of them die on the vine.

Which then goes back into their greenlighting feedback loop as "Movie X was a flop, so we can never do another movie like that again!!!"

When I lived in Austin, I either attended or worked SXSW every year. That mean I go to see all kinds of music and movies, some of which never got the break they needed. At a time when punk/funk ruled with bands like Fishbone, RHCP, and Faith No More, i got to see an unsigned band that should have rivaled their successes. They didn't as a solo act, but eventually became the backup band for Outkast.

Similarly, got to see a film called The Making of...And God Spoke (also released without the first 3 words in the title)- a Spinal Tap-esque mocumentary on the making of an old-school bible epic. Laughed my lungs out, as did most of the people in the cinema. Recommended it to a buddy in Hollywood- one of the few cities that got a screening. He saw it in a virtually empty theater- no advertising- and said it was "therapeutically hilarious". That film probably should have been a hit.

And now for something completely different...

photo_902662_thumb.jpg

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Tangent)
The Oscars need to re-write their admission rules so that showing in two theaters (L.A. / NYC) on the last weekend before the yearly deadline does NOT make your movie qualified for any awards. There should be a minimum number of tickets sold or something. Unless they want to create categories for "Movies with High Technical Ability but No Marketing Whatsoever".

Real)
The presumed T3 replacement movie (T2.5?) could work like this:
An older Terminator appears to teenage John Connor and 'Survivalist' Sarah Connor, not long after the end of T2. He tells the Connors that there has been a constant series of ownership changes around the future time machine. He explains a little of the 'chess game' going on between Older John and Skynet / backup copies. It just so happens that the critical experiments which allow the invention of the time machine are about to be conducted in present time. John of course decides that they have to 'crash the party', much like the earlier trio did with the Skynet chip. So they set off to utterly destroy the physical facilities, and (hopefully) persuade the most knowledgeable technicians to kill themselves heroically. Or maybe the Old Terminator could beat the stuffing out of them, give them concussions and/or brain damage? After the obligatory chase scenes they arrive at the facility - and find that some of the guards are in fact disguised Terminators. The older Terminator hands over a map of the complex, with the time machine hardware clearly marked. The various Terminators are drawn into a multifaceted hunt in the building while the Connors try to sneak around in the confusion. The Connors end up with possession of a McGuffin that is going to take some serious pyrotechnics to destroy utterly - and another Skynet chip with ALL the data in it (lucky for us Skynet is so dumb). We need some spectacular location where the McGuffin can be destroyed once and for all. More chase scenes and pyrotechnics as the Connors and the older Terminator flee a squad of Guard Terminators. All is almost lost at the last minute, but the older Terminator takes out most of their pursuers plus himself. The Connors destroy the McGuffin. To Sarah's surprise and shock, the remaining Terminators disappear - maybe they disintegrate into dust piles? - and she is now wearing a polka-dot dress. The movie ends with her voiceover musing about the pernicious effects of technology for its own sake without a guiding purpose, as the center line of the highway passes into the rear-view mirror of her car.

Jhaelen

First Post
Hmm, reminds me of Ridley Scott ignoring any Alien movies not directed by him, i.e. everything after the first 'Alien' movie.
Before I read about this, I was pretty confused about Prometheus and the Covenant sequel.

Rebooting Terminator probably makes sense, since the storyline has become so convoluted, I could no longer follow it.
It's likely not something that will make me want to watch it in cinema, though. (unlike the Blade Runner sequel!)

For German moviegoers, it's really just one bookmark.
http://www.filmstarts.de/filme-imkino/neu/

For (US/UK mostly) TV shows, I use https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/. It always announces when there are new things appearing in the "inventory", and they color-code new series and new season beginnings, too. Very convenient.

I don't really mind reusing existing franchies, or rebooting them, or creating something new. The important thing is that the individual film is entertaining, and if they can make an entertaining Terminator XIV, do it.

Cameron has made a few nice movies ,I think, so maybe his Terminator 3 wouldn't be a bad idea.

Maybe the general idea that his time, it could be about the time travel machine itself, might have merit. Though conceptually, I don't believe you can stop technological progress for good by killing a particular scientist or destroying one particular prototype. You can only delay things. Which would also explain why Skynet always appears at some point - until they actually think about how they can make a benevolent AI like The Machine from Person of Interest (and maybe the Liquid Metal Teminator from the Sarah Connor Chronicles), they will only get Skynets. Their problem is that of the AI's moral values, not that AI itself exists.

Ryujin

Legend
Well there's one thing that they haven't tried with the Terminator franchise; a movie WITHOUT time travel.

I wonder if Cameron will include "We would like to recognize the works of Harlon Ellison" in the credits?

they should do terminator vs aliens. the whole concept of Hamilton fighting a terminator's seems pointless. Its going to pickup right after 2 storyline but years later? maybe a terminator of her likeness is made to hunt her down?

Remove ads