D&D 5E XGTE Errata

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think it's the reverse of what you think - the real difference between short rest and long rest abilities isn't power level, because that can (and should) be rescaled so that they match. The fundamental difference is that if two abilities are equal, but one is 2/short rest and the other, say, 5-6/day, is that the latter is more suitable for novas - all those uses could occur in a single combat.

The Cavalier's mark could've been 2/short rest, but as written all uses could be in one combat vs a single "boss" monster, which frankly makes it a lot cooler and more useful IMO. Same is true of the Samurai's Fighting Spirit.

I'm not quite following your logic. Let's just throw Battlemaster, Samurai and Cavalier up on the block. We'll assume 3rd level and an 18 strength for all of them (which is really hard to pull off, maybe even impossible, but hey, the dice loved you)

Battlemaster at 3rd level gets a tool prof and 4d8 superiority dice they can use on 3 manuevers per short rest

Cavalier gets a skill, a ribbon mounts ability (ignoring because mounts will always be rare) and their mark. The mark will always give disadvantage to enemies but 4 times per day you can make a bonus action attack, with advantage, and get +1 damage to it, if the enemy attacked someone other than you

Samurai gets a skill, and 3 times per day they can get advantage on their attacks and gain 5 temp hp.

Now, looking at this, who is more likely to get a Nova? They all get 3-4 uses of their ability with zero rests, but a short rest will give the Battlemaster another 4 dice, and if we assume a second rest that gives them another 4 dice. That guy is more likely to have some maneuver dice left to use against the boss than the Cavalier or Samurai are to have their stuff.

Now, maybe you could argue that the Cavalier's mark, since it is constant, having a handful of bonus action attacks could be useful, but they have to be triggered by an enemy attacking an ally, and they compete with other bonus actions like Shield Master, Dual Wielding, Second Wind, ect and the bonus damage is kind of weak until you hit higher levels.

And even if you make that argument for the Cavalier, what can you say about the samurai? Is 15 temp hp over the course of an entire day really that good? You're gaining it in groups of 5 and I think most fights the fighter is likely to take more than 5 damage, so it helps sure, but not a lot, and the advantage seems really good... unless you are playing with flanking, or a bard who casts faerie fire, or a caster uses their familiar to Help you, or use shield master, or any of the plentiful ways of gaining advantage. I'm playing a barbarian, I rarely use Reckless attack and I almost never attack without advantage.

And, maybe we could argue that 15 hp at 3rd level is decently powerful, but it stays at 15 hp until you hit level 10, so is it still worth it at level 8? When the bard takes inspiring leader and gives everyone 13 temp hp a rest anyways?

So, no, I don't think this is so you can Nova more often and it be more cool, because the short rest abilities of the battlemaster are equal if not more powerful than anything these two classes can bring to bear, and their long rest means you are less likely to be able to Nova during a standard adventuring day.

I know I can house rule this, and I definitely plan to, but this is such a strange design decision that I really am trying to understand why it is the way it is before I just change everything back to the way it was.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I've just posted in another thread about the Samurai’s Fighting Spirit. You can also give yourself advantage “until the end of the current turn” (XG 31) and you get temporary hit points. Do the temporary hit points disappear then too? “Unless the feature has a duration, they last until they’re depleted or you finish a long rest” (PHB 198). Well, the feature does, so the temp HPs should disappear at the end of the current turn – not even until the start of your next turn, but before the enemy attacks. This doesn’t seem right (and may need errata).

mellored

Legend
I think Unicorn Spirit is overpowered also under the same logic that the Disciple of Logic/Goodberry combo works ( which I never agreed with personally since eating a goodberry has nothing to do with using a spell ). Goodberry is the spell that keeps on giving. Even if you disagree with the two working together, it really seems to trivialize healing tremendously.
Life boost each time you heal with a spell. Which can be multiple times in a single spell.
Unicorn only heals when you cast a spell. So only only once per goodberry.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I've just posted in another thread about the Samurai’s Fighting Spirit. You can also give yourself advantage “until the end of the current turn” (XG 31) and you get temporary hit points. Do the temporary hit points disappear then too? “Unless the feature has a duration, they last until they’re depleted or you finish a long rest” (PHB 198). Well, the feature does, so the temp HPs should disappear at the end of the current turn – not even until the start of your next turn, but before the enemy attacks. This doesn’t seem right (and may need errata).

The phrasing indicates to me that the temp hp lasts until they are taken away. There is a sentence break making them two separate statements.

Doesn't really help that much, but it is something.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I agree that's probably what's intended. It's the sentence in the PHB (and its use of feature) that messes it up.

Life boost each time you heal with a spell. Which can be multiple times in a single spell.
Unicorn only heals when you cast a spell. So only only once per goodberry.

My PHB ( which may not be current with the wording ) says when you use a spell of first level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2 + the spell's level. I thought casting a spell and using a spell were the same thing. The goodberries in such a scenario would have been created from the single casting of the spell so I don't see why all 10 berries wouldn't benefit from the effect if they were eaten while in the Unicorn aura. Mind you I don't think either Unicorn Aura or Disciple of Life should work with Goodberry since the spell being cast doesn't actually heal anyone but if it functions with one, then it should function with both. Using Goodberry ( as in casting the spell ) never actually heals anyone. It's the illogical ruling that the berry being consumed counts as a spell being used that should also allow for Unicorn Aura to work.

mellored

Legend
My PHB ( which may not be current with the wording ) says when you use a spell of first level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2 + the spell's level. I thought casting a spell and using a spell were the same thing. The goodberries in such a scenario would have been created from the single casting of the spell so I don't see why all 10 berries wouldn't benefit from the effect if they were eaten while in the Unicorn aura. Mind you I don't think either Unicorn Aura or Disciple of Life should work with Goodberry since the spell being cast doesn't actually heal anyone but if it functions with one, then it should function with both. Using Goodberry ( as in casting the spell ) never actually heals anyone. It's the illogical ruling that the berry being consumed counts as a spell being used that should also allow for Unicorn Aura to work.
Sorry if i was confusing.

Life + goodberry = 4 HP per berry. (whether it's intended or not is a different question)
Unicorn + goodberry = 1 HP per berry, +druid level to each other creature.
Life + unicorn + goodbery = 4 HP per berry, +druid level to each other creature.

mellored

Legend
Improved Pact Weapon (p 57):

"You can use any weapon you summon with your Pact of the Blade feature as a spellcasting focus foryour waru lock spells. In addition, the weapon gains a +1 bonus to its attack and damage rolls, unless it is a magic weapon that already has a bonus to those rolls."

Does this give +1 to hit and damage when used as a spell casting focus (eldrich blast)?
And does it alloow Lifedrinker and Eldritch Smite to work with eldritch blast?

mellored

Legend
Recalculated the damage.

A hexblade sharpshooter (with archery style) might be the DPR king, beating even a fighter. Even at level 20.
Assuming hexblade can pre-cast darkness / elemental weapon (with foresight at level 17+).

Last edited:

Remove ads