D&D 5E 'Combo' Spells to increase action economy, bypass cocentration

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Would rather not have to peruse guides to see other people's opinions on spells as to whether or not they can be combined.

I like the Nystul's approach but I'd also include higher level spells to cover some combos.

The signature of champions.

mellored

Legend
I still think anyone advocating a "Nystul approach" needs to explain WHY they're suggesting their new spell.
Becasue it's easy to add on, and comes with an adjustable resource cost. Try it as a level 2 spell, and if it doesn't work, change it to level 3.

Also, i want to set a fireball to explode when someone opens a door. Or hand a disguise self to the rogue. So I like the story options opened the spell orbs open up.

the way to do it is to drop the generic combo idea - that's never gonna be balanced (or horribly underpowered for every combo but the strongest).
I disagree.

CapnZapp

Legend
Would rather not have to peruse guides to see other people's opinions on spells as to whether or not they can be combined.

I like the Nystul's approach but I'd also include higher level spells to cover some combos.

If you are confident in your own ability to do accurate power readings and ability to predict unbalanced combos, go ahead and skip the guides.

The Nystul approach is just a disaster waiting to happen, at least if you have players interested in min-maxing.

Either that, or the spell gets too restrictive and noone will use it.

I get the desire to use that approach, I really do. But it really is hopelessly doomed.

At least in 3e there were lots of ways to stack spells and effects, and so Simbuls Whatever weren't outrageously more overpowered than any other way.

But in 5e you go from a semblance of balance to... pretty much anarchy.

Again, unless you hit your spell so hard with the nerf bat the good combos retain their balance.

But that just leaves all the other combos on the floor, and focuses the game *even more* on best-in-class options only.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
Becasue it's easy to add on, and comes with an adjustable resource cost. Try it as a level 2 spell, and if it doesn't work, change it to level 3.

Also, i want to set a fireball to explode when someone opens a door. Or hand a disguise self to the rogue.
Oh, I completely get why this is attractive. Both from the caster's personal point of view and from the story possibilities.

Thurmas

Explorer
I proposed in another thread regarding concentration, not sure which one (hard to keep them all straight), this:

A simple rule change or new feat: You may concentrate on a second spell spell that requires concentration. You may not cast spells or take the attack action while concentrating on a second spell.

What this allows is what I think the concentration mechanic hurts the most. To allow one buff spell and one utility spell. For example, now a Wizard can keep up a buff spell, such as blur or fly, and a utility spell such as telekinesis or sunbeam. Gets to have a buff effect, as well as a spell that uses his action each turn.

Alternatively, a new spell along these lines:

Thurmas' Combined Spells
Level: 6
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 60'
Components: V, S, M (Spell Casting Focus)
Duration: Concentration, Up to 1 minute

As an additional cost to cast this spell, cast two additional spells whose spell slots add up to 6 or less. You must know these spells, have them prepared and meet the spell requirements. The spell slots for these spells are both used. If either spell requires concentration, you ignore the concentration requirement for that spell. If you lose concentration on this spell, both of the two cast spells also end.

When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the total of two spell slots used may add up to the spell slot expended to cast this spell.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If you are confident in your own ability to do accurate power readings and ability to predict unbalanced combos, go ahead and skip the guides.

The Nystul approach is just a disaster waiting to happen, at least if you have players interested in min-maxing.

Either that, or the spell gets too restrictive and noone will use it.

I get the desire to use that approach, I really do. But it really is hopelessly doomed.

At least in 3e there were lots of ways to stack spells and effects, and so Simbuls Whatever weren't outrageously more overpowered than any other way.

But in 5e you go from a semblance of balance to... pretty much anarchy.

Again, unless you hit your spell so hard with the nerf bat the good combos retain their balance.

But that just leaves all the other combos on the floor, and focuses the game *even more* on best-in-class options only.

Oh I wouldn't limit the players in any way, I'd allow them to choose which ever spells they wish. It's a homebrew spell that needs testing so I'd test it rather than arbitrarily limit it by saying that some spells that otherwise fit the criteria can't be used because I think the combo is too good.

jgsugden

Legend
Lot's of great conversation, but none of it answers the original question:

...What classic combinations of spells (especially those impacted by concentration rules) do people miss seeing in the game that they think could be well served by (combining multiple spells into one)?

Improved Invisibility + Flight
Blur + Expeditious Retreat
????

While the ideas of passing around or duplicating concentration via spells, feats or magic items is interesting, I was really hoping to hear about which spells people used to combine together in earlier editions, but can't in the current edition under the core RAW using only published materials.

jgsugden

Legend
Throw a guy a bone, folks - This thread was created to ask which classic combinations of spells you miss, but can't do in 5E due to concentration rules. Is the answer really just invisibility + flight?

Remove ads