D&D 5E 'Combo' Spells to increase action economy, bypass cocentration

Stalker0

Legend
Name one.

I was asked to name some abuses for the generic nystul spell mentioned.

Well the transfer one allows for “self-only” spells to be given to non casters. Fighters with tensers transformation as one example.

But just for generic concentration relief:

1) paladins combining smites into a supernova.
2) clerics super buffing (bless + shield of faith) is pretty darn strong. And those are just 1sr level spells.
3) wizards spamming banishment, basically the ability to spam a lot of spells they can’t rigut now.

And that is just 1 minute of thought, if I actually go through the books I know there are way stronger combos than these.

The designers designed this spells intentionally so it would be difficult to combo with them. Opening the gates is guaranteed to unleash some hokey combos...there are too many possibilities not too

mellored

Legend
1) paladins combining smites into a supernova.
They can already do that.
Bonus before they kick down the door, then bonus action between their attacks. Plus the smite effect.

Better to keep your spell slot for a divine smite.

2) clerics super buffing (bless + shield of faith) is pretty darn strong. And those are just 1sr level spells.
It's 2 level 1 spells and a level 2 spell.
So 4 spell levels, to cast a weaker greater invisibility.

No one is char-oping teams with 2 clerics in order to stack buffs. (Which is a perfectly RAW way to get around it concentration, just have more casters).

3) wizards spamming banishment, basically the ability to spam a lot of spells they can’t rigut now.
You only get 3 level 4 slots. 1 spent on the orb.
So that's 1 battle of double banishment, and your out for the day.

No one's complaining about sorcerer's spamming banishment.

Actually, it's pretty much exactly on par with twinned metamagic. Trade a level 4 slot for 4 SP, to twin banishment. Though without the action economy.

mellored

Legend
That just lets casters go even more nova on low encounter days. Anything that lets them spend more resources faster is always a balance fail IMO.
That's a somewhat fair point.

But I still really want my players to kill an evil cleric and find a spell orb of cure wounds.
Or have the fighter stop at the local wizards guid to buy a fly spell.

Stalker0

Legend
They can already do that.
Bonus before they kick down the door, then bonus action between their attacks. Plus the smite effect.

Better to keep your spell slot for a divine smite.

It's 2 level 1 spells and a level 2 spell.
So 4 spell levels, to cast a weaker greater invisibility.

No one is char-oping teams with 2 clerics in order to stack buffs. (Which is a perfectly RAW way to get around it concentration, just have more casters).

You only get 3 level 4 slots. 1 spent on the orb.
So that's 1 battle of double banishment, and your out for the day.

No one's complaining about sorcerer's spamming banishment.

Actually, it's pretty much exactly on par with twinned metamagic. Trade a level 4 slot for 4 SP, to twin banishment. Though without the action economy.

Alright, let me actually look at the book for 5 minutes and see what else I can come up with.

1) Alright Resilent Sphere + Flaming Sphere. Lock yourself in an invincible bubble while your sphere wrecks havoc.
2) Cast invisibility on the whole party and cake walk through a number of encounters.
3) Slow + any spell that creates really difficult terrain. That creature will never even get close enough to attack you.
4) Fly + Greater Invis: Alright note as one of the hokier combos from 3e.

That's a somewhat fair point.

But I still really want my players to kill an evil cleric and find a spell orb of cure wounds.
Or have the fighter stop at the local wizards guid to buy a fly spell.

So why not just give out/let them buy potions, scrolls, consumables, etc? If all you want is spell in a can loot that's a lot more tightly controllable than opening the Pandora's box on messing with the action/concentration economy.

mellored

Legend
Alright, let me actually look at the book for 5 minutes and see what else I can come up with.

1) Alright Resilent Sphere + Flaming Sphere. Lock yourself in an invincible bubble while your sphere wrecks havoc.
2) Cast invisibility on the whole party and cake walk through a number of encounters.
3) Slow + any spell that creates really difficult terrain. That creature will never even get close enough to attack you.
4) Fly + Greater Invis: Alright note as one of the hokier combos from 3e.

1: Nice combo. But my version, at least, doesn't allow it. A wizard can concentrate on the resilent spere, and the fighter can concentrate on the flaming sphere.
2: If you can just walk by, why do you need the whole party? Plus Clunkly Mc Armor isn't going to go unnoticed.
3: You can already do that with plant growth. Or just walking backwards.
4: Sounds fine for a using a level 3, 3, and 4 spells. That's 10 spell levels. And you still need an ally to cooperate with you. Seems fair.

So why not just give out/let them buy potions, scrolls, consumables, etc? If all you want is spell in a can loot that's a lot more tightly controllable than opening the Pandora's box on messing with the action/concentration economy.
I like the visual of spell orbs better than spell scrolls.

1.jpg

Ice_Magic_2_0_by_Konton_Kyoudai.jpg

Awakening_Spell.jpg

But yea. I want a "Create scroll" option.

mellored

Legend
Thank you. A good point.
Well to get back on topic.

Some combo's that could be fun.
Cloud of Daggers + Hold Person.
Charm + Fear.
Bless + Curse
Enlarge + Finger of Death (enlarge skeleton)
Polymorph + Dominate Beast
Fog Cloud + Storm sphere
Conjure Animal + Beast Bond
Create water + control water
Resilient orb + flaming shield
Web + Delayed Blast Fireball
Compulsion + Ottos Irresistible Dance.
Chain Lighting + Lighting Lure
Shatter + Mending.

Last edited:

Remove ads